Troo

AE Vet Levels -or- Empyrean to Reward Merits  

152 members have voted

1. 1. please select a preference

• no AE XP post-50
    • no more Empyrean/Merit conversions
    • is there a third option?

4 hours ago, Logansan said:

I may had missed it, but the only proposal from you I could find was talking about replacing the current "threads" you get with veteran levels with this new currency.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just replace the (same amount) of Empyrion Merits you get with Veteran Levels with this new type of non-tradeable item ("Veteran Empyrions"?), and have them work the same way as you outline above? I haven't seen anyone mentioned that the threads you get for veteran levels are a problem, only the Empyrions.

I proposed a somewhat similar idea in another thread, but this sounds a hell of lot easier to implement then mine.

The original I posted was here: 

Veteran Merits would be awarded one-for-one instead of Empyrion Merits at ever vet Level that Awarded Emps, and one-for-twenty instead of Threads at veteran levels that awarded threads.

Veteran levels would only award these new, non-convertible Veteran Merits. And, if I've added the numbers up right, getting to veteran level 99 would award a total of 458 Veteran Merits, and that would be enough to make a tier-4 boost for every incarnate slot, and even have a handful left over in case a person made a mistake or two along the way.

Empyrion Merits could only be gotten from running content that specifically awards Empyrion Merits.  Emp merits could stay as flexible and convertible as ever.

• Like 2

I like the idea of keeping AE from granting Vet Levels over Emp Merits unable to be turned into Reward Merits.  Because really, that's just handy for players and especially new players.

Then famers can do some TFs until they hit whatever vet level they feel they don't need anymore.  Though, I'd think they do content besides farming anyways.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, BrandX said:

I like the idea of keeping AE from granting Vet Levels over Emp Merits unable to be turned into Reward Merits.  Because really, that's just handy for players and especially new players.

This is my preference of the poll alternatives we have.

I think my proposal brings Veteran Levels back more in line with their original intent from the Score server -- to make it practical to get incarnated in a very small population community, but as someone said, that's probably not going to happen now that's been the way it is for so long.

I don't really like either option, to be honest, but neither affects me. I don't farm in AE or otherwise, and I don't convert emps to merits either. Each poll option has a very negative effect on someone, but at least the No Veteran Levels from AE option is more focused on those who're (presumably) the concern of the devs. The other option hits a lot of other folks, who may never even touch AE, very hard.

2 hours ago, Andreah said:

I don't really like either option, to be honest, but neither affects me. I don't farm in AE or otherwise, and I don't convert emps to merits either. Each poll option has a very negative effect on someone, but at least the No Veteran Levels from AE option is more focused on those who're (presumably) the concern of the devs. The other option hits a lot of other folks, who may never even touch AE, very hard.

Although it's very easy to forget they exist, there are actually people who do use AE for its original intended purpose.  They already take the hit for lower AE rewards v. non-AE play, so it seemed particularly unfair to then also cut them out of post-50 XP progress there.

• Thanks 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

On 7/31/2022 at 5:00 PM, ShardWarrior said:

Again, not accusing anyone in specific however different accounts having an avatar and a post history is not solid evidence of unique individuals either.  You can easily have one person using multiple accounts to post support or dissenting opinion to ideas to make it look like there is a lot of interest in a given point of view.

what if all of us on this thread are the same person?

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, arcane said:

Then we need some serious psychotherapy

And we have epic multitasking skills.

• Haha 1

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Gear Fox (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Brainwasher (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute)

20 hours ago, Andreah said:

, they cannot be transferred. They can only be used to craft incarnate components that are also character bound. Everything received from veteran levels can only be used to craft incarnate abilities for that character alone. 

And right there is where you pushed me straight into "Nope"-territory.

That makes them much less useful than Emps to those of us solo-Incarnating characters.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

8 hours ago, Andreah said:

This is my preference of the poll alternatives we have.

I think my proposal brings Veteran Levels back more in line with their original intent from the Score server -- to make it practical to get incarnated in a very small population community, but as someone said, that's probably not going to happen now that's been the way it is for so long.

For me, I have converted Emp Merits to Reward Merits, but I've also used them to get my Incarnate's finished.  Since I do Incarnate content (ApeMage the big one), it's usually to get those Very Rares taken care of faster/easier.

I am tired of people trying to tell me how to play. farmers are no more hurting the game then marketeers. No, the game economy is not a real one. No, I will not in any way be joining you in running arcs. I play with my friends, or solo. I dont particularly like itrials. It isnt that I cant, I just dont like them. I will do everything in the game possible solo, including soloing a dr q. I see these changes to agro and the like as trying to micromanage a game that already works. I never converted emps. probably never will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thinking about this a bit more, would it be possible to reduce the number of EMP merits granted by the Vet levels by half?  So instead of like 10 per 3 Vet levels or whatever make it 5.  Still provides the nice bonus with "normal/right play" content being the better source for them. 

9 hours ago, ivanhedgehog said:

I am tired of people trying to tell me how to play. farmers are no more hurting the game then marketeers.

Who's telling you how to play?

Don't like some parts of the game, don't do it.

The HC team has taken great care to allow both team and solo play.

Baseline regarding:

On 7/31/2022 at 9:12 AM, Faultline said:

devs don't want AE to be the best source of every reward out there,

When things fall outside tolerances adjustments are required.

On 7/31/2022 at 6:58 PM, Number Six said:

a set of circumstances that encourages a very particular type of abuse involving a cycle of deleting and re-creating characters to take advantage of the frontloaded and limited supply of Empyreans.

These targeted quotes are only to show the expectation, and then the recognition that something has been identified outside the expectation tolerance. As opposed to telling anyone how to play.

Edited by Troo
  • Thumbs Up 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

14 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

And right there is where you pushed me straight into "Nope"-territory.

I didn't expect many people to like the idea. Fortunately, I don't get to make development decisions -- I have a lot of really bad ideas! :D 

9 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Thinking about this a bit more, would it be possible to reduce the number of EMP merits granted by the Vet levels by half?  So instead of like 10 per 3 Vet levels or whatever make it 5.  Still provides the nice bonus with "normal/right play" content being the better source for them. 

Please, no.  They are set up nicely now to quickly get to +3 level shifts, then T3 to all, with T4 possible with only vet levels by 99.  Changing the drops would change that nice progression.

3 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Please, no.  They are set up nicely now to quickly get to +3 level shifts, then T3 to all, with T4 possible with only vet levels by 99.  Changing the drops would change that nice progression.

Would be faster to run back to back iTrials to get everything you need to get to T4 I think.  The problem seems to be EMP merits from Vet levels being "too good" in relation to "normal/right" play and buffing the EMP merit drops from iTrials does not seem to be on the table, so was trying to think of a compromise.  I never said it was a perfect idea. 😁

• Like 1

I-trials may be faster, but your proposal greatly curtails solo incarnate progress.  So again, no thank you.

The "problem" that I think they are trying to solve is that more and more players are doing nothing but AE and that some players are doing AE AFK 24/7 on multiple accounts and reaping tremendous rewards in Inf, Emp Merits, and (since Emp merits are convertible) reward merits. 

If you can get everything you need in AE and faster than anywhere else, why do anything else?

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

If you can get everything you need in AE and faster than anywhere else, why do anything else?

I know you're not begrudging AE.

Maybe implying that rewards should be somewhat on par regardless of how someone chooses to play.

Edited by Troo
flea sized edits
  • Thumbs Down 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

5 hours ago, Pzn said:

No change from how it is currently on live.   If you want a different system then we need a fresh start with no character transfers or it's unfair to new players.

As already stated, we know from experience that it is possible to purple and boost 100+ 50’s to the teeth without ever converting a single Empyrean Merit, so it is obvious that removing that conversion won’t seriously affect new players.

I agree the vet level change could arguably seen as unfair to new players though, even though I stand ready to farm Harvey Maylor’s mission if I have to.

5 minutes ago, Troo said:

I know you're not begrudging AE but simply implying that rewards should be somewhat even regardless of how someone chooses to play.

I'm stating what I think the problem the HC team is trying to solve.

*Thumbs down to add to your impressive collection*

Me, personally, I am against systematic AFK farming, especially multi-box AFK farming, with extra hate reserved for automated multi-box AFK farming. 

I don't care or mind that AE Fire Farming is the fastest method to get XP and Inf, but I would prefer that it not be multiple times better than anything else.  But I am not sure how much better AE Fire Farming actually is or should be compared to  the next best thing.

Edited by Bionic_Flea
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1