Seismic/Devices Blaster build and identity | Seeking advice

Chezzuts

I'm pretty new to endgame builds. I made a Seismic/Devices Blaster because it seemed like a fun idea to have a science-origin hero who uses devices...and one of which gives seismic/earth control. Getting to endgame and trying to figure out the identity of the build. I imagine knockback + damage + defense debuffs would be the primary focuses. But, I'm not familiar enough with enhancement sets to know what would be ideal sets to look for. Bit overwhelming looking at all the options, so I was hoping someone could give me some quick assistance with direction.

I just rolled a Seismic/Devices myself. haven't played him yet, though. But I have played my share of blasters (I have over 30, about half of them have reached 50), and /Devices is one of my top choices for blasters. While I think that builds are a very intimate and personal thing that is very specific to the toon/concept, I will say that as a blaster, I tend to run after set bonuses to shore up what def/res I lack. with that, I always slot the entire Gaussian set in Targeting drone as it has some really nice bonuses, especially the 6-piece one. The same goes for Aegis, but I usually save that until I get an epic/patron that can take it... if I have slots to spare... I do prioritise the res procs and globals and 2-piece unbreakable guard (again for the set bonus) somewhere.

I haven't toyed with seismic yet. But my go-to slotting for primaries usually include 4-piece Thunderstrike for an accuracy boost (6 if you're going for ranged def as a hover blaster), 4-piece Sting of the Manticore OR full set of Executioner's Contract in the snipe, 2-4 pieces of Devastation if you want +damage on top of your + regen (plus I use the chance to hold proc a lot--I like to put this on Taser to turn the stun into a hold), 2-piece Lockdown with the +3 mag hold for tougher targets and damage bonus. KB, I tend to slot with 3-4 Sudden acceleration if I can spare the slots--it gives max end and damage bonus respectively and gives you a chance to address the KB (although I don't because I like KB. If the power with KB is a major damage dealer, then I might spring for Overwhelming Force + the Force Feedback proc.

Again, slotting is a personal thing and I will never assume that what works for me and my style of play will work for anyone else. I suggest you take a moment to figure out what your toon needs in terms of set bonuses, then have a look at the different sets in AH. Just have an open mind that some uncommon sets are just as good or even better than rare or purple sets in terms direct benefit and set bonuses. Just because an IO is cheap or expensive doesn't mean it's bad or better. Also, pay attention the the IOs level range as some of them have level caps. This may affect your higher level game play. And finally, some powers work best with just a regular SO (i.e. I only slot a single boosted Recharge on Gun Drone).

Yes, the entire slotting thing is a bit daunting especially with all the choices you have. But that is what also makes it fun. I currently have 3 DP/Ninja blappers and all three of them are built differently depending on the toon's personality. 😃 

1 hour ago, Six-Six said:

I just rolled a Seismic/Devices myself. haven't played him yet, though. But I have played my share of blasters (I have over 30, about half of them have reached 50), and /Devices is one of my top choices for blasters. While I think that builds are a very intimate and personal thing that is very specific to the toon/concept, I will say that as a blaster, I tend to run after set bonuses to shore up what def/res I lack. with that, I always slot the entire Gaussian set in Targeting drone as it has some really nice bonuses, especially the 6-piece one. The same goes for Aegis, but I usually save that until I get an epic/patron that can take it... if I have slots to spare... I do prioritise the res procs and globals and 2-piece unbreakable guard (again for the set bonus) somewhere.

I haven't toyed with seismic yet. But my go-to slotting for primaries usually include 4-piece Thunderstrike for an accuracy boost (6 if you're going for ranged def as a hover blaster), 4-piece Sting of the Manticore OR full set of Executioner's Contract in the snipe, 2-4 pieces of Devastation if you want +damage on top of your + regen (plus I use the chance to hold proc a lot--I like to put this on Taser to turn the stun into a hold), 2-piece Lockdown with the +3 mag hold for tougher targets and damage bonus. KB, I tend to slot with 3-4 Sudden acceleration if I can spare the slots--it gives max end and damage bonus respectively and gives you a chance to address the KB (although I don't because I like KB. If the power with KB is a major damage dealer, then I might spring for Overwhelming Force + the Force Feedback proc.

Again, slotting is a personal thing and I will never assume that what works for me and my style of play will work for anyone else. I suggest you take a moment to figure out what your toon needs in terms of set bonuses, then have a look at the different sets in AH. Just have an open mind that some uncommon sets are just as good or even better than rare or purple sets in terms direct benefit and set bonuses. Just because an IO is cheap or expensive doesn't mean it's bad or better. Also, pay attention the the IOs level range as some of them have level caps. This may affect your higher level game play. And finally, some powers work best with just a regular SO (i.e. I only slot a single boosted Recharge on Gun Drone).

Yes, the entire slotting thing is a bit daunting especially with all the choices you have. But that is what also makes it fun. I currently have 3 DP/Ninja blappers and all three of them are built differently depending on the toon's personality. 😃 

Thank you for the insight! I'll keep all of this in mind and will continue working on the build tomorrow. I think it'll come down to a lot of guess work/seeing what fits well in Mids since I haven't really found others running this exactly pairing. Will be a lot of work, but makes it feel more like my own!

On 8/14/2022 at 4:23 AM, Six-Six said:

This is the build I ended up with (attached)

I'm not familiar enough to know comparisons to typical optimized blaster builds, but it seems like this has a lot of damage, accuracy, to hit, defense, defense debuff (aoe for mobs and single target for AVs), and knockup CC. Great End too (maybe too much?). 

I know a lot of people running devices love running trip mine, but that doesn't seem to work in concept with the positioning and rotations I'd be doing with Seismic powers and knockups. Went with turret instead because it also gives pet resist buff option via Expedient Reinforcement. Didn't find any other good resist options.

Only thing I'm not sure of: Caltrops slotting. Unsure if Air Burst will knock up people in caltrops.

Blaster - Seismic Blast - Devices.mxd

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm afraid I don't use MIDs so I am unable to view your build. Not a build expert by any stretch anyway. As long as it works for you, then the build and choice of powers is cool. 😃

In my experience, Caltrops doesn't proc very well. I usually just stick an Annihilation -res or Pacing of the Turtle -recharge or Ice Mistral's +cold dmg and leave it at that. If I have slots to spare, I pick a set bonus that I need from the 3 I've mentioned. And no, Airburst won't cause knock up. 

• Thumbs Up 1