Loud or obnoxious, what are the worst sounds in the game?

gameboy1234

14 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Yeah the incessant demon roars are annoying, that's why I changed mine to infant giggles.

Same goes for the MM Bots constant tromp-tromp-tromp every time they move. They wear rubber duckies on their feet now.

I knew about the kittie sounds for demons in the CoH Modder, but conceptually those sound hilarious as well.  I like using a robot MM, but the noise is annoying, certainly.  Maybe I can find a soft shoe dance sound for them, or at least basketball court sneaker sounds.  

This makes me wonder if 3D sound would actually fix a lot of this.  One of the few disappointments I had after discovering HC was discovering 3D audio no longer worked.  If it did, it might actually attenuate a lot of these sounds by their distance and direction to you.  Instead it's like everything happens directly between your own ears, making those particularly annoying sound effects even worse, I think.

4 hours ago, Krimson said:

I main an Elec/Kin Corr and my solution since around November 2019 is to not take Repel. 

Playing since 2004, I don't think I've ever seen anyone with Kinetics take Repel and only ever see it when Gravity users pull out the Singularity.

• Thumbs Up 2

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Dynamo under the blaster's Electricity Manipulation set is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.  At least the looping sound fades away now; the old aura power prior to the rework didn't.

I replaced the demons' idle sounds with a blank sound file before I rolled a Demons MM.  It was the only way I could stand to play the powerset.

6 hours ago, Black Zot said:

To be fair, if a tank army is following you down the road, people aren't really looking at YOU, are they?

That's the problem; it seems as if, no matter how much damage my bots do when I tell them to attack, the first riposte from the target is always directed at me, not the bots attacking them.

7 hours ago, srmalloy said:

I will never understand the idiocy behind the decision to make the Bots feet bare metal when rubber/elastomer pads would not only be quieter but give better traction. It's like trying to be stealthy with the Soviet Fifth Tank Army behind you.

That sounds so much like something that would show up in some British absurdist sketch comedy.  Take a step, 30 tanks tread up a half meter.  Look to make sure your left flank is clear, 30 turrets' grind to look left, etc. etc.

How could I forget Kinetic Melee?  Conceptually, the idea of using racecar-like sounds comes across as neat-o keen, but the reality is really annoying.  Of course, they tell me there's a lot of issues with that powerset, so lack of players using it kind of fixes the issue for now.

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

That sounds so much like something that would show up in some British absurdist sketch comedy.  Take a step, 30 tanks tread up a half meter.  Look to make sure your left flank is clear, 30 turrets' grind to look left, etc. etc.

Kind of appropriate, too, given that the character that I have the footstep-sound issues with is a Bots MM whose backstory is that he was a Soviet military project to create a semi-autonomous director for teams of combat robots that became sentient, then began altering or ignoring its orders when it determined that alternate tactics were more effective. The project was shut down, with everything stuffed away in storage, until an earthquake triggered an incompletely-shut-down sensor. If I ever work out how to write a believable fight scene, I'll go back and finish the six and a half pages of background for him (it just kind of ballooned).

On 8/6/2022 at 12:35 PM, Krimson said:

Demon MMs are why I play the game with the sound off. 

Oh, you would love my Demons/EA mastermind.  Thing is a steamroller, but it's just a constant stream of  ROOOOOWWR BZZZT BZZZT BZZZT ROOOOOWWR BZZZT BZZZT

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

9 hours ago, roleki said:

Oh, you would love my Demons/EA mastermind.  Thing is a steamroller, but it's just a constant stream of  ROOOOOWWR BZZZT BZZZT BZZZT ROOOOOWWR BZZZT BZZZT

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

The worst sets for me are Energy Melee and the "thrumming" sound after the attacks and the Ice Melee sword attacks (Ice Sword/Greater Ice Sword) where you get the non-stop artic wind sound that NEVER ENDS until you trigger some other power.  Also, any pets (MM, Controller, or Dominator) that are constating howling, barking, growling, etc. 

Oh hey replies.  I assumed the boards would ping me if there were any but it looks like not.

Yeah in general I play with the sound and music set to 20% in the Options menu, and then I turn the master volume down about halfway on my PC.  I can turn it up for a bit if I want to locate an objective quickly but most of the time I leave it set really low.  If I forget ... well my ears will tell me quickly.  Headphones are dangerous with this game.

So I guess another question is: Do we NEED to address any sounds?  Or if they're all really loud to we just turn the sound down (or mute) and not bother with it?  Maybe the sound levels should be set at 25% by default in-game (still rather loud ime) and let players adjust further if they need to.

Do any sounds really stand out as needing fixing even if the volume is turned way down?  (It seems like some sounds play constantly, including MM pets, and those might perhaps need to be looked out.)

Edited by gameboy1234

For me, without exception, the worst sound in this game is that stupid yell from the Legionarii (I think that's who's screaming) in the ITF. It is a big part of the reason I try to avoid doing that ITF unless I have a very clear reason to run it. 

I liken it to fingernails on a chalkboard. 

Right now I'm noticing the most obnoxious thing is the Tarzan yell the game does when I activate Tough.  Not only that, but every time I log into a new zone or mission the game seems to insist on replaying one of the toggle's animations, and that one always seems to get picked.  It's pretty uncool that the game seems to insist on replaying animations in general when I enter a zone, would be nice to see that go away.  But yeah this one is kinda especially bad.

10 hours ago, gameboy1234 said:

Right now I'm noticing the most obnoxious thing is the Tarzan yell the game does when I activate Tough.  Not only that, but every time I log into a new zone or mission the game seems to insist on replaying one of the toggle's animations, and that one always seems to get picked.  It's pretty uncool that the game seems to insist on replaying animations in general when I enter a zone, would be nice to see that go away.  But yeah this one is kinda especially bad.

Easy fix for this. Go to Power Customization and Select the Flex Option for Tough. It stops the noise 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/8/2022 at 5:07 PM, srmalloy said:

That's the problem; it seems as if, no matter how much damage my bots do when I tell them to attack, the first riposte from the target is always directed at me, not the bots attacking them.

Keep the bots on Defensive, and use a destructable pet like the P2W drones (or seekers if you have the Traps secondary) to attract fire.  The bots will respond with an alpha strike that usually carves up whatever attacked your poor drone.   Also remember that if you set your bots on Defensive Follow, they'll share damage dealt to you (Bodyguard Mode), so provoking a mob by firing at them isn't as painful as it first sounds... and again, your crew will answer all aggression with overwhelming force. 🙂 

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

On 8/5/2022 at 11:28 PM, gameboy1234 said:

Please note if the sound is simply too loud, or if it has other issues that need addressing.

The fluorescent lights in Praetorian content.

An annoying sound to begin with and far too loud. I see no reason for this sound other than to annoy people.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.