The Pretty Good AE Debate

MoonSheep

image.png.b69be6b3afd1ec54adc300edcd6d6782.png

Getting sick of these nerfs.

• Haha 6

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

14 minutes ago, America's Angel said:

image.png.b69be6b3afd1ec54adc300edcd6d6782.png

Getting sick of these nerfs.

Glad to see Widower have a sense of humor.

(as long as Moon is okay with it)

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 7/19/2022 at 8:46 AM, luficia said:

Assumptions? You don't play the same content as I do. There's a serious problem grinding and not playing the game only to go try to do something like ITF and don't know what they are doing or because of the farm mentality is so high, they contribute nothing. I have to remove them.

This isn't a farming problem, it's a pug problem. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Troo said:

(as long as Moon is okay with it)

well if i wake up tomorrow morning to find this has become The Mediocre AE Debate i might start to get disappointed 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

7 hours ago, arcane said:

The only area I think they might have a point is PvP. I too am suspicious that the devs listen to a very specific slice of the PvP community over anyone else that might have an interest in PvP. But oh well, that’s on the devs. If they don’t want PvP to grow they can keep catering to an insular sub-community all they want.

Other than that, every other accusation of white knights or gatekeeping or whatever other meaningless buzzwords they like to throw at the wall… well they appear to be a bullshit scapegoats don’t they. Because the idea that guys like me have some sway over development… well that’s lizard people pizzagate talk right there.

Yeah, PvP changes tend to be done with PvPers in mind. One of the mistakes the live devs made was ignoring PvPers in favor of a phantom group of PvPers that "might exist one day if we just make XYZ changes...". This second group never materialised, but the changes the live devs introduced that put them first and PvPers second, led to a huge drop off in the number of actual PvPers in CoH. Fortunately, the Homecoming devs aren't repeating the same mistakes as the live devs.

And I think part of it is because the Homecoming devs, by their own admission, aren't PvPers, so they're happy to listen to PvPers when it comes to changes. This is why there's now free PvP accolades, free PvP level 50s, free PvP incarnates, a bunch of new PvP maps, etc. PvP is better now than it was at Homecoming launch. And that's because the devs took the initiative to ask PvPers what they wanted.

If it feels like there's some illuminati-esq cabal making PvP changes happen from the shadows...that's just because the PvP community is tiny and don't really post on the forums all that much. PvPers mostly just hang out and give feedback on Discord.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

Wait - what was the title before?

1 hour ago, Shadeknight said:

The Great AE Debate.

A few more days and it will be 'The Borderline Pathetic AE Debate'.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

11 hours ago, arcane said:

The only area I think they might have a point is PvP. I too am suspicious that the devs listen to a very specific slice of the PvP community over anyone else that might have an interest in PvP. But oh well, that’s on the devs. If they don’t want PvP to grow they can keep catering to an insular sub-community all they want.

My extremely tinfoil hat and not really serious conspiracy theory is this is the reason procs haven't been touched yet despite all of the talk of proc changes incoming. The PvP meta right now revolves entirely around procs and if that's changed it'll probably reshape the entire PvP landscape. 

spacer.png

@Lev N

Excelsior/Everlasting/Rebirth

🏒🍁🏳️‍🌈

17 hours ago, tidge said:

Please, can we all just give our likes and lock the thread so I know who won?

I clearly won the most thumbs down.

Move along, Citizen. Nothing new to see here.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

15 hours ago, Troo said:

The fact they think people expressing legit concerns over their changes funny speaks volumes.  I guess the "developers" just don't give a shit. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

15 hours ago, America's Angel said:

Yeah, PvP changes tend to be done with PvPers in mind. One of the mistakes the live devs made was ignoring PvPers in favor of a phantom group of PvPers that "might exist one day if we just make XYZ changes...". This second group never materialised, but the changes the live devs introduced that put them first and PvPers second, led to a huge drop off in the number of actual PvPers in CoH. Fortunately, the Homecoming devs aren't repeating the same mistakes as the live devs.

You forgot the third group: people that were very active PvP’ers that were and still are alienated. Pretending we don’t exist doesn’t tend to be any less alienating.

I don’t believe a day is coming when other PvP’ers outside of your sub-community will be listened to, so I don’t believe I’ll be going back. So no worries. Just saying, you’re missing some of the finer details.

Yes, i13 was bad. It’s the second-most alienating thing to me about the current PvP meta. Nobody disagrees with you there.

Edited by arcane
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/19/2022 at 12:04 AM, MoonSheep said:

what a shame - an opportunity to introduce slight and minor change to begin re-balancing the game was rolled back as the devs were scared off by a shrieking mob of infants

edit: me defending my post 

80A82D33-9713-42BC-A427-972788E4F826.jpeg

What a way to start a topic. Bravo, sir... bravo!

• Thumbs Down 1

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Gear Fox (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Brainwasher (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute)

2 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

why poke a wasp nest when you can take a running kick at it

9ABDB079-8F61-4E52-98D1-FDB65462BAFF.jpeg.af4e0a7637a085e0922f5085a5c4a201.jpeg

Oh man, that should be your signature!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Gear Fox (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Brainwasher (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute)

10 hours ago, arcane said:

You forgot the third group: people that were very active PvP’ers that were and still are alienated. Pretending we don’t exist doesn’t tend to be any less alienating.

I don’t believe a day is coming when other PvP’ers outside of your sub-community will be listened to, so I don’t believe I’ll be going back. So no worries. Just saying, you’re missing some of the finer details.

Yes, i13 was bad. It’s the second-most alienating thing to me about the current PvP meta. Nobody disagrees with you there.

Actually, I was including lapsed PvPers in the "PvPers" group. We have plenty of them giving imput/feedback in the various discords. (And I can't imagine they'd be against free accolades/incarnates/level 50s/new pvp maps/etc for PvP.)

The reason it might feel like lapsed PvPers are being ignored is due to how many man hours are being spent on PvP. As I mentioned in my above post, the devs are not PvPers. Developing this game is their hobby, and they want to spend their spare time making cool PvE stuff. That's completely fine and valid. Every now and then they throw PvPers a bone, which is nice of them. But, it's always low hanging fruit / minimal time investment stuff. This means all we (as a playerbase) can realistically expect for PvP changes are quick wins and minor tweaks.

Now, the sort of PvP changes that would appeal to lapsed PvPers would not be quick wins or minor tweaks. Such changes would require a grand overhaul. This would be a huge time investment. The man hours for this just aren't there.

In an idea world we'd revert to Issue 12 PvP rules and rebalance a bazillion things so that it balances as well as live. (While our current PvP system is counter-intuitive and a huge barrier to entry for most, it is objectively more balanced that Issue 12. So to make Issue 12 work there'd need to be a tonne of rebalancing going on.) Not only this, but we'd need to continue to maintain this balance every time a new PvE powerset/feature is added.

Until we get a PvP dev I can't see that realistically happening. That's the hand we've been dealt. We can't play any other.

Also, a possibly important caveat to the above: even if we were to get a PvP dev, who spent hundreds of hours a month making Issue 12 PvP both workable and balanced, we'd still run the risk of alienating some of the current PvPers. Now, I'd guess that most PvPers would be up for Issue-12-but-balanced. But most isn't all. So, even if this idea were implemented perfectly, we'd still lose people. (And if it were implemented imperfectly? It could lose everyone.)

We're getting a bit off topic here. If you want to start a new thread to discuss this I'm happy to chat more.

Edited by America's Angel