Dacy

Poll: Items We'd Like to See Added To Base Editor  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Highest Priority Addition

• NPCs that don’t randomize that you can choose, pose, and outfit
    • More internal teleporters, preferably ones you can assign names to
    • Small and tiny letters
    • A variety of shapes in various sizes that you can tint or surface map
    • Modular walls you can tint or surface map (with very thin segments, no trim, short segments for under and above windows and above doors)
    • Road segments (straight, curved, intersection) with road markings
    • More floors, doors, windows, door jams, ceilings, roofs
  2. 2. Second Highest Priority Editing Improvement

• Small and tiny letters
    • Modular walls you can tint or surface map (with very thin segments, no trim, short segments for under and above windows and above doors)
  3. 3. Third Highest Priority Editing Improvement

• Small and tiny letters

• Community Rep

Feel free to comment additionally, but remember, we want to focus our requests so they are able to work on what is most needed.

Edited by Dacy
added link to other poll
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

OMG THE UNHOLY THINGS I WOULD DO FOR TEXTILES!!!! Ok, maybe not unholy, but you get the idea. x'D ANTYHING with fabrics would be AMAZING!!!! Pillows, blankets, rugs that don't look like they were dragged out of a toilet, clothing. DISHES!!! One of the biggest complaints I've heard time and again is the lack of just regular cups and mugs that aren't arachnos mugs. Wall art. Photos that aren't of boats. Rocks that aren't the size of houses and glow in the dark.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, aalyasenai said:

Ooo! Ooo!!! And smaller fauna! It would be so nice to be able to just place a nice bouquet of flowers on a table. I would love that!!!

Fauna = animals, Flora = plants. 🙂

Unless the bouquet of flowers you're looking to place is some sort of animal flower, then please ignore this. 😅

• Thumbs Up 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Edit - Moved original response to the other poll, where more appropriate.

But yeah. I'd love smaller letters - give me a medium, small and tiny for things like door numbers, addresses and the like that don't have to be giant.

Edited by Greycat
  • Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

• Community Rep
3 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

The CoyoteNephews want me to add something that wasn't on the polls... Slippery surfaces. 

They really, really want the oil slick and ice patches that they can slide around on and Frostfire's ice ramps.  

This would certainly be easier than the current workaround! 🙂 (Yes, we can make slippery surfaces. Check out: The Oasis, Rat City, The WItch's House, and a few other bases for slides!) Ice in any form would be WONDERFUL! I'm hoping that'd be part of texture mapping, as far as plates go, I've lost count of the number of times folks have bemoaned the lack of snow or sand surfaces.

-Dacy

• Like 1

I'm not such a hardcore builder as to have really felt much for any of those selections. However! If we could be given some of the smaller mission maps as 'pre-fabricated' bases that would be absolutely amazing. The warehouse from Posi 2, stop the fighting, any/all variants of the Shining Stars base(s), the floating Oranbega island map from one of the Patron arcs, etc. A baseline that we could then decorate further. That's my dream for i1,493 Page 98.

• Thumbs Up 2

How about sand objects that can actually stack with each other or at least moderately blend into each other? I tried making a beach in one base. Had the water tiles for the swim area. And used the sand/dirt-looking debris to make the actual beach. Except those objects neither stack well nor fit together well leaving the beach a blanket of shimmer from the stone floor down to the "sea floor". And if you turned around at the water and looked back up the beach, there are unavoidable invisible points because of how the debris piles are shaped. (As in areas where you could look through my "sand" at the stone ground and far wall the "sand" was hiding. A flat surface with sand texture would fix that right up because then I could just drop the debris piles on it to give the beach an uneven surface.

2 hours ago, Dacy said:

This would certainly be easier than the current workaround! 🙂 (Yes, we can make slippery surfaces. Check out: The Oasis, Rat City, The WItch's House, and a few other bases for slides!) Ice in any form would be WONDERFUL! I'm hoping that'd be part of texture mapping, as far as plates go, I've lost count of the number of times folks have bemoaned the lack of snow or sand surfaces.

-Dacy

I showed them the waterslide at Oasis and they loved it. Making one of their own was a little fiddlier than either wanted to commit to, though. 😆

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

2 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

I showed them the waterslide at Oasis and they loved it. Making one of their own was a little fiddlier than either wanted to commit to, though. 😆

How did you do it? I don't currently have any bases that need slippery surfaces, but one could definitely be incorporated into my sunken city.

Just now, Rudra said:

How did you do it? I don't currently have any bases that need slippery surfaces, but one could definitely be incorporated into my sunken city.

I didn't build that one... But there's a thread about it in the Base Building section. It involves a few hundred letters stacked together. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

• Community Rep
34 minutes ago, Rudra said:

There are several methods. Join my Discord for answers to questions like these and others!  🙂  https://discord.gg/8pMP3qbxXB    But honestly, the different ways involve using items that generate the "slipping" pose when you go over them, just in a focused way that directs the slide repetitively. Objects used: Letters, heart in a jar, brains in jars, barrels (from landscaping). I'm going to do a video on it at some point. Just can't get to my work station right now for any length of time to do it. 😒

And that's what advanced base building is like: taking the objects they've given to us, and finding really creative workarounds for the things we wish we had! 🙂 But that means it's very difficult for people who aren't advanced base builders. Heck, it's very difficult for those of us who ARE.

-Dacy

• Community Rep
59 minutes ago, Rudra said:

How about sand objects that can actually stack with each other or at least moderately blend into each other?

I'm hoping/understanding that the texture mapping would cover things like sand and snow, at least, that's the reason I keep hearing for why they don't just grab some beach front from Talos and some snow from the Ski Lodge slopes. 

However, I have zero info on what progress, if any, they have made towards texture mapping. And I probably won't until items actually start to appear. 🙂 And this is part of why I wanted to raise our voices, so they know that the project is worth their precious and limited time! 🙂

-Dacy

I voted roads. It's the number 1 thing keeping me from finishing my base, because i don't feel like laying down hundreds of tiny charcoal tiles (the silo stand thing doesn't work for me with those dusty lines on the edges).

Along that note, cityscape peices like buildings and stuff.

Edited by EmperorSteele

Oh, I would LOVE more fauna. That could go a long way to making some bases feel more "alive". For instance we have several of the vanity pet options ie black wolf in the editor already - I wonder how easy it would be to bring more over?

Now that my off-poll suggestion is over...

Thank you for putting this together! 🙂 Clarity through the focus polls like these generate definitely sounds like the way forward.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

A pre-fab outdoor base would be good.

No need for placement of items, but not having to construct to create an outdoor environment from scratch would help a lot of people.

I could be like a pick  plot option.

I greatly appreciated more things for kitchens that were provided to us in the last update. 

I'm thinking these things are more geared at general use of the base builder versus individual construction objects based on the polls.

Honestly, I'm wondering where the options came from. The seem kind of limited.

Perhaps people have been talking about these things for a while, and I had no idea.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• Community Rep
35 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I'm thinking these things are more geared at general use of the base builder versus individual construction objects based on the polls.

Exactly. We have a fairly large library of objects ranging from the generally useful to the oddly specific. The items selected for the poll were things that have been mentioned over and over. The poll is to more accurately gauge which would be more useful to the most people. It only makes sense to gear a request for an upgrade towards things that are useful for the most people. Also, some thought has been put into what sort of items could be the most versatile, and also actually reduce piece count overall, which will reduce lag for some people. 

35 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Honestly, I'm wondering where the options came from. The seem kind of limited.

Above, I explained where the list came from.  There is a topic in the base building forum about suggested items; there are also several active Discord servers where people talk about many things, this included. Easter bunny and I are responsible for winnowing down the vast list of things people have asked for into a focused list. We used our experience and our contact with the general community of builders to help decide which things were likely to benefit the most. It really had to be limited to be an effective poll, although I admit I had to delete two categories in getting this posted, because it was having problems I didn’t know why it wouldn’t post. The categories that weren’t included were textile things such as towels and curtains, and smaller  /more varied flora. 

The list had to be limited due to the reasons I mentioned in the post: developer time is limited, and so it only makes sense to focus on the most important, most widely useful things, because gives the devs the best place to start if they’re looking to give us something, realizing there is no way to give us all the things. Just looking at the comments that have followed this and the variety of items asked for there should give you an idea of the scope of specific things requested. It can get overwhelming very quickly, and so we limited the options to what seemed to be the most important things. 

-Dacy 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm glad to see that doors made the list... but what I think would be fantastic is a variety of doors that WORK. Click on them and they open, and/or approach them and they open. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Community Rep
1 hour ago, BlackSpectre said:

I'm glad to see that doors made the list... but what I think would be fantastic is a variety of doors that WORK. Click on them and they open, and/or approach them and they open. 

Yes, this would be fabulous, but I doubt it’s feasible. The item creator has been trying to work on some thing that looks like it opens and closes, but not a lot of success. I admittedly did not include things on the list that I know for sure are highly unlikely. Along with doors that open and close, I would include the ability to interact with chairs so that a character automatically sits when you click on the chair and use it. But I think we would need a different engine or program all together to be able to accomplish something like this.

-Dacy

Edited by Dacy

Here's another one. Fix the base object selection algorithm. If I'm trying to select the floor in front of me or the placed object in front of me, I don't want the island rock nowhere near my character to be what the editor insists I am selecting.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Community Rep

Agreed, Rudra, that is annoying! A lot of times it's based on the item box, which you can't even see, which might be the first thing the computer sees on the presented screen, and there isn't much they can do about that, other than possibly decreasing the size of the massive object boxes? Idk. But some items seem to take priority, such as light fixtures. If I have a light fixture anywhere near where I'm grabbing things, chances are on the high side that I'll get the light fixture every time. And trees...I don't want to talk about trees. Ugh. It'd be wonderful if they could fix that, but I suspect that would be a difficult fix. We asked to fix base shift, tho, so, yeah, may as well try!

-Dacy

Also, please fix the NPC boxes. The NPC models are at the front of the box rather than the middle of the box. So placing NPCs seated on chairs at tables or other locations of not just standing around can be excessively tricky at times.

• Thumbs Up 4