$name in /bindloadfile

Corgano

I was thinking of creating some bind files for some of my toons and was wondering if there was a way to use the character name of which ever one I am currently playing in the /bindloadfile command. I know I can create a bind for each one assigned to their own key, but I was hoping to create one bind that would call up the directory specific to the character name that was currently loaded.

For example, if I was playing Killer Joe I could bind numpad0 to load the files in the Killer Joe directory. If I switched to Pacifist Joe, I want to press numpad0 again but this time to load the files from the Pacifist Joe directory (these are fake names by the way).

I tried putting $name in the command line but of course that didn't work. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I assume that Killer Joe and Pacifist Joe are two separate characters, and not two different personas/builds of the same character.

I don't know of a way to use $name like you want it to, but here's how I created one key that lets me load the character-specific binds for whichever character I am on. I don't have directories for each character, but I have one directory that contains a character-specific bind file for each of my characters.

Using Killer Joe and Pacifist Joe from your example, and using numpad0 for the bind key, I'd have two bind files in a folder called 'binds', with the files named:

binds/key_killer_joe.txt
binds/key_pacifist_joe.txt

Within each of those files, I'd have a bind that looked like (with <char_name> representing the name of the character as in the examples above):

NUMPAD0 "bind_load_file binds/key_<char_name>.txt"

Finally, you'll need to do a one-time-only chat command to set that keybind going forward. So on each character you'll need to issue the following chat command:

/bind NUMPAD0 binds/key_<char_name>.txt

From then on whenever you update the bind file for that character, all you have to do is press NUMPAD0 to load their character-specific bind file.

If you have character-specific folders then you'll have to tweak the commands to use the character-specific folders. It sounds like you have multiple bind files per character. I assume those are rolling bind files, which might make setup a little more tricky, but certainly doable using the method above. I'd need to know more about the specifics of your bind folder/file setup to give more specific recommendations.

If you just need it for powers, the alternative below is much easier:

Bind powertray locations rather than powernames. and have a consistent set up of your powers on the power tray across all your characters, you don't even need bind files for this for the most part, you can assign those hotkeys directly in game.

For example, high impact PBAoEs are always assigned to powertray 3 location 8 - this could be a blaster/def/corr/sent nuke, or it could be something like a Ground Zero

Another example, build up is always assigned to powertray 2 location 1 - across all AT, makes it consistent

I do that first, then save that bind file so I have my core assignments, then edit the bind file with custom binds for powers that I don't assign to power trays like sprint and a few other prestige powers.

If you need these binds for other things like emotes and battlecries and stuff like that try using a pop menu.

I have my default bind file a key bound to opening up a pop menu for stuff like loading my base macro, clearing trays, loading mastermind specific binds, etc... You can absolutely use this to load your character specific binds as well.

image.png.46822b41eb84c04dbe2852782a987a51.png

Edit - pop menus are neat but they appear to not be able to execute bind loads. Investigating alternatives...

Edit edit - solution found! you need to log out and back in after loading them through the pop menu.

Edited by Nemu

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

1 hour ago, Nemu said:

You can absolutely use this to load your character specific binds as well.

I am curious how you got this to work, as bind_load_file doesn't work has issues when called directly from a popmenu. I have to force it into the chat using 'beginchat' and load it from the chat bar. I'm curious if you have a different workaround.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
clarified statement once I jogged my memory on the subject

Using pop menus. This is what my pop menu .mnu file looks like

//Load Default Settings
//
Menu "Start"
{
    Title "Default Templates"
    Menu "Binds"
    {
        Title "Set Binds"
        Option "Set Default Binds" "bindloadfile d:/binds/default.txt"
        Option "Set MM Binds" "bindloadfile d:/binds/mm.txt"
        Option "Set WS Binds" "bindloadfile d:/binds/wshuman.txt"
        Option "Set PB Binds" "bindloadfile d:/binds/pbhuman.txt"
    }
    Menu "Window"
    {
        Title "Set Window"
        Option "Set Window" "wdwloadfile d:/binds/window.txt"
    }
    Menu "Cleartray"
    {
        Title "Cleartray"
        Option "Cleartray" "Cleartray"
    }
}

Second part, I bound a key to call up this menu, that's mapped in my default bind file:

\ "popmenu start"

So technically I don't need to include the Option "Set Default Binds" "bindloadfile d:/binds/default.txt" option in my pop menu because I need to load that file first before I can call it up with the key that I bound to it. I just never bothered to remove that entry.

Pop menus are neat. give it a try!

Edit... re-read what you are ACTUALLY saying and decided to try the scenario out and..... It looks like you are correct!, this is what I see in the chat window when I execute the menu for loading binds:
image.png.8460a7b99d5bbb52e63e24659bf95495.png

But none of my keybinds in those files are executing. let me investigate! Time for detective panda!

Solution found! see below!

Edited by Nemu

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

Followup!

Loading binds from pop menu DOES WORK!

However after loading them from the pop menu, you need to log your character out then back in to see the updated bindings. Why it works this way and not real time is a mystery beyond the supa detective prowess of detective panda.... sadly.

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

39 minutes ago, Nemu said:

Using pop menus.

Yes, I understood that, as I have extensive experience creating popmenus of all kinds. I was wondering specifically if you used the 'bind_load_file' command in your popmenu, and if you had any issues with it.

The reason I ask is that the 'bind_load_file' command is known to have issues when called directly from a popmenu, as you have done (and as I tried to do in the past). The issue specifically is that while the system will report the bind file has loaded, in actuality the user either needs to 1) change zones or 2) restart the game client before the bind changes will take effect. There is some more info in this bug report thread.

So, just be aware that if loading bind files via popmenu, you'll either need to zone or restart the game client before the new binds will start working.

typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Nemu said:

Loading binds from pop menu DOES WORK!

Yes, I misspoke when I said it doesn't work, as it had been a little over a year since I dealt with the issue and my memory was a little hazy. My post immediately above has more clarification.

grammar

Well, a minor inconvenience, I didn't try zoning but that also makes sense.

I'd say it's still a very clean way to address what the OP needs for loading bind files for multiple characters from one place. Just gotta zone or log afterwards 😀

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

4 minutes ago, Nemu said:

Well, a minor inconvenience

In this case, certainly, and not anything that would seriously limit the viability of the solution you presented. In my case (the one I dealt with a year or so ago), it was a deal-breaking inconvenience, for which I had to find a alternate solution (which, while not perfect, works quite well).

At any rate, hopefully the OP has some usable options from among the solutions we presented. Apologies to the OP for getting slightly off-topic on the popmenu technicalities!

Wow. I honestly didn't expect an actual working answer so soon. I was going to use sub folders for each toon simply for organization. I was also drawing from the way that the mastermind bind files were working, a sub folder for each type of mastermind as it binds using powexec_name for the different levels of summons. I realize now that a single text file is all that would be needed for each toon so keeping them in the default directory would be fine.

I did like the popup menu idea, I'll admit I never would have thought of that, but not all of my toons are setup the same way.

Thanks to you both for your excellently helpful suggestions.

• Like 1