Not sure what I am missing

Qelan

5 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

is if there is this "everything aggro's now" deal is the concept of an aggro cap gone and secondly, does that mean taking and/or using Taunt (or its analogs) is essentially rendered obsolete now?

As I understand it, essentially no.

Cap is still 17.  Mobs beyond 17 that have the perception to notice you and are within the range of their ranged attacks will lob fire at you, but are not supposed to pursue if you break LoS or exit their viable range.  Nor should they close to melee range until a slot opens inside your solo aggro cap. If you are on a team and at the 17 cap then the ranged volleys should overflow onto teammates which are not at the aggro cap.  I can see this mechanic drawing multiple groups down upon teams where previously the group across the room would just watch us slaughter their friends and wait their turn.

Taunt should still apply -range and should still draw the taunted mobs attention away from whatever it was attacking and onto the source of the taunt.

Mobs that break these behaviors should probably be reported as bugs (with some sort of referential info ideally) so that Devs can determine if the mechanic is WAI or if there are lingering issues not discovered during testing.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

54 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

If you are on a team and at the 17 cap then the ranged volleys should overflow onto teammates which are not at the aggro cap.

Not quite.  The "ranged volleys" where the mobs don't pursue only apply to aggro capped teammates when nobody else is around to share the aggro.   If there are teammates, the aggro will spill onto them in full.  i.e. Mobs will chase non-aggro-capped teammates down if they need to and melee if they want to.  This is exactly how aggro sharing on teams worked before the patch.  That's why the patch notes claim that not much should change on teams.   

This is mostly a concern for soloists whether they are soloing normal content, farming, or "soloing" on a team.

1 hour ago, InvaderStych said:

Taunt should still apply -range and should still draw the taunted mobs attention away from whatever it was attacking and onto the source of the taunt.

Not "still".  Prior to the patch it would usually be the case that, e.g., an aggro capped tanker would toss a taunt at some new mobs attacking a teammate and be entirely ignored by them because they couldn't get any more aggro than the 17 they had.  Now after the patch, the aggro list gets re-evaluated and the newly taunted mobs are likely to be high on the list (due to the way taunt duration magnifies threat).  Hence the tanker in this example is likely to gain the attention of those new mobs... and lose an equal number of other mobs lower on their threat list to maintain the total of 17.  Taunt, of course, still applies its -range debuff regardless.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the information.  It wasn't impacting my play but I was curious.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

1 hour ago, High_Beam said:

does that mean taking and/or using Taunt (or its analogs) is essentially rendered obsolete now?

Probably the opposite actually.  With the new re-evaluation mechanics for threat, having Taunt may be the only guaranteed way to get new aggro when you're already aggro capped.  Reason being is that most mobs you are already aggroed on might have been affected by your taunt auras and punch-voke taunts.  So you've got pretty high threat on them already.  The only way to get new aggro with the new mechanic is to generate even more threat on the new mobs so that it pushes others off your list.  Taunt is a sure-fire way to do that because of the way threat is multiplied by remaining taunt duration.  Taunt, the power, has a base 41 second duration.  Punch-voke and taunt auras are around 15 seconds.  That means anything you hit with Taunt is often instantly bumped to the top of your threat list even over other stuff you might have less recently taunted with lesser taunt effects.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, ZemX said:

Not quite.

Yes. That is a much clearer and more accurate explanation. Thanks!

47 minutes ago, ZemX said:

Not "still". 

Gotcha.  For some reason I thought that was already the case.

Edited by InvaderStych
? removed

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

On 8/24/2022 at 2:32 PM, The_Warpact said:

Ffffffffffffffffvvvvvvvcccccccckkkkkkkkk

That's crappy I hate those @ssholes.

My teleport sfx mod is great for this, you can hear them "pop" when they return.

• Haha 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.