Sins of the Devs are visited upon the players

The_Warpact

I'm impressed this went over 30 pages, shine on you crazy diamonds etc.  I was interested in the talk but then somebody started posting spoilers ("No, what's actually wrong with the game is all these important things that happen in the story, here I'll list them") so I left back on page maybe 8 or 9.  I don't as a rule ask this, but did I miss anything especially good in the last 20 pages or so?  It looks like now people are talking about the True Meaning of Christmas Farming, but really that lives inside each of our hearts or something right?

On 9/15/2022 at 1:46 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

guy who never misses an opportunity to point out how biased and ridiculous the moderation on this forum often is.

I like to look at the whole forum as Praetorian roleplaying.  You got heavy-handed "for your own good" attempts to steer the way people think speak and behave, you got sycophantic forum citizens looking to curry favor with those in power and REALLY PUNISH dissenters for the ungrateful swine they are, you probably even got people looking to use the realities of the power structure for their own self-promotion.  Some in the Resistance use heinously inept slang that likely qualifies as a war crime, and mock themselves with feeble attempts to somehow seem punk or otherwise counterculture, which reminds me of NOTHING and NO ONE on the forums, I'm just putting it here for no reason.  Others just want to see forum stuff catch on fire or explode, metaphorically speaking.

So I'd like to thank everyone for doing their part, especially those in power (I am an obedient and content citizen player, see?).  For real though, thanks, I enjoy playing the game and I enjoy reading the forums, and I'm pretty sure I only get to because of people putting in work.  Work that I could never do the public-facing parts of unless I was allowed to stab fools.  In-game.

Edited by lepidopter
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The original root of my post and this thread, was to simply call out mistakes that I believe and hopefully others believe.

It started with the Live devs and was passed onto the HC devs who only continued it because really they were handed a bunch of mistakes. I am happy that they try to go into a different direction ie hard mode, content, powerset proliferation, etc. Just don't think too big or attempt stuff out of your control. 

The playerbase obviously loves certain things of this game that should be built upon, while other stuff should get some attention but not all the attention. Example, let's see more Hard Mode TFs/SFs start doing established ones like the LRSF and Ms Liberty. Let's see revamps of the Shadow Shard TFs go co-op get a make over and then introduce them as Hard Mode. Same with Lady Grey.

Giving these all the TFs/SFs a fresh coat of paint would help tremendously. 

While my OP got down thumbed more than anything,  I think I proved my point in 30+ pages that ultimately we love the game and HC is doing an *ok* job. We came together voiced our opinions and didn't die in a flaming thread lock.

For that I applaud you.

• Thumbs Up 4

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

8 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Quick, someone say something to get this thread locked!

(I'm kidding don't do that)

'Someone lock this thread'.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 5:46 PM, ForeverLaxx said:

To the issue of respecs, the real problem is that the UI and systems used for a respec is just the standard level-up screen and it does not work very well when you're asked to re-pick all your powers, reassign slots, then drop in enhancements from a tiny enhancement window that likes to mix things up. IOs made respecs feel even worse than before because sometimes, changing powers drastically enough to require a respec could completely ruin your overall IO build if the sets you used in the now "dead" power can't be easily transferred to the new replacement power. You basically have to rebuild everything from the ground up to account for the new power and might even have to get entirely new IOs to outfit it with. Back when all you had were SOs and HamiOs, this was a much smaller nuisance.

I don't think there can be a solution to this without completely redesigning the entire system and interface for it, and that's something I wouldn't expect even the Live Devs to tackle, much less volunteer ones.

That said, wanting no change to ever require a respec and to "get it right the first time" is basically impossible. We're not building cabinets to suit a client's specifications, we're building character systems with a degree of personal autonomy and breadth of choice that something, somewhere, won't do what it's supposed to. Maybe a set is just so numerically bad that something has to be done about it. Maybe something is so far away above everything else that designing new content becomes difficult as you have to account for full teams of the OP thing and its wiser to just nerf the OP thing first.

"Do it right the first time" shows a lack of understanding of how evolving systems and player influence can impact the final product. I get that respecs are annoying and IO builds just make them more so, but nothing in the game is ever going to be untouched after release for long. Something, somewhere, will always break.

Firstly, I feel like the game should allow respecs for free, up to level 20-30 or so say (in safe zones only of course). That aside, why not partner with Mids & allow that to be the respec client, given how well that UI has generally been designed specifically for that purpose...? Just export to an encrypted (using your unique account IDs) mxd file, respec/re-arrange to your heart's desire, save & re-import back into the game. Yes, security, security, security, I'm aware of all the risks and potential arsehattery with this, but what else would be a better solution...the devs to re-engineer something like the Mids UI natively into the game? As you mentioned, that would be a very significant undertaking & perhaps not the best place for the team to spend their precious time. I'd much rather be surprised with a major patch including a brand new AT, or new primaries/secondaries, even a web slinging travel power! <EG> - NO! Don't do that or Di$ney will def come after us lol! 😉 

Edited by Nostromo21

Game over man, game over!

• 1 month later