How valid is a non Swap Ammo DP?

BastionWalls

I've created a couple of Dual Pistols characters in the past and just automatically picked up Swap Ammo @ 6 as soon as it was available. It's nice to have, but I usually just set it to incendiary and forget about it except for rare occasions where I will test Cryo or Chemical for a while before swapping back. However, sticking to regular ammo gives you a lot of soft CC (KB/KD) and -Def and - Res in Empty Clips/Executioner's Shot/Piercing Rounds. So would a DP build without Swap Ammo be more like a Dual Blades that just ignores the combo system or would it be like a Petless MM? I know both can be done, but how bad is it to just ignore Swap Ammo?

I've had toons that utilise Cryo rounds and Chem rounds for concept and not for utility. And i have toons that also just set it to Incendiary for the extra damage (and the ever-so-slightly better animation effect of tracer rounds) because I had no better powers to pick. I think small damage boost it gives shouldn't be missed too much, especially if you can't afford the power pick. Keep in mind that any DoT on a blaster doesn't matter if your enemies are dead in 2 seconds. I personally like KB and one or two of my alts prefer the standard rounds.

Personally I have DP blasters paired with /Dark, /Temporal, /Energy and /Devices.... And would like one with /Ninja.... but I digress... Anyhow, in my experience I wouldn't skip it.  I just set it to fire and then forget. 

Also my blaster builds are always looking for slots, not powers. 

Personally I think Ammos in swap ammo should be reworked.  I would make more of the damage type-damage at the very least.  Something more should be done to make the other rounds legit options.

Edited by FUBARczar
Added last paragraph

Yeah I would keep it because pure S/L is totally resisted.  Plus there are some enemy types that are more vulnerable to cold or fire or toxic.  I mean toxic, who resists that unless they eat my cooking on the regular 🙂

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 8/15/2022 at 6:34 PM, High_Beam said:

Yeah I would keep it because pure S/L is totally resisted.  Plus there are some enemy types that are more vulnerable to cold or fire or toxic.  I mean toxic, who resists that unless they eat my cooking on the regular

you should probably take a look at this guide by Galaxy Brain toxic is one of the most resisted damage types ingame

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, PainX said:

you should probably take a look at this guide by Galaxy Brain toxic is one of the most resisted damage types ingame

That was really good information and I stand corrected with my attempt at a joke.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Toxic might be heavily resisted on general, bit do you know who doesn't resist it?  Malta.  Malta has high S/L resistance across the board while the Gunslingers and Titans resist everything else, but their Toxic resistances are a flat 0%.  It'a nice to have some damage against those damn Titans when they have 50% Lethal resist and 25% Fire and Cold as well.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

DP is good due to the ability for it to fire procs in it regardless of if they match the ammo type that has a chance to fire the proc I.E FF will activate if you're in fire. Fire and chemical for blaster are essentially another proc for blasters. 

You can run in something like fire all the time. You lose random KB, that's it.

You can skip swap ammo, that puts it in AR damage range though.