Brutes are great! Have a favorite?

FUBARczar

Brutes are generally great!  They are in a fairly good place, but this is not the thread for that.... But I digress....

Please help inspire me and other players with your favorite pairings.

Personally I have a fair number of brutes, but not all that diverse when it comes to sets, both primary and secondary.  My most commonly used sets with their pairings are:

Primary 

Rad/ SR, Fire, Elec

SS/ Bio, Fire

EM / Bio, Fire (want to make EA)

Psi/ Fire, Bio, 

WM/ SD, EA

Spines/Fire

MA/ Regen 

KM/ Rad

Fiery Aura isn't just for farming, and it truly is one of the best sets.

How about you?

And I really want another Energy Armor but what should I pair it with?

• Like 2

Call me crazy, but I like my Rad/Fire even outside of Farms.  Staff/Regen... not so much.

ETA: forgot about Rad/Bio, also fun.  Oh, and SS/Energy.  And TW/Fire is still a roller, even after every update gets done kicking it square in the bundle.

Edited by roleki
  • Thumbs Up 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

Current list, and I do have a large number of tankers & scrappers for some of the other combos or just to see

Electricity/Electricity

First brute on live and recreated.  I don't play them near enough.
Kinetic Melee/Energy Aura Another reroll, if you can get past KM, fun build
Savage Melee/Bio Armor I'm just not into Savage Melee
Street Justice/Willpower Fun combo, though I play the tanker version more
Martial Arts/Willpower Prefer SJ
Staff/Bio So many different stances....
Radiation/Radiation Experiment.   I'm just not into Rad Melee
Battle Axe/Regeneration Another experiment, and Regen is still quite gimped IMO
Energy Melee/Bio This combo worked really well.  Solo'd this one up to 50
Claws/Dark Armor More of a fun concept character and with DA needs better end management.   But Bubblegum Beast does look like a wad of chewing gum
Claws/Fiery Aura One of my farmers, but been playing it outside AE a lot lately.  (I'm a fan of claws)
Spines/Fiery Aura The main farmer, but fun outside of it.
Spines/Stone Armor Haven't played with it enough

• Thumbs Up 1

I may be one of the only people in existence with a Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute and she's one of my favorite vigilantes to play.

Spoiler

Throneblade1.jpg

Edited by Frostbiter
Found a pic.
  • Like 5

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

I love my Fire Melee/RadA brute. I find the safety of RadA a little dull in a way? So being able to build for damage is fun.

The first brute I ever did always has a place in heart: DM/FA. I thought the graphics for Fiery Aura looked so different on a brute to how they looked on a tank - one felt like a furnace and the other felt like a crackling campfire - that it made me love it. The animation for Siphon is one of my faves. I’ve thought about rebuilding but I don’t wanna ruin what I remember of it. He was probably rubbish by today’s standards, but I have a distinct memory of running around St Martial - specially versus the wailers and freaks - in a team and it feeling great.

• Like 1

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

My Brute is SS/Will. He also has Mighty Leap, and I use Takeoff as a second Foot Stomp. Between the KB>KD IO in Hand Clap and Foot Stomp and Takeoff I'm just constantly juggling the mobs. I'm sure it's not the most effective attack chain ever, but it sure is hilarious fun!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Stone/Rad for me. Easy going while leveling with nearly everything being deflected. I vaguely recall 40%-ish defence by level 22 (defence amp running).

7 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

No dark melee? For shame.  My dark melee/energy aura scrapper was amazing (and crazy sturdy/tanky).  Can't imagine it wouldn't be great on a brute too and even sturdier with their extra hps.

I know right...  On live I at least had a Dark/Stone.

Dark/EA would make a healthy, robust combo

On 9/3/2022 at 5:07 AM, Sovera said:

Stone/Rad for me. Easy going while leveling with nearly everything being deflected. I vaguely recall 40%-ish defence by level 22 (defence amp running).

So Rad melee?

I wish Stone (and Ice, at least) had decision trees/choices. In this case for the T9.  I'd rather have Geode and Icy Bastion for their respective sets.

Edited by FUBARczar
Typo

6 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Spreadsheet says I have 8 brutes. BZB brute is fun on teams (claws/sr, of course.) Static Zing is my MA/Elec and I enjoy her whenever I play her. The other 6 will probably never be finished.

So which AT had the best Claws experience?

I have a Claws/Bio Scapper and  a Claws/SR Tanker, but no Brutes .

10 hours ago, FUBARczar said:

And I really want another Energy Armor but what should I pair it with?

I missed this part, at some point I would suggest EM/EnA for unparalleled combination durability and ST dmg output. It is giddy fun to watch hard targets melt. EnA works well with EM on any AT.

I also have a Kat/EnA that is fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

I missed this part, at some point I would suggest EM/EnA for unparalleled combination durability and ST dmg output. It is giddy fun to watch hard targets melt. EnA works well with EM on any AT.

I also have a Kat/EnA that is fun.

If I consider having a main it would be my Fire Armor/EM. What a combo of ST and AoE.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FUBARczar said:

Dark/EA would make a healthy, robust combo

I had one on live (before they added the heal or the +def to Energy Drain) and it was a lot of fun. 

My current favorite is Stone/Elec. It's an absolute beast.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

For me, I have really enjoyed leveling spines/fire and SS/fire. Of the two, I think the proc potential of SS in Foot Stomp and haymaker overcame the rage crash easily enough, and it was a faster leveling process. Part of that is because footstomp knocks 'em down, mitigating incoming damage so I could tackle higher level foes. 

I did try SS/Dark - it was, of course, good in the lower levels, but getting to 38 wasn't as smooth for me as fire. 

I have an SS/Bio brute...it's very good, very effective through the entire leveling process. Bio's adapative selection - offensive,  with Rage is quite complimentary. I think SS is my preferred primary on the brute. And it's really hard to dismiss fire as the secondary. 

My biggest issue, however, is boosted ranged and AoE defense, without sacrificing S/L resistance. Fire's just not that great for that, and I do miss the lack of defense debuff resistance. 

And..another thing...I'm always reluctant to take a fire brute into iTrials other than BAF or Lambda. Granted, Healing flames is up in 6 seconds, so no real concern, but occasionally, without timely inspiration use, bad things happen, and that's a message to me that I need to focus more on durability, less on dps. Or run with 2 builds, which I'd prefer not to do. I hate that waiting for the longer recharge powers. 

At 50, I have my stable of:

Ditch Digger (Battle Axe/Shield)

Maytag Repairman (Battle Axe/Electric Armor)

Kimyata (Broadsword/Bio Armor)

Jingo Updog Esquire (Broadsword/Regeneration)

Ms. Spaceman (Ice Melee/Dark Armor)

Gideon the Ninth (Katana/Dark Armor)

Defcon Zer0 (Radiation Melee/Bio Armor)

Granny Weatherwax (Staff/Bio Armor)

Hellion Keller (Staff/Fiery Aura)

Staff Sergeant (Staff/Regeration)

Minion Zero (War Mace/Willpower)

They are all overpowered, but Defcon Zer0 is ridiculously so.  I tend not to play brutes so much anymore since they are so much easier than scrappers in my opinion.  Don't get me started on tankers.  My favorite to play is probably Jingo Updog Esquire, because he is constantly franticly running around mashing buttons and he's got a fun costume and backstory.

• Like 2

Who run Bartertown?