If you had to choose 1 Defender to run all the TFs, what defender would you choose ??

smnolimits41

5 hours ago, Frosticus said:

Rad/sonic

Teamed or solo it just enables everyone to do things easy to hard. 

For low level content that occasionally gets turned up too high making people whiff - rad infection is a godsend

For higher content - EF, AM and sonic blasts keep the team running quickly

Lingering rad is still one of the best powers in the game - good range, big aoe, high values, can be stacked a bit solo - arguably the best -regen power

Goldilocks combo for almost any team.

I think the OP's question is what defender would you use to run all TFs in the game.

To do ITF 4 star and AEON 4 Star

The nomination has to go to Cold Defender. 

Cold now is meta for the new ITF 4 star and certain can fit in meta for AEON Relentless. 

What secondary ?  Ice and Fire and PSI are the least resisted in the ITF 4 Star.  

Pairing with Banish Pantheon Lore pets, will certainly give the edge to Ice blast. 

Rad has no place in meta runs for 4 stars especially speed runs. 

Cold brings all to the table for the team.  

4-5 of them in the team is super great. 

Very useful buffs, debuffs in one set. 

This can be applied to many other TFs as well. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

1 hour ago, Voltak said:

I think the OP's question is what defender would you use to run all TFs in the game.

Cold now is meta for the new ITF 4 star and certain can fit in meta for AEON Relentless. 

What secondary ?  Ice and Fire and PSI are the least resisted in the ITF 4 Star.  

Pairing with Banish Pantheon Lore pets, will certainly give the edge to Ice blast. 

4 star meta speed ITF = all TFs?

Ok

Cold is awesome, trust I have a bit of experience playing the set. It has always been "meta" for high level teams.

Did OP specify meta speed 4 star lvl 50+ TFs? Or all?

Maybe I misread. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Voltak said:

Rad is fine on 4* ITFs.  You only need four to five Colds on the team if most of your team is bad.  Honestly, you don't need any Colds on a 4* ITF, although I won't deny that it's helpful.  But it's certainly doable without.  And the OP didn't say a word about hard modes, let alone 4*.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

11 minutes ago, Astralock said:

And the OP didn't say a word about hard modes, let alone 4*.

No, but they did say "all the TFs" so that would logically mean including hard mode.

If the OP is not including hard mode, then my suggestion would be to pick a primary that sounds like fun then pick a secondary that sounds fun.

If your primary doesn't include a self heal, I'd probably lean toward Dark or Water Blast but that's not even necessary.

• Thumbs Up 2

What this team needs is more Defenders

27 minutes ago, Astralock said:

Rad is fine on 4* ITFs.  You only need four to five Colds on the team if most of your team is bad.  Honestly, you don't need any Colds on a 4* ITF, although I won't deny that it's helpful.  But it's certainly doable without.  And the OP didn't say a word about hard modes, let alone 4*.

You talking from experience?  You seen this first hand?
You seen best runs? 

Let me tell you what experience has demonstrated 

The best teams have 5 colds, one Kinetics, two dmg dealers (scrapper and blaster) 
Or 

4 Colds, one kin, two dmg, one poison 

Rad has no place in the best ITF 4 star teams 

What I mean by best teams for 4 star ITF --  The fastest times with the fewer number of deaths. 

ITF 4 star is part of the "ALL TFs" 

ITF has a classical and a new (advanced) formation

AEON R is also a hard mode TF

• Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, Frosticus said:

4 star meta speed ITF = all TFs?

Ok

Cold is awesome, trust I have a bit of experience playing the set. It has always been "meta" for high level teams.

Did OP specify meta speed 4 star lvl 50+ TFs? Or all?

Maybe I misread. 

Hard mode ITF is part of the all TFs 

The question is 
What Defender would you chose to run ALL TFs?

All TFs include hard mode ITF and includes AEON as well 

I would not pick Rad over Cold to run ALL TFs since when hard mode ITF, especially for speed 4 star mode looking for few deaths,  because  cold will do much much much more for the team. 
Same thing for AEON , especially R

14 minutes ago, Voltak said:

You seen best runs? 

The best teams have 5 colds, one Kinetics, two dmg dealers (scrapper and blaster) 
Or 

What I mean by best teams for 4 star ITF --  The fastest times with the fewer number of deaths. 

Remember the other day, when you were complaining at Frosticus for his alleged condescension?
You need to take a long look in the mirror bud.

Edited by Doomrider
  • Thanks 5

18 minutes ago, Voltak said:

You seen best runs? 

Or 

Yes, I have done 4* hard modes without any Cold Domination characters on the team.  In fact, I've led them.

I don't care about best runs, as that's meaningless.  Is the job accomplished?  If yes, that's all that matters.

The OP wasn't even asking about "best" 4* ITF teams with the fastest times.  Believe it or not, not everyone cares about the fastest times.

Really all you (being yourself and others that insist that every hard mode team needs multiple Cold Domination characters), are doing is crying for Cold to be nerfed at some point.

Edited by Astralock
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Voltak said:

You seen best runs? 

Or 

Unless OP pops in and said they were actually seeking meta 4* speed run build I'll take them at their word that they were seeking a build that would play well across all TF's. Some people find they enjoy the lower level TF's like posi or even katie. Some people find joy in normal TF's like market crash and just run it with a few friends. Some people want to dabble in soloing TF's. And yes some people enjoy 4* speed runs, but not everyone enjoys watching lore pets play the game, or rushing everything at breakneck speed.

I think you are stuck in the mindset that your way is the best and only way to play. It is not.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Astralock said:

Rad is fine on 4* ITFs.  You only need four to five Colds on the team if most of your team is bad.

You said you need 4 or 5 colds in the team if most of your team is bad. 

That's what you said 

Ok, here are the facts -- 

The best teams, as defined by fastest times with the least amount of deaths, to do 4 star ITF... well, they run 4-5 Colds. 

So that is contrary to what you are saying.   It's not if most of your team is bad.  

Very good players are running -4-5 colds to do ITF 4 star at the fastest times with fewest deaths

@Doomrider

I was addressing my comments that way because he affirmed that if most of the team is bad , then you need Colds. 

Well, very good players are using that team make up to do the 4 stars in the most efficient way - meaning fastest times with fewer deaths. 

13 minutes ago, Frosticus said:

Unless OP pops in and said they were actually seeking meta 4* speed run build I'll take them at their word that they were seeking a build that would play well across all TF's. Some people find they enjoy the lower level TF's like posi or even katie. Some people find joy in normal TF's like market crash and just run it with a few friends. Some people want to dabble in soloing TF's. And yes some people enjoy 4* speed runs, but not everyone enjoys watching lore pets play the game, or rushing everything at breakneck speed.

I think you are stuck in the mindset that your way is the best and only way to play. It is not.

This is simple to explain 

The OP mentioned ALL TFs. 

Are excluding the new Task Forces , are we including the new Advanced ITF, or four Star ITFs?

Are we excluding AEON relentless ?

If we are not excluding them, and I don't think we are, then, again, if I am to pick only one Defender to do all those Task Forces, all of them, then I will pick a Cold Defender because of all they bring in one toon as far as buffs and debuffs.  

Honorable mention goes to Electric Affinity.  

You saying that SOME people enjoy 4 star speed runs, but not everyone enjoys lore pets play the game. 

That shows you don't know what you are talking about. 

Inferring that the lore pets are the doing the work for you in 4 Star Speed runs is ridiculous. 

Have you been in any of the ITF 4 star speed runs?   

Edited by Voltak

7 minutes ago, Voltak said:

You said you need 4 or 5 colds in the team if most of your team is bad. 

That's what you said 

Ok, here are the facts -- 

The best teams, as defined by fastest times with the least amount of deaths, to do 4 star ITF... well, they run 4-5 Colds. 

So that is contrary to what you are saying.   It's not if most of your team is bad.  

Very good players are running -4-5 colds to do ITF 4 star at the fastest times with fewest deaths

@Doomrider

I was addressing my comments that way because he affirmed that if most of the team is bad , then you need Colds. 

Well, very good players are using that team make up to do the 4 stars in the most efficient way - meaning fastest times with fewer deaths. 

What I said is accurate.  You only need four or five Colds on a team if most of your team is bad.  Are they helpful?  Sure.  But you make it sound like that they're needed for a 4* ITF.  They're not.  You can do 4* without any Cold Domination characters on the team just fine.

FWIW, the fastest 4* ITF teams only have two or three Cold Domination characters on them, with a bunch of procced out Ice Blast Blasters, not four or five Cold Domination characters.  Four or five Cold Domination characters is just the safe way to get a fast time.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Voltak said:

Have you been in any of the ITF 4 star speed runs?   

Have you seen a team fail a DFB?

Cold dom is one of the worst defenders for that. 

I'll delete my 4 cold doms now

Check and mate 👍 

• Haha 2

If I was held down and forced to play a defender, time/fire

Slow patch + rain of fire

Foresight + that -tohit aura whos name escapes me should be damn near unstoppable from the getgo.  and at max level you can 3 membrane and 3 enzyme those two abilities.  power buildup + foresight = extreme levels of defense and tohit

and enough recharge you can have 2 people temporal-whatevered

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Astralock said:

What I said is accurate.  You only need four or five Colds on a team if most of your team is bad.  

FWIW, the fastest 4* ITF teams only have two or three Cold Domination characters on them, with a bunch of procced out Ice Blast Blasters, not four or five Cold Domination characters.  Four or five Cold Domination characters is just the safe way to get a fast time.

So, teams are bad now if they have four or five Colds ?

What is the fastest 4 Star team?  What time did they reach?  how many deaths?

Because from what I know, and I run these a whole lot every week since they started, they include 4-5 Colds, one kinetics, 2 - 3 dmg dealers and some times even a poison is in the team. 

We do keep track and we do have screenshots or videos to corroborate. 

Joke inbound, stand clear of blast zone:

Defenders?

It depends if you are talking old school comics or the Netflix series.  Old school definitely take Dr. Strange.  If you are talking Netflix then Luke Cage for sure.

Joke detonation complete.  Secure from alert.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

3 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

Joke inbound, stand clear of blast zone:

Defenders?

It depends if you are talking old school comics or the Netflix series.  Old school definitely take Dr. Strange.  If you are talking Netflix then Luke Cage for sure.

Joke detonation complete.  Secure from alert.

Oh no, you gotta go for Daredevil. With him you get Electra or She Hulk to go along with him and eventually save his/our bacon. 🙂

3 hours ago, Voltak said:

So, teams are bad now if they have four or five Colds ?

What is the fastest 4 Star team?  What time did they reach?  how many deaths?

Because from what I know, and I run these a whole lot every week since they started, they include 4-5 Colds, one kinetics, 2 - 3 dmg dealers and some times even a poison is in the team. 

We do keep track and we do have screenshots or videos to corroborate. 

You're missing the point, Voltak.

You're a good player, no doubt about it.  But you miss the forest for the trees.  You focus on the meta and ignore everything else.  I know exactly what the meta power sets, ATs, builds, and strategies are, and why, but I just don't care.  Why?  Because you can do a 4* ASF with the Vanguard heroes or a 4* ITF just fine without one single meta build on the team.  Now, you should have a decent team composition - tank, buffs, debuffs, controls, damage, decent IO enhancement builds, and a full set of tier 4 Incarnate abilities.  Most importantly, players who can pay attention.  But meta builds?  Nice to have, sure.  But need?  No.  You can do both 4*s just fine without a single meta build on the team.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, this will be my last post in it.  I don't even like to play Defenders.  But this mindset of "You need to have a meta build on hard modes or GTFO" is toxic, and needs to die in a fire.  Especially when the thread isn't even about hard modes, let alone 4* hard modes, in the first place.  It discourages people from even trying hard modes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Astralock said:

You're missing the point, Voltak.

You're a good player, no doubt about it.  But you miss the forest for the trees.  You focus on the meta and ignore everything else.  I know exactly what the meta power sets, ATs, builds, and strategies are, and why, but I just don't care.  Why?  Because you can do a 4* ASF with the Vanguard heroes or a 4* ITF just fine without one single meta build on the team.  Now, you should have a decent team composition - tank, buffs, debuffs, controls, damage, decent IO enhancement builds, and a full set of tier 4 Incarnate abilities.  Most importantly, players who can pay attention.  But meta builds?  Nice to have, sure.  But need?  No.  You can do both 4*s just fine without a single meta build on the team.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, this will be my last post in it.  I don't even like to play Defenders.  But this mindset of "You need to have a meta build on hard modes or GTFO" is toxic, and needs to die in a fire.  Especially when the thread isn't even about hard modes, let alone 4* hard modes, in the first place.  It discourages people from even trying hard modes.

First, thank you for the compliment. 
That's cool of you. 
We should team at some time.  Would be fine with me to take you on some of our runs. 

But please address what you said. 

"What I said is accurate.  You only need four or five Colds on a team if most of your team is bad."

So bad teams use 4-5 Colds? 
Yes or no.  What times and how many deaths you think they are reaching with that setup ?

Also, you said 

"the fastest 4* ITF teams only have two or three Cold Domination characters on them, with a bunch of procced out Ice Blast Blasters, not four or five Cold Domination characters.  "

So, tell me how fast they did it and how many deaths?  Since you claim they are the fastest 4 star ITF.  

Why are you avoiding the question?

The reason I suggested a Cold defender and made an honorable and worthy mention of elec affinity is that in every Task Force, which includes in that line up even the ITF 4 star and AEON relentless, those two are super good , reliable, tested , proven and always present in the best performance in hardest of PVE game content. 

Am I wrong for suggesting that? 
I don't think so. 

Edited by Voltak
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, Voltak said:

“What I said is accurate.  You only need four or five Colds on a team if most of your team is bad."

Yes or no.  What times and how many deaths you think they are reaching with that setup ?

I think you’re confusing “need” with “have”. Needing 4 colds and having 4 colds are different.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Voltak said:

That's cool of you. 
We should team at some time.  Would be fine with me to take you on some of our runs. 

"What I said is accurate.  You only need four or five Colds on a team if most of your team is bad."

Also, you said 

"the fastest 4* ITF teams only have two or three Cold Domination characters on them, with a bunch of procced out Ice Blast Blasters, not four or five Cold Domination characters.  "

So, tell me how fast they did it and how many deaths?  Since you claim they are the fastest 4 star ITF.  

The reason I suggested a Cold defender and made an honorable and worthy mention of elec affinity is that in every Task Force, which includes in that line up even the ITF 4 star and AEON relentless, those two are super good , reliable, tested , proven and always present in the best performance in hardest of PVE game content. 

I don't think so. 

What Astralock said is correct. You are so focused on the narrow end of content that *you* like to play in, that you leave people like me feeling like we're useless and no good at the game.

Not everyone plays at that level of play. Yes, Cold Dom is a great set, let's leave it at that and stop derailing the thread with your hard mode narrative.

What you do is great, and wanting to help players is great, but understand your/their perspective. And belittling people in this thread isn't going to win you any points. We got it, you think Cold Dom is the best there is for what you do; it's time to move on.

In regards to the OP: I think others have covered many of the sets in here well enough that I wouldn't know what to chime in with, lol. Sometimes I like sets like Poison simply because you're helping the team in an almost invisible way to melt hard targets (i.e., it's noticeable how much faster they're going down). TA is a blast because it has a tool for pretty much any situation and almost plays like a blastroller (though I'm rather fond of it on my corruptor as a Fire/TA; even in the lower level ranges it's just tearing through everything). I mean, if you're just looking for mostly casual play through all the TF's, I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of them. If you're aiming more for hardmode stuff, then yeah, Voltak's going to have a lot more experience in that area.

A lot of this is based on the player behind the character as well. I love the idea of Myshkin's crazy Storm/Energy Defender, but I'm not sure I have the skills required to play it effectively. 

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

7 hours ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

A lot of this is based on the player behind the character as well. I love the idea of Myshkin's crazy Storm/Energy Defender, but I'm not sure I have the skills required to play it effectively

"Talent isn't a trait we are born with, it is a trait we earn over time with practice." - This was my Educational Thesis. I may have come up with the build, but I didn't learn to pilot it without a lot of time behind the wheel, and I failed a LOT of ITF runs before I came up with the undisclosed 4.0 build that I keep for myself (sorry folks, but some super heroes just don't reveal their identities).

Bruce Wayne didn't become Batman overnight.

Power on my friend, and may there be a day we can run a Storm/Nrg 4* Squad!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sir Myshkin said:

"Talent isn't a trait we are born with, it is a trait we earn over time with practice." - This was my Educational Thesis. I may have come up with the build, but I didn't learn to pilot it without a lot of time behind the wheel, and I failed a LOT of ITF runs before I came up with the undisclosed 4.0 build that I keep for myself (sorry folks, but some super heroes just don't reveal their identities).

Bruce Wayne didn't become Batman overnight.

Power on my friend, and may there be a day we can run a Storm/Nrg 4* Squad!

You are so awesome Myshkin. I utterly love the idea of the chaos a Storm/Energy would cause just knocking everything around lol. I may have to actually get over my nerves at my lack of skill and just try it and play it and learn it lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Just now, TygerDarkstorm said:

You are so awesome Myshkin. I utterly love the idea of the chaos a Storm/Energy would cause just knocking everything around lol. I may have to actually get over my nerves at my lack of skill and just try it and play it and learn it lol.

If I could offer any advice, it would be this:

Spoiler

Wear Sunscreen

Spoiler

Okay, but seriously, one of the biggest things is leveling with the build will help through missions and don't power level it so you can accumulate gradual play experience with each component as you go along and feel how they lock together and change as they stack on top of each other. Also buy all of the enhancements up front for anything that can be attuned. I know I personally tucked in a few boosted pieces, but most can just be attuned and level with the build which will help it grow and be easier to play as it goes along. Yes this is a lot of expense up front, but it makes it a much more comfortable curve.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Voltak said:

That's cool of you. 

Also, you said 

I don't think so. 

I feel like I have seen dozens of threads recently that get totally derailed by you insisting your way to play is the best. If someone disagrees with you it is OK to just not respond! I appreciate your builds and videos but this approach is just not the way to go about it.

Anyways, my Time/Dark is what I always come back to, and I have rerolled her several times just to get the experience of playing through the game with that build again. Time offers something useful at all levels and Dark does decent damage with a nice bonus layer of defense through its -tohit.

Edited by Sovereigne
  • Thumbs Up 3