If you had to choose 1 Defender to run all the TFs, what defender would you choose ??

smnolimits41

• 3 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later
9 hours ago, Chronicler J said:

Empathy. Never looked back, never will. Detractors won't understand.

I used to say this back on live. At one point before taskforce commander came out I had ran probably close to 1,000 iterations of the blue side TFs with my empathy/energy def.

That said in today's game with IOs and such empathy is often a bit overkill unless playing PvP. Since the post is about Taskforces on the buffing side it's hard to beat Electrical Affinity. On the Debuffing side, it's hard to beat Trick Arrow.

The question about limiting a defender to only one choice is a fallacy in its own right as just about any powerset available to defenders is worth playing.

My favorite is Rad/Rad, though part of that is that it was my main from very early in Live.  With the new powersets available I'd definitely consider /Water or /DP for the secondary.  My rationale for Radiation primary is that it has arguably the broadest range of support powers even at low levels, it is well known so people like to have them on teams, and I do probably 6 Positron TFs for every ITF.  Due to my play times, I have only had a chance to do one 2* boosted ITF since they released that, and I've done a couple of unboosted Aeons, ever.  My friends all tend to start alts and retire them soon after reaching 50. . . 

I like Time, and Cold, and Kin, and Storm, but they don't get some of their really great powers until the late 20s and 30s, unfortunately.  Some of them are more dependent on team cooperation too, nothing like playing a Kin and the only person who ever comes into melee for Fulcrum Shift is the tank, sigh.  

8 hours ago, smnolimits43 said:

Maybe its just me, but i've never been able to play TA.  Would this be better off solo ??

Not all sets are for everyone.  I appreciate Electric Affinity, but don't enjoy playing it.

Trick Arrow's major downside is that there aren't any bad powers in the set, so you either take everything and miss out on secondary/pool power opportunities, or you skip something delicious.

What this team needs is more Defenders

11 hours ago, smnolimits43 said:

Maybe its just me, but i've never been able to play TA.  Would this be better off solo ??

It's a very great set with the revamp.  The thing about it is that it's a very busy set, a lot of target location arrows.  I HAD to learn binds for this one to get all those arrows out in short order so I could get to fighting.  Once I set up some binds this one became a blast to play.  EMP Arrow will allow you to solo real well, TA as a whole is adaptable to however you want to play it, be it in teams or solo.

Like @Psyonico says there's not really any arrows you'll want to skip.  The only ones to be on the fence about are Glue Arrow which is a great tactical arrow and the Net Arrow which does some decent ST -resistance.  Personally I skipped the net arrow to be able to fit in my wants but yeah they are all hard to pass on.  

On 1/2/2023 at 5:25 PM, bustacap said:

Ice arrow procced is probably more DPA that most of your secondary powers. PGA is a potent - dam which is multiplied by the amount of -resist you do and is a 1 slot wonder (recharge).

This.

I have 5 procs in mine along with a 50+5 accuracy.  All that debuff alone makes this a must have arrow then to top it off its capable of being one of your best ST attacks.  Likely the best thing in your kit.  

Agree too that PGA is a great power to have, it does -50% damage to all enemies for a minute, half unresisted so even a 54 AV you're still getting around -40% damage which is a fantastic help to team survivability.  Just look at it like its a resistance shield for your team but this damage debuff isn't encumbered by a resistance cap.  I 2 slot this with the purple sleep set for the acc/rech.  

All the arrows are fantastic each in their own way.  About the only ones I could see skipping are Glue Arrow and Net Arrow and even still I'd look to fit them in.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later

I've read most of this thread (so forgive me if I've missed something). But I've run the ITF with my Cold/Ice Def and think it's pretty prime. It brings about 34% def to all (except psi) and perma-Sleet + Ice Storm (+Blizzard when up). I've never felt that I had a stronger Defender. This is coming from someone who almost solely plays Defs. My Nature/Sonic and my Dark/Water are fantastic -- but this Cold/Ice just seems to edge them out. Just personal opinion ofc. 

Edited by Renatos1023
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global: @Renatos

Main Defenders on Everlasting:

Liza Frost - Lv.50 Cold/Ice; Tara Sonara - Lv.50 Nature/Sonic; Voice of Gaia - Lv.50 Sonic/Sonic; Tenebrous Tide - Lv.50 Dark/Water; Elloria Neutrina - Lv.50 Empathy/Radiation;

Hailblast - Lv.50 Storm/Storm; Elektra Cross - Lv.50 Electric/Electric; Agent Sureshot - Lv.50 Trick Arrow/Electric; Agent Blayze - Lv.46 Thermal/Fire; Twilight Servant - Lv.42 Time/Dark; Commander Trax - Lv.29 Traps/Beam Rifle

On 1/4/2023 at 3:32 PM, Mezmera said:

All the arrows are fantastic each in their own way.  About the only ones I could see skipping are Glue Arrow and Net Arrow and even still I'd look to fit them in.  

I usually skip Ice arrow, because I am not proc'ing as much as I was, with all the -resist my secondary is doing enough damage.

Note, entangling arrow, aka net arrow, is a -resist source after the re-vamp. For me that is mandatory.

Glue arrow like PGA is very underrated it has strong -recharge, -speed, and -fly which means nothing escapes except wolves. For wolves, there is Oil Slick.

I wrote up a 101 guide for Trick arrow. For folks looking to get started, there are bind suggestions for each power.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

I usually skip Ice arrow, because I am not proc'ing as much as I was, with all the -resist my secondary is doing enough damage.

All the various debuffs in Ice Arrow with all that -special plus the fact it procs well make this a hard one to skip.  It makes things like holds and all types of stuff better on target, I could never fathom not having this in my attack chain.  

I wouldn't skip any arrows but if I had to Net and Glue arrows are the ones I'd likely drop if I had to.  

Edited by Mezmera

I love my TA defender, but like others said, you pretty much want all the powers.  I wouldn't skip ice or net arrows due to the debuffs, and I find glue indispensable as well.  I recommend a secondary with fast-recharging powers as you won't be able to take many of them.  Also want to include something that can light your oil slick on fire.

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**