Can't make teleporters work

AyamSirias

I have made bases before and I always put teleporters in my base for an easy way to get around the game. However, I recently made a new supergroup a couple days ago and went in to create a new base, but now I can't get the teleporters to work or connect to the beacons no matter what I do. One time I got it to work temporarily but still no luck. Is there any bug issues with base editing since the new patch or upgrade came out?

I am not aware of any bug going on, but that's not to say it isn't bugged. 

One thing I can suggest, as I fell prey to this....  Check your alignment.  If you are a hero trying to place villain zones beacons, they won't show up for you; and vice versa for villains trying to place hero zone beacons.  I spent a very frustrating and foul-mouthed hour trying to get villain zone beacons to work when it suddenly hit me - I was a Hero and OF COURSE they wouldn't show for me.  lol  😄  Once I switched to Vigilante/Rogue, they appeared and worked as intended.  ....long shot, but maybe that's your issue?? 

If not, here are some things to note/check....

1. Confirm you are getting the yellow box around the beacon/teleporter when you place them.  If so, they are connected.  If not, they are too far away.  
  2. There is a max limit to how many beacons you can place on 1 teleporter.  I believe it is 10, if I recall correctly.  If you only have 1 teleporter and are trying to place more than that, they won't get the yellow box around them noting they are connected - you'll have to place another teleporter.

I hope some of this helps.

• Community Rep

There was a bug, it was supposed to have been fixed in the  Tuesday patch. However, since the patch, I've had someone who described the absolutely correct process for putting together a teleporter to the zones, and yet, the teleporters would not work, even after letting the base reset. Which, before the patch, sometimes they would work after reset, I believe. I have been trying to notify a particular dev, but probably the best way to let them know that the fix didn't take is to make a report in bugs.

And please, let us know if there was a mistake you hadn't realized was preventing you from getting them to work. It'd be good to know one way or the other if the bug isn't fixed.

-Dacy

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2022 at 2:10 PM, AyamSirias said:

However, I recently made a new supergroup a couple days ago and went in to create a new base, but now I can't get the teleporters to work or connect to the beacons no matter what I do.

I'm just wondering ... I'm just a tinker ... but ... I don't want to say turn off  your router, leave it off for 5 minutes, turn it back and let it sit for 5 minutes, and then restart your computer ... but... [erk... just saw Six-Six's post... thought I had read the whole thread, but sometimes we gloss over the small bits]

I hear these days that we don't need power and control in bases? Is that correct?

If so, then I guess I have to ask if you have power and control in your base.

If not, maybe put them in to see if that helps.

Next, have you deleted all the teleports and teleport beacons, exited the base, gone back in and put back in the teleporters and beacons, exited the base, gone back in, and see if they are working?

[Possibly some steps optional, but that should be about clean of a reset of your teleports as possible]

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• Community Rep

Power and control are only needed for medical items, including the combat log and tree of wonders. So if you have rez rings, you will need power and control, but otherwise, items such as teleporters do not need power or control to work.

A short checklist to make sure the teleporter should word:

1. You have placed a teleporter and no more than 10 destination beacons per teleporter from the editor into your base.
  2. Both teleporter and beacon used are from the same type, either both technology, or both arcane.
  3. The beacon is very close to the teleporter it is attached to, and you see a yellow box around the teleporter if you click on the beacon, and you see the beacon outlined in yellow if you click on the teleporter, and the item window for the beacon says "attached".
  4. When checking available zones on the teleporter when out of edit mode, you are of the same alignment as the zone you are looking to be able to see.

Additionally, to be on the safe side (unproven possible glitch), make sure the teleporters are at least 100 feet from rez equipment or the entry beacon. (check your targeting window, distance of any targeted object should show there; if it does not, you can turn that option on under "options" from the main character menu).

If you've done all of this and the teleporter doesn't work, report it as a bug. For the most accurate information, first, leave your base for at least 6 minutes (reset time) and see if the teleporters work now. Report results when you report the bug.

-Dacy

• Thumbs Up 3

• Community Rep
On 8/28/2022 at 1:10 PM, AyamSirias said:

I have made bases before and I always put teleporters in my base for an easy way to get around the game. However, I recently made a new supergroup a couple days ago and went in to create a new base, but now I can't get the teleporters to work or connect to the beacons no matter what I do. One time I got it to work temporarily but still no luck. Is there any bug issues with base editing since the new patch or upgrade came out?

AyamSirias, I would like to visit your base and see if I can see what's going on. There was a patch that should have fixed this, as I said, and I've tried to reproduce this bug, with no luck. If the bug persists, it's under specific conditions, and I'd need to see what those conditions are in order to assess.  You can reach me here or in game @Dacy. Thanks!

-Dacy

• 1 month later
On 8/28/2022 at 11:10 AM, AyamSirias said:

They sometimes have quirks.

For example I've noticed that if your using a interdimensional shard for a teleport it must remain close to the ground because your character will actually step into it once selected.

If you raise it from the ground a little it will no longer work.

Also, I noticed that some portals simply didn't work. So experiment with the different portals would be my advise.

On 8/28/2022 at 2:10 PM, AyamSirias said:

Once helped someone who was attempting to attach arcane beacons to tech style porters.  If you use the balls of light or swirling lights, the description of what kind of porter it is, is usually in the description of the item being placed.  After we fixed that they were able to have them work.

Buddy the Elf makes debut for HUB Late Night

Untitled.jpg

• Community Rep

One person I helped who said that they couldn't get them to work was actually trying to place the beacons too far away from the teleporter. Make sure you have the correct alignment, and that you are placing the beacon closely to the teleporter. Message me in game at @Dacy if it's still not working, I'll have a look.

-Dacy

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/18/2022 at 2:13 PM, Dacy said:

One person I helped who said that they couldn't get them to work was actually trying to place the beacons too far away from the teleporter. Make sure you have the correct alignment, and that you are placing the beacon closely to the teleporter. Message me in game at @Dacy if it's still not working, I'll have a look.

-Dacy

Are you sure? My experience has been that the beacon will select the closest portal to link to, no matter the distance. 

I usually hide my beacons way away from my portals on the edge of the map in a straight line from the portal source.

• Community Rep

I'm sure that was the problem, yes. Once the beacons were moved close to the beacon, they connected with no problem. Distance also makes keeping the beacons at one particular teleporter more difficult.

I am not sure what advantage you think that putting your beacons that far away gives you? Beacons are quite easily hidden in the floor, in surrounding objects, in the wall, etc; there is no need to send them to the edge of the map.

-Dacy

Edited by Dacy

• Community Rep
On 10/17/2022 at 3:26 PM, Sneakers said:

They sometimes have quirks.

For example I've noticed that if your using a interdimensional shard for a teleport it must remain close to the ground because your character will actually step into it once selected.

If you raise it from the ground a little it will no longer work.

Patch has changed the behavior of interdimensional shards. Not sure how it wasn't working when above the ground; maybe you mean above a floor? I've never had that problem. But regardless, you no longer seem to go down into the ground with the interdimensional shard.

-Dacy

In my experience it didn't matter the distance of the beacon, or if it did then it was a very long distance. Thats my only point.

I don't know when they patched the interdimensional shards. But I recently made portals with them and they would not work with the shard elevated from what I'm calling the ground but is really just the lowest level floor possible in a room. They only linked to the beacons when I lowered them a little closer to the floor. But they worked cool with the approach animation once I did.

• Community Rep

Perhaps if you brought your beacons closer, they would indeed work above the floor. You can check if a beacon is connected to a teleport in a couple of ways: the teleporter box turns yellow, or you'll see it listed in connections under aux in the item box.

They just patched the teleporters on Tuesday's patch.

-Dacy

Edited by Dacy

I got them working now just fine.

They work fine with the beacons clear across the base.

I like them closer to the ground now and I placed other items to make it look like a warp platform.

But I might test it out because they look cool elevated also.

• Community Rep
7 minutes ago, Sneakers said:

In my experience it didn't matter the distance of the beacon, or if it did then it was a very long distance.

Part of my job as community rep is to allow people to take advantage of my experience. I'm glad you haven't had the issues others have had with the distance, but distance can be demonstrably a factor in difficulties with teleporters. My job is to give accurate best practices that will work for people. My best advice to someone having difficulties with teleporters remains to check to make sure both beacon and teleporter are of the same alignment (tech or arcane), place the beacons close to the teleporter, especially if you have other teleporters of the same alignment nearby, and when checking them, make sure your character can see that particular destination (hero can't see villain destinations, for example). If you do all of this and still have difficulties, call me @dacy in game, or page me on the Base Building in game chat channel. I or another moderator will be happy to try and help.

-Dacy

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Dacy said:

Perhaps if you brought your beacons closer, they would indeed work above the floor. You can check if a beacon is connected to a teleport in a couple of ways: the teleporter box turns yellow, or you'll see it listed in connections under aux in the item box.

-Dacy

I tested it out and it did work elevated. I think maybe my problem with the shard was that I maybe had the approach path blocked. Not sure but it is working elevated now on its own.

I also tested out the distance thing and there is a max distance. It's around 8 squares if you're looking at the plot size. I use a massive secure complex 24x28 and it stopped linking outside of around 8 or 10 squares away from the beacon.

Hiding them away was useful for me because I removed the lowest level of floor from my base so there is no floor essentially. 

So I used that method to make portals which stand on their own with nothing around them.