Whatever happened to Fire/Rad trollers???

The_Warpact

On 8/13/2022 at 3:00 AM, The_Warpact said:

Whatever happened to Fire/Rad trollers???

Controllers innit.

I like controlling but a support secondary? :((( no thanks.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

1 hour ago, Hyperstrike said:

Again, run them in teams.  You too will see the light...

That's the opposite of what I like, everybody constantly wants rebuffing and healing! Ugh! Not to mention anchors! Stop killing my anchors! OMG, the mechanics of support are HORRIBLE!

Edited by Herotu

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

1 hour ago, Herotu said:

That's the opposite of what I like, everybody constantly wants rebuffing and healing! Ugh! Not to mention anchors! Stop killing my anchors! OMG, the mechanics of support are HORRIBLE!

The Green Monster is kinda how you survive.
And your rebuffing is how EVERYONE does mass damage

As for anchors.  This is why you target through a team lead.
Plus, who needs anchors when everything's dead?

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

39 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

The Green Monster is kinda how you survive.
And your rebuffing is how EVERYONE does mass damage

As for anchors.  This is why you target through a team lead.
Plus, who needs anchors when everything's dead?

Skip anchor powers, gotcha, thanks. 🙂

When I was on, it seemed Fire/Kin was the big FOTM. It was supposedly the best farmer at the time (before AE came out). For /rad, it seems like it was mostly paired with Ill/. I remember the first time it was reported that Lusca was duo'ed, back when that monster was a beast. It either before IOs or just after they came out. Done by a pair of Ill/Rads, it took like 6 hours. Basically, anything/Rad was considered pretty OP.

I think it is become less popular because, even though it is a great all-around workhorse, there are other things that focus on stuff people want better. /Cold for ripping away Resistances & Defenses. /Pain is good, as is /Time. /Traps, big Regen debuff. /Poison, particularly good against Hamidon, big Res debuff. 

4 hours ago, Herotu said:

Controllers innit.

I like controlling but a support secondary? :((( no thanks.

Allow me to introduce you to /Storm. Strips them of any hope of defense, then destroys them with lightning bolts of doom, rain of pain, and 'nado of... playdough. 

Personally, I am macking on /Dark these days. I have a Fire/Dark that just roffle-stomps stuff. Not as fast as a some others, but ridiculously safe, while being fast enough. Great for teaming.

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2022 at 9:38 AM, Bionic_Flea said:

Local Man!  I know that name.

Yeah, I am a bit frustrated that someone here "stole" my global name before I found Homecoming.  Because I was very active on the Live Controller forums and wrote several popular guides, people kind of knew my name.  I had to resort to a similar but different name.

• Sad 1

On 8/22/2022 at 2:53 PM, Hyperstrike said:

No.  You toss them and then use them to cook the living *BLEEP!* outta things.

Indeed!  Though I'm guessing unless it's an EB or higher they won't last long enough to truly matter.  Toggles are really for the up rank foes.  The rest are barbecuing Imp bait courtesy of Hot Feet and Chocking Cloud (and 24 crazed Imps).

59 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Indeed!  Though I'm guessing unless it's an EB or higher they won't last long enough to truly matter.  Toggles are really for the up rank foes.  The rest are barbecuing Imp bait courtesy of Hot Feet and Chocking Cloud (and 24 crazed Imps).

*FLAMING PIMP-SLAP TO THE DANGLIES!*

"AUUUUGH!"

• Haha 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

3 hours ago, kelika2 said:

On homecoming its much easier to have an epic'ed out build either through farming or playing hard.

Illusion does more damage and can do more things that Fire cannot do.

Illusion is a very potent set indeed but a full team of Ill/Rads won't begin to match a full team of Fire/Rads.  PA isn't going to put out the damage of 24 damage capped Flaming Monkies of Death as you can't buff them on top of the damage from Hot Feet (and Bonfire these days) of the Fire Controllers.  All that stacked AM is largely wasted on Illusion and PA.

So yes a small team or solo Ill/Rad will likely do more than a solo (duo, trio) of FRads.  But as the team size climbs the FRads are going to catch and surpass Ill/Rads.

32 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Illusion is a very potent set indeed but a full team of Ill/Rads won't begin to match a full team of Fire/Rads.  PA isn't going to put out the damage of 24 damage capped Flaming Monkies of Death as you can't buff them on top of the damage from Hot Feet (and Bonfire these days) of the Fire Controllers.  All that stacked AM is largely wasted on Illusion and PA.

So yes a small team or solo Ill/Rad will likely do more than a solo (duo, trio) of FRads.  But as the team size climbs the FRads are going to catch and surpass Ill/Rads.

so if the sun moon and stars align?

Both Fire/ and /Rad aren't as popular, so that combo is seen even less popular.  I imagine it's for several reasons depending on the player: long animations, not a "healer", no defense/resist buffs, toggles, pets, and so on.

I did make one but running everything at +4/8 means that the imps are pointless, always dead.  So it was underwhelming.

Honestly I only have three controllers in my repertoire now with a number of tried ones.  Personally I still play plant/storm, illusion/Kinetics and gravity/dark in that order 

10 hours ago, Guffnat said:

How would a Super Team of 8 Fire/Poison compare to 8 Fire/Rad? I would assume that they could be even more deadly.

Not sure.  I've no direct experience with Poison.  But it's a strong debuff set and 8 of them focused on a single hard target is going to make it pretty squishy.  That said it faces a few issues in overtaking RadEm ... poor regen debuff relatively (-50% vs -500% + slow), no way to buff its own damage outside stacking Assault and no self recharge buff. Stacked AM is a +240% recharge buff and a +160% damage buff.  FRads will be almost certainly at the recharge cap and almost the damage cap when all is said and done.  Not sure the extra resistance debuff in Poison can overcome that.  Then Incarnates come into it and well that throws all sorts of spaghetti at the wall.  

15 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Not sure.  I've no direct experience with Poison.  But it's a strong debuff set and 8 of them focused on a single hard target is going to make it pretty squishy.  That said it faces a few issues in overtaking RadEm ... poor regen debuff relatively (-50% vs -500% + slow), no way to buff its own damage outside stacking Assault and no self recharge buff. Stacked AM is a +240% recharge buff and a +160% damage buff.  FRads will be almost certainly at the recharge cap and almost the damage cap when all is said and done.  Not sure the extra resistance debuff in Poison can overcome that.  Then Incarnates come into it and well that throws all sorts of spaghetti at the wall.  

I would place my bet on 8 rads over 8 poison.  

Edited by FUBARczar
Lol auto correct
  • Thumbs Up 3

22 hours ago, FUBARczar said:

Both Fire/ and /Rad aren't as popular, so that combo is seen even less popular. 

Data is from 2020, but Fire was #1 for primary and Rad was #2 for secondary. The combo itself was 8th.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

16 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

Data is from 2020, but Fire was #1 for primary and Rad was #2 for secondary. The combo itself was 8th.

Is this for characters started?

How about ones that reach 50?

Also I am just speaking from my own observance.  I run hardmode, +4/8 content, shortman duos & trios, etc.  So for such content Fire/ and /Rad are not as optional as other sets, so I don't see very many of them at all personally.   

Personally I often look at Rad Em on mids, but always settle on a different option because others just give me more of what I want, and builds with other secondaries continually come out better.

Fire is fine more or less.  I have a fire/kin and fire/Rad but the Rad was stripped and retired to oblivion.

Edited by FUBARczar

On 9/2/2022 at 5:04 AM, FUBARczar said:

Is this for characters started?

How about ones that reach 50?

Ones which reach 50.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."