Page 4 experiences so far...

KaizenSoze

1 hour ago, Number Six said:

I kid you not I've seriously entertained the possibility of changing the in-game volume slider so that it goes from 1-10 instead of 1-100.

Or make the current 20 the new 100 at the very most.

Is there anyone at all who has ever set it above 15?

25 sometimes, but that's if the system is set more quiet.   Right now, I have sound off because my laptop isn't playing well with sounds & wine. 

Somewhere, there's a magical setting where I'd be able to hear glowies but other powers wouldn't deafen me.

Maybe we could have a separate slider just for glowies.  Or "ambient sounds" versus "power sounds."

Edited by Zhym
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Crysis said:

BTW I don't know what missions @America's Angel is referencing in AE, but neither of those show up for me in AE search box.  However, all my old AFK fire farms work just fine.

Those maps are on Brainstorm. (The beta server.) Haven't updated my live maps yet.

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

15 minutes ago, Zhym said:

Somewhere, there's a magical setting where I'd be able to hear glowies but other powers wouldn't deafen me.

Maybe we could have a separate slider just for glowies.  Or "ambient sounds" versus "power sounds."

Agreed.  I occasionally raise the volume slider to 60 just to be able to hear the glowies, while everything else is deafening.  I don't know why the sound of glowies was lowered to almost non-existent a couple of years ago, but it's quite annoying.

• Thumbs Up 2

I kid you not I've seriously entertained the possibility of changing the in-game volume slider so that it goes from 1-10 instead of 1-100.

I set the volume of every game I play at 50%. Sometimes I tweak it a bit from there.

I, and every one of my friends that I've ever played CoH with, sets the CoH volume at 2%. I've never understood why the CoH volume was set so high, and I've never encountered another video game that's like that. And I've been playing video games since we got a home Pong console in the 70s.

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I normally keep it at 3, except, as above, when glowie hunting.  An update a couple of years lowered the sound of glowies to the point where I can now barely hear them at all, even right next to one.  So I raise the volume to 60.  Everything else is deafening, but I can finally hear the glowies just enough to find them.

Increase the sound of glowies exponentially back to where it was in 2019 and on live, and I would definitely see no issue lowering the max volume to 20.

• City Council

The weird thing is that after you reported that a while back, I triple checked the sound files, the fx files, everything for glowies and they are all *identical* to the original files from live.

So either it changed sometime before shutdown or something else is going on. Are you sure you didn't have a sound mod installed at some point or anything like that?

3 hours ago, Krimson said:

However, I was also telling people that the Lost Boss, Prophet, was not actually missing, but was in Pocket D running a fire farm, trying to fill out his Incarnates because he keeps getting beaten down by noobs.

If ever there were a story that needed an AE mission, this is one!

2 hours ago, Number Six said:

I haven’t played with any of the game sound(s) turned on at all since 2006 😁

1 hour ago, The Caretaker said:

When I implement the chase feature in the future, itll be for assassin whambushes of 1 or 2 very ill tempered LTs, or the like.

Totally unrelated, but pre-Shutdown, I had a Dark/Energy Tanker in Kings Row who got a few Skulls after him in an ambush.  Turned into a Benny Hill sequence with me running him around between all my contacts quickly grabbing up more Inspirations as he whittled down the Skull mob.

I know this seems like a minor thing given everything else in this release.... but I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR DECADES FOR ONE OF THESE GAMES TO LET ME STRAP MY WEAPONS ON MY BACK AND DRAW THEM WHEN I FIGHT, AND FINALLY SOMEONE DID IT!!!!

You guys are the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

The weird thing is that after you reported that a while back, I triple checked the sound files, the fx files, everything for glowies and they are all *identical* to the original files from live.

So either it changed sometime before shutdown or something else is going on. Are you sure you didn't have a sound mod installed at some point or anything like that?

Did losing the "directional sound" effect we used to have alter it somehow? That happened back in the Live days, but as long as some of our memories of the game are....

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I dabbled yesterday. Not a lot for me. I made a new Symph/Sonic Controller and am eager to get a build made as well. I am also quite interested in running the new arc as well - a much needed add.

I'll definitely get around to checking out the other stuff (I think) but there isn't a lot that makes me want to dive back in. I think the Devs and HC team are doing a great job but this was a bit of a meh Page. 

I guess it's due to not a lot of new stuff to do? I really don't know. Sometimes a person needs to take a break from a game and I will continue to do so. Once again, I pray my AE idea gets implemented for the next issue. Pray with me, fellow supers.

3 hours ago, Number Six said:

Well, I often run an mp3 player in the background and like to be able to hear both at reasonable levels.

So . . .

sound.JPG.2d19385a15d766c68e582df0742b4c70.JPG

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

21 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

How has nobody mentioned the changes in Echo Plaza!

My Praetorian was parked where the helicopter is in Echo Plaza and got the badge filled up when I logged in.  However, she's resistance, so no actual badge and as far as I can tell, no way to get it since I can't change alignment again.  (Or at least I don't know of a way)

• Like 1

Reminds me I still need to undo the silent mod file I put in for dark melee soul drain and the zone loading necro zombie upgrade sounds.  Both absolutely blasted me out of the room every time in the past.  I very much did NOT enjoy them.  So yeah, I'm all for the sound adjustments anyway.

Howling twilight never bothered me though and that one seemed fine to me.  Maybe because it was usually at range so I didn't get the full brunt of the volume?  That one is a shame if it is too quiet now, it was a lovely sound effect.

Edited by Riverdusk

5 hours ago, Zhym said:

And they shouldn't be required to, IMO.  The forums should supplement the game, not be a required part of it.

No, going to the forums is not a requirement. But deliberately ignoring information that is pointed out to you in a window you are required to see and then expecting the other players to supply you with the information you already decided you didn't care about, at least to me, smacks of self-entitlement -- "I can't be bothered looking for myself; tell me what I want to know."

5 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

I realize that most of our player base is a senior citizen center. 

Eh? What was that sonny? Get off my lawn! Darn whippersnapper with your newfangled Nintendo PlayBox thingy. Back in my day we played with rocks and sticks! That was when the outhouse was right over yonder. Respect your elders sonny, ya hear? Now go on and git!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Xandyr said:

Eh? What was that sonny? Get off my lawn! Darn whippersnapper with your newfangled Nintendo PlayBox thingy. Back in my day we played with rocks and sticks! That was when the outhouse was right over yonder. Respect your elders sonny, ya hear? Now go on and git!

Yeah, I fall into this group too I just refuse to be an old fart.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

8 hours ago, Number Six said:

Different sound processors handle it differently.  I run sound effects at 10 or 12 typically and it's pretty balanced.  Music oddly works up to 20, but no more.  But if I run it off the RealTek audio processor built-into-the-motherboard, it's ear splittingly loud (and the Oroboros music "pulses" in volume/amplitude level, bizarre).  I don't know WHY there's a difference, but their definitely is one.  Maybe it's codecs?  I kind of doubt it's hardware, but maybe the overall driver structure is different for different brands.  Most people out there are using RealTek Audio processing (because it's a cheap and commonly produced chipset).

What I do wish though was that certain powers has a bit more explosive bass-leaning oompf!  (i.e.: Fireball, for example: D.A. fireball spell )
Fortunately some of this (like the beam rifle sound replacements, or assault rifle sound replacements) are available on CoH Modder

Edited by agentx5