Straw Poll - What do you use AE for?

Krimson

Straw Poll - How many of you use AE for...  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use AE for...

• Dev's Choice
    • Farming
    • Player created Story Arcs

Since we had a poll to see how many play harder content, here's one to see how many use AE for things OTHER than farming, and whether AE is worth keeping at all. 

Edited by Krimson
  • Thumbs Down 1

Smashing/Lethal Farmer and a Giant Monster Hunter on Excelsior

Monster Hunters: Blue Idoru (Main, Elec/Kin Corruptor), Kurodoru (Dark/Dark Brute), Canadian Content (Rad/Atom Blaster)

Try Arc IDs: 44869 "The Orb" - Smashing/Lethal Farm on the Troll Cave map with 99 mobs, all patrols.  45166 "Hail The Orb" - Smashing/Lethal Farm on the Dreck Freakshow map with 151 mobs, 61 Elite Bosses

Farmers: Freak Out (Rad/Fire Brute, Fire Farmer), Dara Kill (Dark/Spines Tanker, S/L Farmer), Freak Fire (Fire/Rad Tanker, Farm Everything), Blue Idoru (Main, Elec/Kin Corr, Farm Anything), Spidoru (Crabbermind, Farm Anything), various other fighters and support.

How about adding in non-farm content creation option?  I like to make arcs, but they haven't made the Dev's Choice list (yet!).  So like Bill Z mentioned... non-Dev Choice and content creation is what I use AE for.  

• Like 2

I don't use AE for anything at the moment, and haven't for a long time. I farmed a handful of times, but it's not really my cup of tea. I fully intend to run some dev's choice content at some point, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

53 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

How about adding in non-farm content creation option?  I like to make arcs, but they haven't made the Dev's Choice list (yet!).  So like Bill Z mentioned... non-Dev Choice and content creation is what I use AE for.  

Done!

• Thanks 2

Monster Hunters: Blue Idoru (Main, Elec/Kin Corruptor), Kurodoru (Dark/Dark Brute), Canadian Content (Rad/Atom Blaster)

Try Arc IDs: 44869 "The Orb" - Smashing/Lethal Farm on the Troll Cave map with 99 mobs, all patrols.  45166 "Hail The Orb" - Smashing/Lethal Farm on the Dreck Freakshow map with 151 mobs, 61 Elite Bosses

Farmers: Freak Out (Rad/Fire Brute, Fire Farmer), Dara Kill (Dark/Spines Tanker, S/L Farmer), Freak Fire (Fire/Rad Tanker, Farm Everything), Blue Idoru (Main, Elec/Kin Corr, Farm Anything), Spidoru (Crabbermind, Farm Anything), various other fighters and support.

I use it to play Dev Choices/non dev choice SFMAs and to write SFMAs.  It's lots of fun.  But I always say SFMAs are like movies or TV series, while things like farms are more like a song.  

• Thumbs Up 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) X

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance..  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

In my opinion, one should design the survey so that the responses are mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive. For example: Regularly, what do you use AE for?

1. Farming

2. Non-farming

(Select one)

Also, I will be bummed if the devs remove AE. Please devs keep it there. 

edit

I didn't read the question carefully, sorry. 

Solely based on the number of hours spent inside the game: farming.

If I also count the number of hours spent outside the game: writing & testing Player created AE (mine).

Edited by huang3721
The answer.
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

I use/used it to play player created content and Devs choice back on live.  On HC I have used it rarely, three maybe four player arcs (mixed results wrt fun) and a devs choice (the Paragon Society one, I mean smashing Nazis, how can that be wrong) and was a sitter in a fire farm once (not my cup of tea) hosted by a SG mate but yeah, AE is not really something on my play radar because I enjoy the official content so much.  I will probably jump in with my more seasons characters who have run the content just to do something fresh as opposed to iTrials, but at the moment there are too many alts that need to rescue the Clockwork Captive or stop the Envoy of Shadows.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Kitty Conflag

Babes of War - Excelsior (Freedom) - Di Di Guns (Tribute), Krystala, Tideway, Runeslinger, Operative Violet

Super Girl Band - Excelsior - Hard Melody (Lead Vocals), Power Riff (Rhythm), Heavy Beat (Bass), Fiery Tempo (Keyboard), Hyper Jam (Drums)

Many other alts and of course the OG, High Beam - Prom Queen

should there be a distinction between playing player-created content vs making player-created content? don't know about anyone else but i for one write more AE content than i actually play...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm a strictly active only, Zen-type farmer...

And I also love playing through the story arcs that the members of my family SG make for each other. (Clifford's Donut Adventure and its sequel, One Near You.... The Forks of Vengeance... Mister Skinnylegs... Their latest is a parody of another game, Deep Rock Galactic... FCM and the nephews have had a lot of fun with AE. 😆)

I don't fit into one neat little mutually-exclusive farm/not-farm box. So I picked both options.

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I’ve tried my hand at story arc creation and while I believe they weren’t nearly as good as they could have been, I’m undeterred in my pursuit to make more! Once time allows that is.

But I do also use it to farm new alts 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm really just kinda tired of being negative, so instead, I'll try being a little more like the opposite. Heard that leads to more of a fun time.

Ok, this is a bit odd.  I know as of writing there's only 23 votes here, but considering the choices it looks like  a good chunk of people actually use the AE, and please farmers don't all jump on me, "as intended originally" i.e. for playing SFMA story arcs.  Of which the Dev's Choice is really a subset I suppose.  I say odd because the other recent threads concerning the AE were dominated by pro/con farm results, going for pages of "discussion".

I'm not sure what any of that means in the long term.  Me? I play SFMAs and Dev Choices.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great to be back in CoX!

1 hour ago, TerroirNoir said:

Ok, this is a bit odd.  I know as of writing there's only 23 votes here, but considering the choices it looks like  a good chunk of people actually use the AE, and please farmers don't all jump on me, "as intended originally" i.e. for playing SFMA story arcs.  Of which the Dev's Choice is really a subset I suppose.  I say odd because the other recent threads concerning the AE were dominated by pro/con farm results, going for pages of "discussion".

I'm not sure what any of that means in the long term.  Me? I play SFMAs and Dev Choices.

I am a farmer, but actual data interests me. I'm definitely going to tweak my farms once Page 4 drops. I might try my other idea of a hybrid Story Arc/Farm, which is basically a repeatable with some dialogue added.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, TerroirNoir said:

I'd imagine this being posted in the AE forums would filter the results for those of us who would actually set foot in the AE forums.  Also, that last choice "Player created Story Arcs" is broadly defined enough to take in people who write for the AE and people who play the AE, which might be a more diverse population split between both groups.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi, I'm Clave Dark 5!  You may remember me from such characters as King Pumpkin Spice, Stupid Like A Fox, Capt Sam's Space Zoo, The Midnight Bridge, Trash Ghost, and Maid Of Metal, as well as a few really stupid AE arcs!

17 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I'd imagine this being posted in the AE forums would filter the results for those of us who would actually set foot in the AE forums.  Also, that last choice "Player created Story Arcs" is broadly defined enough to take in people who write for the AE and people who play the AE, which might be a more diverse population split between both groups.

True I suppose.  I had mentally lumped in active (or AFK or whatever) farming with creating farms.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great to be back in CoX!

When the numbers were datamined back in July, it was revealed that over 90% of all influence earned in-game was from farming.

This is why forum polls aren't especially useful. They rarely reflect in-game behaviour.

• Like 1

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

1 hour ago, America's Angel said:

When the numbers were datamined back in July, it was revealed that over 90% of all influence earned in-game was from farming.

This is why forum polls aren't especially useful. They rarely reflect in-game behaviour.

Even if numbers are wildly inaccurate, you can still get useful data. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, America's Angel said:

Can you provide a link to this data?

Also, why does "America's Angel" use British spelling?  :classic_biggrin:

Men get arrested, Skulls get put down!

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I voted for all four, as I have done all four and may do one or more of them again.  In terms of frequency and time spent it's:

1) Farming
2) Dev's Choice
3) 801
4) Story Arcs (unless we included ones created by me, then this would bump 801)

I primarily use AE for farming, but I also created a couple missions to pack a night of PI radios into one or two maps, so I can run my alts on Indom even when it's a ghost town.

I'm not betting on wild horses | Like they do in Assateague or Pimlico
I demand to shuck my clam the old-fashioned way | Under a strawberry moon, bare-handed, wearing no clothes

18 hours ago, Krimson said:

Even if numbers are wildly inaccurate, you can still get useful data. 

No, I can't.

It's not because the numbers are wildly inaccurate; your sample size is too small. Homecoming active player counts are around 1000, so 45 points of data are not enough. Since each member can select more than one option, the participating members in this poll will be much less than 45.

kCOd59K.png

Until we can ensure the sample is adequate, it is useless. We should not draw any conclusion based on it.

On 8/22/2022 at 1:10 PM, huang3721 said:

No, I can't.

It's not because the numbers are wildly inaccurate; your sample size is too small. Homecoming active player counts are around 1000, so 45 points of data are not enough. Since each member can select more than one option, the participating members in this poll will be much less than 45.

kCOd59K.png

Until we can ensure the sample is adequate, it is useless. We should not draw any conclusion based on it.

Then we just need more lovely volunteers to vote on this poll!!

Roll up! 

Edited by TerroirNoir
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great to be back in CoX!

all of the above 🙂

Play my AE Adventures:

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice!**        "Desperate Measures in the Shadow Shard" #43103   

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870              "Playa Oeste: Going to California" #48501

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

On 8/18/2022 at 8:39 PM, huang3721 said:

In my opinion, one should design the survey so that the responses are mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive. For example: Regularly, what do you use AE for?

1. Farming

2. Non-farming

(Select one)

... issue being if someone (say) farms part of the time, though regularly, for either rewards or to PL an alt up, and also has an active SG or two (or friends, or whatever) that they usually run story missions with. They'd be doing both. So, mutually exclusive would *also* be giving incorrect answers.

Though, as pointed out, there's going to be some bias in any case because of where this is posted (MA section of the forum, sort of like posting "How much do you PVP?" in the PVP sections,) and the small number who respond. *shrug*

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.