Ten Years Ago

Megajoule

15 hours ago, Zect said:

CoH player numbers had been stagnant the last few times they reported player numbers, hovering at under 300k active subs. The premium server was deader than dead (you probably don't even remember it existed). The expansion zones were a no man's land. In hindsight, the death of the game should have been obvious to anyone willing to see.

Yeah.  I remember every quarter people would pore over the NCSoft financials, note the dropping number of players...  "It's right after Christmas, they'll be back when they're bored with their new toys."  "School just let out, they'll be back after the summer."  "School just started, they'll be back after they settle in"  Etc... etc..  Except they never did.  Quarter after quarter, the same story, the same steadily slipping numbers.  (IIRC, the numbers peaked about Issue 2ish, 3ish and slipped steadily thereafter.)

The data was always there for those willing to see.

Very, very few were willing.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Unless someone 'in the know' from NC Soft speaks we really wont have a clue what all the reasoning is/was for shuttering the game.

COH was always my fallback game. Play WOW a bit, get board go back to COH, play StarCraft a bit, go back to COH, etc. 

GW2 was the last cash I spent on NCSoft, I had already pre-ordered when I found out. I played it a bit but wouldn't buy anything for cash. 

Now that I have had my game back I am willing to spend money on NCSoft again, so long as they allow COH to exist.

• Confused 1

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

On 11/8/2022 at 1:28 AM, Lyrium said:

Remember that they are the ones who killed it the first place

We have not forgotten. We simply choose to not be a bitter, empty, husk, ever seeking vengeance. Kinda sounds like Banished Pantheon doent it?

• Like 1

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

3 hours ago, Zep said:

We have not forgotten. We simply choose to not be a bitter, empty, husk, ever seeking vengeance. Kinda sounds like Banished Pantheon doent it?

It's not about being bitter, is only about not wanting to spend money in a game it may be dead in one year

1 hour ago, Lyrium said:

It's not about being bitter, is only about not wanting to spend money in a game it may be dead in one year

Or mutated out of all recognition. I think that, had NCsoft been able to figure out a way to do it that didn't immediately kill the game due to player exodus, we'd be paying for 'special' individual costume pieces on a character-by-character basis, usable once, so if we wanted the same piece in multiple costumes for a character, we'd have to hit up the cash shop for each one (at least, judging from the way they -- and the other Asian companies running MMOs -- run the cash shops in other games, where the point is to milk players fast before they tire of the game and move on). However, if they'd been able to do that, it's also likely that the game wouldn't have been shut down. Still, that feels like a "we had to destroy the game in order to save it" scenario.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later
4 hours ago, Snarky said:

Honestly I am still so angry over this “sunset” that every time the topic rises to the top of General a fresh wave of irritation sweeps over me.  

*Poke* Shutting off the servers
*Poke* Game "ended".
*POKE* NCSoft doesn't want to continue.
*POKE*

*POKE*

*POKE*

*POKE*

EvilGrinMiley.thumb.jpg.7481c4ca3a1679a4c86ea4744db03456.jpg

• Haha 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

7 hours ago, Snarky said:

Honestly I am still so angry over this “sunset” that every time the topic rises to the top of General a fresh wave of irritation sweeps over me.  

Sorry, not my intention.  More like "and we are still here, ten years later."

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Snarky said:

No worries.  Its just that some of us old vampires never forget a slight and never forgive a wrong.  BECAUSE WE SHOULDNT!

I thought it was elephants that had long memories, and ravens that never forgave. 

I'm CONFUSED!!

• Haha 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

14 hours ago, Snarky said:

It is okay to still be upset 10 years later. #feelingsmatter. 

Now let me hug you, dont pull away, Snarky. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Currently on fire.

36 minutes ago, DreadShinobi said:

It is okay to still be upset 10 years later. #feelingsmatter. 

Now let me hug you, dont pull away, Snarky. 

Hey!  HEY!  Stop humping his leg like that!

😠

• Haha 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Hmmm.   I think i will break out of the zig with a Brute.  How it all began for me…

Actually this does remind me that I like make namesake alts on my birthday...

Last year was 40, and I even did one with a special name to commemorate.  Then I ended up disliking it, so this year I can be 40 again, right?

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Like 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

15 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

The 30th is my birthday, so, mark down ten years since the worst birthday "present" ever? 😕

Moi auci. I plan to celebrate my BD and get on line to play, rejoicing that in the super hero/villain/whatever world, death is rarely permanent. Even whole worlds can come back.

level.jpg

• Like 2

Wont lie I cried when i first saw this video but i was awed and cried more when it hit me how prophetic it was

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?