ITF Hard Mode recommendations

meyerwolf406

I recently ToTed my SR/DM tank to level 50, and was looking to dump a large chunk of change to make them as tough as possible, to think about some hard mode content. I've never done any of the hard mode stuff. There has been a lot of talk about SR/DM tankers here, but no full build (other than an image) that I can find. Anyone have one they use that they can post?

And, would it be possible to get a killer build while having Combat Teleport and Super Jump as a movement power? I see a lot of Sorcery picks. I have really come to love CT on melee characters with a @target macro. So handy.

Thanks!

P.S. I can open files in MIDS, but it takes extra steps. I'll take a MIDS file, to be sure, but if you have a text output as well, that would be great.

2 hours ago, Voidmoji said:

I recently ToTed my SR/DM tank to level 50, and was looking to dump a large chunk of change to make them as tough as possible, to think about some hard mode content. I've never done any of the hard mode stuff. There has been a lot of talk about SR/DM tankers here, but no full build (other than an image) that I can find. Anyone have one they use that they can post?

And, would it be possible to get a killer build while having Combat Teleport and Super Jump as a movement power? I see a lot of Sorcery picks. I have really come to love CT on melee characters with a @target macro. So handy.

Thanks!

P.S. I can open files in MIDS, but it takes extra steps. I'll take a MIDS file, to be sure, but if you have a text output as well, that would be great.

Here is a SR/DM tank built for durability. 

If you want combat teleport and super jump I would say drop leadership and speed pools from this build.

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Ultra Instinct V2: Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Super Reflexes
Secondary Power Set: Dark Melee
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Focused Fighting -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(3), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(3)
Level 1: Shadow Punch -- Mk'Bit-Dam%(A), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(36), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(36), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 2: Agile -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(7), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(7)
Level 4: Focused Senses -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(A), ShlWal-Def(13), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(13), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(15)
Level 6: Shadow Maul -- SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(9), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(37), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39)
Level 8: Practiced Brawler -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 10: Dodge -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(11), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(17)
Level 12: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 14: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(21), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(21), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(23), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(25)
Level 16: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(17), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(27), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(27)
Level 18: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(19), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(31)
Level 20: Touch of Fear -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(23), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(29), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 22: Siphon Life -- SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(A), ThfofEss-+End%(33), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(40), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), TchoftheN-Heal(42)
Level 24: Evasion -- ShlWal-Def(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(29), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(31), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 26: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(43), Ksm-ToHit+(46)
Level 28: Spirit Ward -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 32: Rune of Protection -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(34), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(34), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(43), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 35: Soul Drain -- Obl-%Dam(A), Obl-Dmg(40), Obl-Acc/Rchg(40), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(46), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(49), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(49)
Level 38: Dark Consumption -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(48)
Level 41: Tactics -- DS:DSyncEndToHitDef(A), DS:DSyncEndToHitDef(46)
Level 44: Lucky -- ShlWal-Def/Rchg(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(45), ShlWal-Def(45), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(45)
Level 47: Gloom -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(47), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(47), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(48), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(50)
Level 49: Darkest Night -- DS:DSyncEndDefDebuffToHitDebuff(A), DS:DSyncEndDefDebuffToHitDebuff(50)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11), Mrc-Rcvry+(19)
Level 1: Stamina -- PwrTrns-+Heal(A), PrfShf-End%(25)
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1399;700;1400;HEX;|
|78DA65945B4F135110C7CF76B7D49622BD002DD0425B29E5220BE5C57B62146BA83|
|42156796D36E5B4549AB6D92D09BE7B7D3426FAE2F5CDEBD731064CFC0428898AC8|
|C5757A664E68E226EDAF67CECCCE7F66CE696E7DCE5B2A652E32C57BB96A5856E18|
|6515BE5A63367942B45068FFF66B5691AB1F99AD5ACD48ACDD8D2AC0BAC51742BCC|
|F112AF595CCFAF3560759D97AA7C9D5B21DACDF12AE7FA9C61AEE24FD6B558AF57F|
|54CA5BC022F2B7BC52A5F378BDCBCDD2D160BDC58E6A6B552697870B3C1F972E84A|
|A352D42F996B4D5EC8D7D7AA859C613521240C4262F039D5075F4A4B2CB31DAC177|
|EA5DDCCD143F42177DC4C3EB693AD32613C512296892BC8910AF116F20C64506406|
|85327450860ECA701A9C547252D5795518BD59620679FC2A7217E438A51CE7434D1|
|88FDD418EDC458EDE23DE273E409E854C2ECAC45C93A8F11C18DD52A39B347A48A3|
|8F342A30BC4E4ACB3A6D78980AA62E8AD3BAFEA0BC9E9FC45FC8BE5D6438049E513|
|7D320A85BD6DA4DC97C946C80920D04908F93708CA432FF178730063690439BC87D|
|6848503624F81A0BED7B868C3C47C65E105F22E3AF907B10DC4B199CBD9BA835165|
|085D6D4275C8F7F266E1083C8F3D0B890AC2544F38AD0BC86685E699AA71F0AEF97|
|B5F453E1133F7073EA90898C8FA0E041399FC12DDC4C4064948C4A948636447C021|
|1C354BD363C8B11711A429C8630F19B2886A1B103A83AA18873693B130C3753FBD8|
|CFD48183342167FE126DE421042715716D6C254932A68941D03A26B58EC5E0A06A2|
|A9B6AD1A5B20BD0AF49D9AF49D11F173B798D9825669045802E27A3BFD184517F4B|
|7C879C7E4FFC804C7F447EF532362365CC8C62FA34715C3BBAF576443BBADDAD359|
|CEB85B67DB8190EF1C6454DDAC0A808BF2D4FBB9F307DFBDFF4DDD3FE1F13C7E23C|
|4B8A60200B4CB9D8769B93C276B088F0534CBD076D4B4BBDFF00F6DAD5DA|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

9 minutes ago, Unclemarty said:

Here is a SR/DM tank built for durability. 

If you want combat teleport and super jump I would say drop leadership and speed pools from this build.

Thanks!

How vital is Rune of Protection in this build in general, and for hard modes specifically? While it is a juicy bit of resistance, it feels like three powers and good a number of slots that might be used elsewhere, when compared to its up time.

Edited by Voidmoji

Rune is there for another layer of protection in the form of resistance. SR has really good passive defenses and defense debuff resistance (DDR) in the form of toggles.

By rotating between barrier, hybrid melee and rune you can also achieve extremely high resistance values with no gaps. This "active" layer of protection combined with SR defence and DDR results in a very durable build. I made that build to test hard mode durability in a solo environment. 

Rune is probably less important in a team environment because people bring buffs to augment your defense. Especially if you are teaming with someone that can bring +res or heals to the table to top you up if you end up taking a big hit. One weakness of SR is taking large chunks of damage at a time but resistance and heals can help shore up this vulnerability.

Overall, I would say if you are doing something special/ extra challenging like trying to do 4* with a 4 man team or you just want to be really safe, take rune. If you don't take it that's ok too! Plenty of hardmode builds with SR have not taken rune and been just fine, its not a requirement. 

As for the concern about powers and slots - that just comes down to playstyle. I personally like mystic flight as a travel option. spirit ward can mule preventative medicine proc and arcane bolt isn't a terrible way to pull either. Though If you like other travel powers better or utility in other powers, I can see how these feel "wasted". 

As with any build its always a gradient:

utility / damage <-------------> survivability

Where you want to build the character within this gradient is up to you!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/28/2022 at 8:11 PM, Unclemarty said:

Overall, I would say if you are doing something special/ extra challenging like trying to do 4* with a 4 man team or you just want to be really safe, take rune. If you don't take it that's ok too! Plenty of hardmode builds with SR have not taken rune and been just fine, its not a requirement. 

Thanks for all your efforts!

I think I am going to take a step back on this idea for now, at least as a hard mode tank.

I am not new to tanks or tank builds, having a couple nicely IO'd out tanks as it is, and have used them in an array of content. I figured some hardmodes were the next step. But, after leveling the character and enjoying it in its present incarnation, in terms of powers and basic play style, I am not sure I am ready to make the sacrifices one needs for optimal hardmode content. At least with these powers. Besides, I've never done any kind of hard mode, so no reason to hurry on a build.

For now, I am going to take this build and flex it into a "lesser tank" for now, and possibly either respec or do a second build if I feel the need to take that step. Either way, I do appreciate the build, as I am going to get use out of it one way or another!

3 hours ago, Voidmoji said:

Thanks for all your efforts!

I think I am going to take a step back on this idea for now, at least as a hard mode tank.

I am not new to tanks or tank builds, having a couple nicely IO'd out tanks as it is, and have used them in an array of content. I figured some hardmodes were the next step. But, after leveling the character and enjoying it in its present incarnation, in terms of powers and basic play style, I am not sure I am ready to make the sacrifices one needs for optimal hardmode content. At least with these powers. Besides, I've never done any kind of hard mode, so no reason to hurry on a build.

For now, I am going to take this build and flex it into a "lesser tank" for now, and possibly either respec or do a second build if I feel the need to take that step. Either way, I do appreciate the build, as I am going to get use out of it one way or another!

Unfortunately hard modes are basically there to justify teaming.

Trying to solo-tank stuff like that isn't going to work.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

On 10/28/2022 at 10:11 PM, Unclemarty said:

As with any build its always a gradient:

utility / damage <-------------> survivability

Where you want to build the character within this gradient is up to you!

Agreed!  

There is also the axiom of Durable/Damaging/Cheap...pick two 😆 

Where you want to build the character is up to your wallet!

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

4 hours ago, PLVRIZR said:

Agreed!  

There is also the axiom of Durable/Damaging/Cheap...pick two 😆 

Where you want to build the character is up to your wallet!

I work in the print industry, basically, and so I know the Iron Triangle well! I am fortunate enough that I don't need to blink until I start crossing the billion influence line, for the right character.

1 hour ago, Voidmoji said:

I work in the print industry, basically, and so I know the Iron Triangle well! I am fortunate enough that I don't need to blink until I start crossing the billion influence line, for the right character.

My reference is from drag racing:  Reliable/Fast/Cheap (pick two)

Same for me.  I have little pity for anyone who isn't, because either dual box farming and/or marketeering makes building influence "wealth" child's play, with minimal time commitment.  Almost every toon in my sig is a 500M - 1B max build...and I'm truly only a casual player (but I did read @Yomo Kimyata and @Sovera's guides to influence building).

Edited by PLVRIZR
reworded

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

• 1 month later
2 hours ago, Cakes said:

The mo durable version is legendary no doubt (already build it out as a saves preset infact =p) I was wondering about the zero defense version that @Tsuko came up with, but instead of rad/ss it was invuln/ss

But invulnerability, unlike rad, is a defense/resistance hybrid set.  I don't think it makes sense to ignore defense on invul, unlike at least potentially rad.

If you wanted another zero-defense build, how about electric?

Edited by aethereal

39 minutes ago, aethereal said:

But invulnerability, unlike rad, is a defense/resistance hybrid set.  I don't think it makes sense to ignore defense on invul, unlike at least potentially rad.

oohh good call- it would make sense to double down on a resistance based set. Ill roll up the rad/ss version, give it a spin then

2 hours ago, aethereal said:

Especially when the Defense is sitting on top of numbers that're nominally identical to the Rad.

I tend to look at maxed out, Resist-centric builds as "Blood from a Stone" type builds.

I've done it with Elec.
I've done it with Fire.
I've done it with Rad.

2 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Especially when the Defense is sitting on top of numbers that're nominally identical to the Rad.

I tend to look at maxed out, Resist-centric builds as "Blood from a Stone" type builds.

I've done it with Elec.
I've done it with Fire.
I've done it with Rad.

What is your favorite pure resist set?

1 hour ago, StriderIV said:

What is your favorite pure resist set?

I love Fire.  My Fire/Fire Tank is an engine of destruction..
But my Elec/Elec is just a total BEAST.

And I still love my Claws/Electric Brute.
No longer an optimal farmer.
But still gets MASSIVE butt whipped.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

I've done it with Elec.
I've done it with Fire.
I've done it with Rad.

I would add Dark to this list.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

8 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

I love Fire.  My Fire/Fire Tank is an engine of destruction..
But my Elec/Elec is just a total BEAST.

And I still love my Claws/Electric Brute.
No longer an optimal farmer.
But still gets MASSIVE butt whipped.

I was thinking Elec Armor might be good for the new HM content, with it's heal, end protection and being able to pump up resists with outside defense buffs coming in.

• 2 months later
On 11/5/2022 at 9:38 PM, brasilgringo said:

i too would love to see it. i can guess most from the screenshot but it would be great to see.

I tried to do the same but even accounting for all of the substantive slotting in the screenshot and some possible accolades/incarnates I can't seem to get the defenses and resists exactly the same. I'm not sure what I"m missing - maybe you can take a look:

4starsolotest.mxd

3 hours ago, thunder_crane said:

I tried to do the same but even accounting for all of the substantive slotting in the screenshot and some possible accolades/incarnates I can't seem to get the defenses and resists exactly the same. I'm not sure what I"m missing - maybe you can take a look:

4starsolotest.mxd 5.09 kB · 1 download

All I can see is that if you +5 the End mod IOs (2 non proc ones) you'll match the End recovery in the screen shot.  Maybe he had an outside buff like Mystic Fortune or the self-mutating one on giving him +2 def and the extra cold def?

What makes me sad about the build is you lose out on Proc'd RT and you lose out on cross punch spam like you said.  I guess that's the trade for survivability.

Edited by brasilgringo