Any *old old* game things you kinda miss?

Gulbasaur

These were mostly things that were changed on Live, but I think one or two were Score/Homecoming changes. These are mostly things you can do as a self-imposed challenge, but I kind of miss the enforced difficulty. Too much of a good thing?

The slog between zones is something I have a sort of nostalgia for - I find I end up just teleporting around now. There used to be two monorail lines, leading to a moment where you'd have to brick it across Steel between missions. I oddly miss that enforced down time between missions. 

Quantums absolutely murdering Kheldians and those tanky void cysts. I know it was blatantly unfair, but back in i3 Kheldians were New Game Plus so the extra difficulty was a neat mechanic. 

Old-skool Defiance. Yes, it was a silly mechanic, but Blasters getting stronger as they took more damage was fun

Alignment lockin for Redside and Blueside starters and the ease of swapping alignment. I know it kind of hampers creativity a bit, but before Going Rogue combat had a different flow on each side. 

So... what are you nostalgic for? Put on those rose-tinted spectacles and reminisce with me. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

( 1 ) I miss when Exploration Badge Hunting actually required some skill to locate instead of just going to Markers on the Map. Even after they had all been documented it was still some work locating them by the Map Coordinates. You had to get help to get some of them with no travel powers till 14, you couldn't just zip your level 1 up to the top of the Atlas Statue.

( 2 ) I miss when the Old Hollows, Old Faultline and Old Dark Astoria were actually Intimidating. I think I learned more about how to play this game, as far as strategy, and how different ATs complimented each other, doing 8 person teams in those zones. The experience of having a team with odd mixes of ATs, and still finding success was unique to this game back then. I found those zones way more challenging than most in this game.

( 3 ) I also recall the little bit of anxiety that you would experience when you had to go from the Yellow Line to the Green Line in Steel Canyon or Skyway City. It was almost as much work as doing a mission sometimes just to get from point A to point B. Taxi-Bots were a whole Sub-Culture, and very appreciated. Recall Friend was probably one of the pool powers that people would take most often to just to help out team mates and stranded lowbies.

• Thumbs Up 8

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

8 minutes ago, Marine X said:

( 1 ) I miss when Exploration Badge Hunting actually required some skill to locate instead of just going to Markers on the Map. Even after they had all been documented it was still some work locating them by the Map Coordinates. You had to get help to get some of them with no travel powers till 14, you couldn't just zip your level 1 up to the top of the Atlas Statue.

I'm pretty sure that at least some of this is still possible. Aren't the markers on the maps exclusive to VidiotMaps? So if you don't run that add-on, you'll still have to hunt for them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Blaster defiance I wax nostalgic about but believe now the change was for the best. Blasting tier 1 and 2 attacks and Immob them right back I say is the blaster way now. 🙂

I miss doing the villain cape mission.

Also hanging out in old Dark Astoria for that slight hope you might see the elusive Adamastor.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

2 minutes ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

I'm pretty sure that at least some of this is still possible. Aren't the markers on the maps exclusive to VidiotMaps?

Absolutely, I guess I just mean it used show that you had put a lot of work into it if you had a lot of Badges. Back before Homecoming some of us participated in Paragon Chat. No Powers, No Missions, Nothing to do but....chat, then Codewalker ( PC Dev ) figured out how to enable Badge Hunting, It got busy, for about 2 weeks there were always people on, running around with Vidiot's Maps collecting them up, then it went back to dead after they burned off the only new toy.

I use Vidiot's Maps myself now, but I remember how much more it felt like an accomplishment back in the day, and on PC, to do it Old School. I have little time right now so I spend that playing more than Badge Hunting.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

I miss the old Yellow and Green lines for the Tram. You use to have to figure out how to get around the city, and it was fun and a challenge. There was a reason to be a part of a Supergroup as that group would work to build Telepads that could make getting around the city easier because it was a team effort. These days the Zones all seem empty of heroes and villains because everyone has a built in teleport system with a short cooldown, or everyone uses Ouroboros as a transport hub (which I absolutely hate). By making getting around the Paragon City and the Rogue Isles too easy, the Devs have made the game feel like a ghost town unless you happen to be hanging out in either Atlas Park or Mercy Island. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, KC4800 said:

Also hanging out in old Dark Astoria for that slight hope you might see the elusive Adamastor.

For me it was Croatoa and the AVs there. I remember waiting for the zone to download in issue... 4? It was literally magical.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

The Cape mission. 

PVP before the nerf and mostly base raids.

An actual villain population which was cutoff from blue unless you did the change over missions. 

The game has been made more convenient just like the world today.

I prefer to grow a garden and get veggies that way instead of the convenience of just buying from the store. I guess I prefer my game the same way, stuff should be earned in a way it makes it more wholesome and worthwhile. 

• Thumbs Up 4

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

I miss when Rooted in Stone Armor literally meant you couldn't move.  Wait, no I don't, that sucked donkey nads. (along with, what was it, Unyielding Stance in Invulnerability Armor).

I'll echo the nostalgia of no travel power until 14 and the separate tram lines, but remember all those "features" were a way to keep me subscribing and drawing the timeline out further and further...

Oh, and having to already leveled a 50, to start a Kheldian...

Edited by PLVRIZR
reworded
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

28 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

An actual villain population which was cutoff from blue unless you did the change over missions. 

I remember the first Valentines missions where you needed both heroes and villains onside. I brought my peacebringer and dwarfed up mid-fight and got a whisper from a villain asking me "how did u do that?" because he'd never seen it before. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

I remember the first Valentines missions where you needed both heroes and villains onside. I brought my peacebringer and dwarfed up mid-fight and got a whisper from a villain asking me "how did u do that?" because he'd never seen it before. 

First blaster I tp'd foe into a caltrops patch and then AS'd called me a cheater and a griefer in SC lol. Such good times, funny thing he was in there sniping villains which was ok lol.

• Haha 2

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

2 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:

For me it was Croatoa and the AVs there. I remember waiting for the zone to download in issue... 4? It was literally magical.

I was in the market for a new computer at the time and wound up getting one with an Ageia PhysX card just for Croatoa.  I must have spent 20 hours in that zone, just marveling at the swirling garbage and animated trees.

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

2 hours ago, PLVRIZR said:

I'll echo the nostalgia of no travel power until 14 and the separate tram lines, but remember all those "features" were a way to keep me subscribing and drawing the timeline out further and further...

I still don't usually take my travel power until at least 14  on blueside because you don't really need a travel power until then (though I do sometimes take it earlier when a character's concept really demands they be able to fly right from the start).

Redside is another matter, though.  Mercy without a travel power sucks.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Acroyear said:

I miss the old Yellow and Green lines for the Tram. You use to have to figure out how to get around the city, and it was fun and a challenge.

Heh, not that I miss it, but I was thinking just this morning that when I started CoH there wasn't a tram station at all in Founder's Falls.  You had to come in through Talos Island or Pocket D.  (And Pocket D was added just before I started playing.)  I remember coming in from Talos and street sweeping to level up enough to unlock the next set of contacts.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Snarky said:

If you turn off experience and solo a lot of content at lower levels you will knock most of that nostalgia away pretty fast 🙂

You, of all people, are the voice of authority on that.

6 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:

The slog between zones is something I have a sort of nostalgia for - I find I end up just teleporting around now. There used to be two monorail lines, leading to a moment where you'd have to brick it across Steel between missions. I oddly miss that enforced down time between missions. 

Quantums absolutely murdering Kheldians and those tanky void cysts. I know it was blatantly unfair, but back in i3 Kheldians were New Game Plus so the extra difficulty was a neat mechanic. 

So... what are you nostalgic for? Put on those rose-tinted spectacles and reminisce with me. 

I found the memorization and mental connection of fragmented routes to be a fun challenge, though I do see how our instant gratification movement allows for more fighting time.

I also miss the legions of taxibots helping players rapidly move around.  Their volunteer service was inspiring, and I always felt they represented the best of us.

I miss the Quants and cysts of old, too.  The quant gunners were actually a pretty solid threat to non-Kheldians as well, and there was nothing like rounding an innocent-looking hall corner and running into a void cyst to get a team in a heart-stopping, sweaty-palmed panic.  Quants nowadays are a joke.  "What was that?  A heat lamp?  Somebody turned a heat lamp my way!"

I miss the hilarity of travel before a travel power, and travel when all you had was hover.  That first Winter Lord event:  my best friend and I were working Kings Row, and all too often we'd have to slog up fire escapes to deal with the snow beasts at the top of a building.  Then spot another one on another building.  Jump down, hunt for another fire escape.  Then you unlock hover.  Crossing a small zone be like:  I'm coming........  Be there in, oh, five minutes......maybe seven......  But it's worth it. I'm safe up here.....You might want to fix a sandwich or take a loo break or something....... It's cool, I'm safe up here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Overpowered regen: soloing multiple Giant monsters in peregrine island as a claws/regen scrapper.  Crowds would gather, tanks joined in and died, but nothing could take down that scrapper.  I guess I see why it was nerfed.

Edited by zenijos10

I liked the scrappy pre-Safeguard travel powers, pre-inherent Stamina Hallow experience. Low levels are too streamlined these days. Frostfire was such a fun rite of passage. I'd be surprised if anyone still runs teams for that content.

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

I miss teaming with a friend and using unlimited aggro to kite large numbers of any type of foes into dumpsters and reaping what seemed like lots of XP on fire tanks before brutes were invented.

I miss the first time I, as a newb, saw a lvl 50 devouring earth Fungi emanator in a low-ish zone and was afraid to get near it because it was so far above my level.

I miss the first time I entered Steel canyon and was owned by Outcasts that could fly before I had the option to fly.

2 hours ago, Normal Thomas said:

Frostfire was such a fun rite of passage. I'd be surprised if anyone still runs teams for that content.

I still see calls for Hollows teams in general and Frostie in specific on Excelsior now and again.  If I can, I drop what I'm doing and join in because they often don't get many takers.

I miss low level play, everyone is in such a rush nowadays. 

I miss tactical play, battles nowadays (at all levels) are ungraceful zerg rushes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)