RIP Nichelle Nichols aka Uhura

89 wow...so sad. Always liked her and Scottys shenanigans.

"Nichelle Nichols, who played Lt Uhura in original Star Trek, dies aged 89 | Star Trek | The Guardian" https://amp.theguardian.com/culture/2022/jul/31/nichelle-nichols-lt-uhura-star-trek-dies

Edited by The_Warpact
Misspelled
  • Sad 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

• The_Warpact changed the title to RIP Nichelle Nichols aka Uhura

Damn.  

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Hell of an actress. Hell of a singer. And had many, many fans...

...when you see someone like that on-screen - especially when clearly an important part of the crew and the show, not any kind of a screaming damsel, you think... 

...I could do that. And people did. Not just on telly - Whoopi Goldberg in particular - but for reals.

May she rest in light. And if there's any of those particularly beautiful cosmic phenomenae JWST is picking up are going spare... 

...The Uhura Nebula has got a ring to it.

PS: on the "damsel" note, she did manage to sneak the best ad-lib joke in the original series past the censors in Naked Time:

SULU: [half-naked with epée] I shall defend you, fair maiden! 

UHURA: [annoyed] Sorry, neither. 😁

PPS: I ran across a lovely thing on Twitter while writing this. According to a set dressing detail in ST:Picard, after the Enterprise crew went their separate ways, Nyota went on to become captain of the Leondegrance - a custom long-range exploration vessel in which she set the record for new First Contacts. Following a refit, the LdG became a training vessel. Thousands of new cadets got their first taste of warp and Speed Of Light Certificate, under the watchful eye of Captain Uhura...

...including one gawky young Frenchman with appalling hair but a promising attitude. 

I'd like to see that story.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

Most people spend their entire lives with no impact on the world.
Far fewer labor and toil to make the world sit up and take notice.
Nichols made it look EASY.
Then, just to show others how far out of her league they were, she set the world on fire with her lips...

1665058071_FZBqeZDXoAEHIlS1.thumb.jpg.16c624409bdaecaaa591f762d40de1f9.jpg
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

1 hour ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

PS: on the "damsel" note, she did manage to sneak the best ad-lib joke in the original series past the censors in Naked Time:

SULU: [half-naked with epée] I shall defend you, fair maiden! 

UHURA: [annoyed] Sorry, neither.

Naked Time!  That was it.  When I heard the news, that was the first thing I thought of, but I couldn't remember where it came from.  Thanks for that.

Will be binge-watching the original series in honor of her memory.

• Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

All the TNG, Disco, SNW and Lower Decks crew have been reporting in with tributes. 

I really like this one (from one of the LD key character artists.)

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

I have been expecting this.  Not wishing this, mind you, but, well, bracing for it based on some reports regarding her health that I've seen for a few years now.

I think one of the most interesting things about the oft-controversial Star Trek alternate universe "remake" series was how they fleshed out their version of Nyota Uhura, fiesty, intelligent both passionate and compassionate. arriving complete with a first name (first given in the books).   All of that was possible because Nichelle willingly endured an often under-developed character with only a single name to have a chance to break new ground and make a difference.  By the time of the movies, Nichelle began to get more notable moments, such as Uhura's staged takeover of a teleporter station in The Search For Spock, or her The Undiscovered Country battle-winning suggestion of shooting a torpedo at the cloaked enemy's "tailpipe".  And of course, within the original series itself there was that one break-through episode, Plato's Stepchildren that everyone likes to talk about.  It's among my favorite episodes, not because of the sci-fi (fruit that gives humans and Vulcans telekinetic powers? And it never sees the light of day again?  Much like the equally game-changing Khan's blood or galactic teleporting, it should never have been added to script), but because the episode gave two very worthy people a chance to shine:  Nichelle, and the little actor with huge talent, Michael Dunn.

Nichelle had a marvelous singing voice, too, and I'm glad she was able to use it occasionally within Star Trek.  Even if it was singing saccharine songs  of outer space romance.