I have found the source of all pain and suffering in the game

Behold!

20220802_110254.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thumbs Down 4

Smashing/Lethal Farmer and a Giant Monster Hunter on Excelsior

Monster Hunters: Blue Idoru (Main, Elec/Kin Corruptor), Kurodoru (Dark/Dark Brute), Canadian Content (Rad/Atom Blaster)

Try Arc IDs: 44869 "The Orb" - Smashing/Lethal Farm on the Troll Cave map with 99 mobs, all patrols.  45166 "Hail The Orb" - Smashing/Lethal Farm on the Dreck Freakshow map with 151 mobs, 61 Elite Bosses

Farmers: Freak Out (Rad/Fire Brute, Fire Farmer), Dara Kill (Dark/Spines Tanker, S/L Farmer), Freak Fire (Fire/Rad Tanker, Farm Everything), Blue Idoru (Main, Elec/Kin Corr, Farm Anything), Spidoru (Crabbermind, Farm Anything), various other fighters and support.

26 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Unironically, the AE has been a problem even for all the potential it has.

also i remember this box art fondly.

What do you see as being a problem?

The entire discussion around the prior No EXP at 50 change & its replacement No more Emp Merit -> Reward Merit change answers that for me.

The long story short, the misuse of it to create a multitude of farms that, unfortunately, are so deeply rooted within the game that uprooting that sub-section of Mobile Idle Game gameplay is going to cause a lot of backlash. Well it's more like is and has, but wording semantics aside.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

unknown.png
i am the forum cop.
fear my keyboard strokes.

entitlement is stored in the [redacted]!

37 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Unironically, the AE has been a problem even for all the potential it has.

also i remember this box art fondly.

There's a good reason why Cryptic Studios removed the Foundry (their newer version of Mission Architect) from Star Trek Online and Neverwinter, and never added it to Champions Online.  I strongly suspect that, had City of Heroes continued to live on, Paragon Studios would eventually reach the same conclusion and remove Mission Architect from City of Heroes as well.

Edited by Astralock
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

They tried to nuke the farming thing and it backfired horribly unfortunately. If I remember right, it had a way worse backlash on the forums. 

But this isn't a City of Heroes under Paragon Studios.

unknown.png
i am the forum cop.

1 minute ago, Shadeknight said:

They tried to nuke the farming thing and it backfired horribly unfortunately. If I remember right, it had a way worse backlash on the forums. 

But this isn't a City of Heroes under Paragon Studios.

Weirdly, a lot of people play purely to farm. I guess it's the pathetic version of what other games call "raids". No, I don't know why either.

• Like 1

I understand that people play purely to do that, and while I do like to try going "More power to you.", its also weighed against it being the unintended consequence of how the AE and/or game was designed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

unknown.png
i am the forum cop.

As in so many stories, the greatest gift can also somehow be a problem.

• Like 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I still have a copy of this because one of my characters is in the picture on the back.

(Also, AE is awesome- you can make your own enemies and missions! That's really cool. Who cares what other people are doing with it?)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

I can't fathom why a gaming studio wouldn't want people to make content for free. It's a cost effective strategy, assuming they make the necessary legal mumbo jumbo happen, all that user generated content is theirs to profit off of. 

It's like Halo and it's Forge tool and user community. Halo Infinite has been out for a year now and the gaming studio running the show has been in a content drought analogous to the water drought in the Western United States. They could've made Forge available on release, but some gaming executive probably nixed that idea due to some spreadsheet or PowerPoint arguments. 

Am I bitter? No no no, yes 😆 

1 hour ago, Astralock said:

There's a good reason why Cryptic Studios removed the Foundry (their newer version of Mission Architect) from Star Trek Online and Neverwinter, and never added it to Champions Online.  I strongly suspect that, had City of Heroes continued to live on, Paragon Studios would eventually reach the same conclusion and remove Mission Architect from City of Heroes as well.

I cannot speak to Neverwinter, however in STO the Foundry was removed because the primary Developer who built it left the company.  Each time new assets were added to the game in a new update, something in the Foundry would break, causing a lot of hours to be spent troubleshooting and fixing.  It was time Cryptic did not want to invest with each update, nor did they want to invest the time to rebuild it, so they removed it.  It had nothing to do with power leveling or farming and anyone claiming that is the reason it was removed from STO is full of shit.  There are far easier, far more efficient and far better ways to farm in game currencies in STO than there was in the Foundry. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Neverwinter's Foundry has the same issue - people finding ways to abuse it into getting the most out of it with the least amount of work.

It suffered just as the AE does/did. The difference being that I think Neverwinter's Foundry wasn't entirely removed for the abuse, so it didn't suffer the backlash or not as hard as touching the AE did and does.

unknown.png
i am the forum cop.

AE was such a brilliant idea, I hope one day it somehow gets fixed to really live up to its potential.  A complete overhaul of the tagging and search system would be an excellent start.

• Thumbs Up 3

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

50 minutes ago, Herotu said:

Who IS Cosmic Bleed?! What's their story?

Agent 6 is a spinoff in the making

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

People will always move toward the path of least resistance;  Trying to patch one hole just reveals 2 more.  While I agree that there should be a balance of risk vs reward, the bigger question is how many resources are you willing to devote to the continuous process of identifying and patching such holes?  Will radio missions get removed next?  How about Warwolf Portal Corp missions?  Maybe remove sidekicking altogether?  I've said it multiple times - as long as you know how to play your character, I couldn't care less how you gained your levels...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like to do Story Arc solo. It's not like read everything or am constantly astonished by the plot twist or anything, but it helps mix up the type of content a little, provides a little structure to the levelling process and the Merits at the end is always welcome.   There is a limit to how fresh you can make the same old content over and over again, but I try not to do always the same stories, rotate between Red, Blue and Gold characters and takes breaks.  Alignment missions are too bad, though the morality missions at the very end quickly get to feel very repetitive.

What I've not really taken enough advantage of are the Signature Stories. I've done a couple but the whole find the right contact at the right level tends to throw me a little. I probably just need to bookmark a good guide.

• Like 1

Surely, somewhere, there's a server where people are playing the "right" way and everybody who's suffering from AE existing could rapture themselves over there and leave the rest of us behind

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, Luminara said:

I was expecting a picture of @Troo.

I am disappoint.

2122459580_Troocard.thumb.png.abe3043ed0e1a6995eb4da7df6018c0e.png

In full vintage glory

Edited by Troo
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

AE was such a brilliant idea, I hope one day it somehow gets fixed to really live up to its potential.  A complete overhaul of the tagging and search system would be an excellent start.

I still also say that it needs some kind of rejiggering (probably a huge mess to contemplate) so that everyone on a team can see all the clues, introductions, etc.  Otherwise you're trying to run it with a team leader who has to cut and paste or just tell you what all they're reading.  Make it really workable for a group, and I think that would help.

And yeah, cutting out the farming, he said, just before the rotten fruit started flying.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Hi, I'm Clave Dark 5!  You may remember me from such characters as King Pumpkin Spice, Stupid Like A Fox, Capt Sam's Space Zoo, The Midnight Bridge, Trash Ghost, and Maid Of Metal, as well as a few really stupid AE arcs!

2 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I still also say that it needs some kind of rejiggering (probably a huge mess to contemplate) so that everyone on a team can see all the clues, introductions, etc.  Otherwise you're trying to run it with a team leader who has to cut and paste or just tell you what all they're reading.  Make it really workable for a group, and I think that would help.

That isn't even an AE-specific change.  Making mission text available to everyone on the team would benefit the whole game, and it baffles me that it wasn't done like that from the start.  I assume it would be a PITA to actually fix, though, since many of the newer missions obviously recognize the issue and try to work around it by having critical text broadcast to the whole team.

• Thumbs Up 3

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!