Supergroups: What are the benefits?

ArtGravity

First of all, I want to say that is not my intention in any way shape or form to be a troll. In fact, the opposite.

Back during Live I had joined supergroups now and then. I even ran one once (found I don't like being in charge).

My question is this, besides the wonderful social element of Supergroups, is there another reason to be in an SG?

Thank you in advance for your responses, and feel free to contact me in-game as well.

@ArtGravity

You get a base, which in this current version could mean a social gathering spot (I avoid the ERP sex dungeons), a storage facility for enhancement tables, a place for friends, or a way to show off your creative talent.

In my case my 3 bases are large rooms with enhancement tables for all my io's.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

All of my characters are in a single SG that was only shared with my RL brother, but he no longer plays. We're coalitioned with the dual-SG I hang out with. Our coalition mom even redid my personal base (a standard magic 4 walls a floor and a roof thing) to turn it into a Hellscape. It's a situation that has worked out quite well for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, The_Warpact said:

(I avoid the ERP sex dungeons)

That's not what I heard.

• Haha 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Having a personal Super Group is a huge benefit through have a Supergroup Base. For one low low price of a little time spent and visiting City Hall you and all your can alts get:

Salvage, Inspiration, and Enhancement Storage

Access to Zone Teleporters

A second Place to respawn that has all your stuff it in.

Trainers, Enhancement Vendors, Nurses, Tailors, and Field Trainers

Buff Stations

Ouroboros Crystal

Mission Computer (You can run all Tip missions that you have unlocked)

534df9e79190d5fa02e24e08b382fe68--billy-

If you like that sort of thing you can decorate the whole thing. Mine has a snackbar, rec rooms, and a mini-theater.

• Thumbs Up 3

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Reasons to have a SG:

- RP. Whether it's your house, a base, a temple, a firepit, you have a setting.

- Solo - Convenience. Store your rare salvage, have a crafter to memorize and cheaply build a bunch of recipes (and since they're probably 50 and accumulating otherwise-unused catalysts... catalyzing appropriate IOs.) And of course travel. Buff stations. Nurses, tailors, candlestick makers, trainers, all in a nice one stop shop.

- Team - Same thing. It's a nice central hub.

• Thumbs Up 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I was a base builder on live and have continued that here. I have most of my toons in my main SG. That SG has a base I spent a few months on. Since then, I've built a few more and have a few solo-toon SGs and another with only mutants. 

I have SGs for storage, convenient travel, and a creative outlet. If I need to team I'll start a team or join another. 

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, ArtGravity said:

First of all, I want to say that is not my intention in any way shape or form to be a troll. In fact, the opposite.

Back during Live I had joined supergroups now and then. I even ran one once (found I don't like being in charge).

My question is this, besides the wonderful social element of Supergroups, is there another reason to be in an SG?

Thank you in advance for your responses, and feel free to contact me in-game as well.

@ArtGravity

Back on live i joined a “chat channel” that i ran with nearly non stop.  Brickhouse on  Virtue.  Was very good.  Great teams.  That is the benefit of a SG, besides the social aspect you mentioned.  Now I run with Cosmic Council SG. (On Excelsior) They host very regular events, have a solid Discord presence during evening hours, and host an every Saturday Incarnate Trial badge event starting at 6pm eastern.  Lot of good badgers and really great people

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Back in live I was a member of a SG called The Dream Team.

I had lots of fun.

Sadly with how they have it set up now the benifits of an SG just arent there.

Solo sure.

I enjoy being able to keep all my stuff in an area with my own orginization system. access my own alts to sell extra stuff that my main cant hold, build when I see fit and teleport anywhere I want. *granted I have almost every zone unlocked with LRT.

But being in an SG with others means ya got drama, inactives *shiver*, and you can't really have a section to yourself.

Just not worth it imo.

And any sg that Ive seen are almost all inactive. least on my server.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I am a Solo SG owner and my thoughts on this are that playing with "Randoms and PUGs" are okay, plus having the SG Base storage is always a bonus. It's all about what makes you the player, happy with your game. Play as you want, not what others' want. Just a side note, supergroups should never take up your time completely, if you find one that gives you a balance that fits you, your time zone, and real life needs etc.; then you'll be golden!

• Thumbs Up 1

- "Lost my mind, went looking for it, now I'm lost too..."

I am on Excelsior - @The Game Changer - I am active (7am Eastern / 5pm Eastern)  

I wish there was *some* benefit to playing in SG mode, but apart from storage, etc. as mentioned above, having a Rez point right next to an insp chest and a buff station (to help me avoid dying the same way twice) have been invaluable to me!

(And then if you leave via the base entrance, you often zone in at the mish door. Priceless!)

I do wish there was a way to make certain things usable by PUG members and such.

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 9/6/2022 at 7:11 PM, ArtGravity said:

The most obvious reason is that you can't build a base without being in a supergroup.

Sure you can access other people's bases but you can build in someone else's base. Heck most of the time you can't build in a base if you are part of supergroup someone else started.

If you build your own base, you set up the rules for who has access to what storage. You set up the base to fit your own logic and aesthetic taste.

On 9/6/2022 at 7:11 PM, ArtGravity said:

besides the wonderful social element of Supergroups

Which honestly became a bit outmoded with the invention of global channels that allow "supergroups" to span more supergroups than can fit into coalition or even a single server.

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I'm still waiting for the day when Bases can be turned into active live "zones" with enemy mobs wandering around and linkable mission doors to AE content.

#offtopicthreadjack

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

I'm still waiting for the day when Bases can be turned into active live "zones" with enemy mobs wandering around and linkable mission doors to AE content.

#offtopicthreadjack

As I understand it you can't link an instance from inside an instance.

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.

So, just my opinions:

Pros: you have a decent change of interacting with people that you might enjoy spending some time with over discord. 

Seems like most SGs are using discord as a tool to coordinate harder content, or just crack jokes, or mock people they don't like, or better yet, mock people they do like. 
Anecdotally, as @Snarky can attest, I am frequently told I'm mispronouncing words and my jokes are not funny. 

Cons: 
If you're not the leader, you're subject to the rules put in place by the leader. Sometimes, the SG is organized enough to share these rules prior, and you agree to them before joining. 

But sometimes, there's a rule that's just stupid and you don't want to follow it. 

If your character is in an sg, odds are you might use that base to craft, store, or travel from zone to zone. Or maybe even use an icon npc to change a costume. 
But - not all SGs are going to have the same attention to detail. Some SGs spend hours & hours making elaborate bases, but lose points on efficiency.  Suddenly your fps drops to single digits because of all the extra junk they have in there. And you have to travel 200 yards to a teleporter, passing through a labyrinth to get where you want to go. 

You might be doing a respec, stash some stuff in an SG storage bin, only to find out that you have privileges to put stuff in, but not take stuff out. As shown below: 
image.png.85a6c5364c36cc6cb4ab802cce345cb7.png

That's my own SG base, by the way, and I just edited that setting to show it could be done, not that I've ever come across anything like that. 

In some SGs, one I know for certain, they allow you to take whatever you want, once you've been a member for a month. Other members routinely drop off hami-Os, purples, super inspirations and ambrosia or Essence of the Earth, depending on what events are scheduled in the coming week. 

But - now, we have global channels, like the Task Force Junkies. If you can make your own base, going with an SG is something you would do for the social aspect and the scheduled events. Beyond that, with a channel like TFJ, you don't really need an SG. There's more people using TFJ than in any SG, because most folks are members of TFJ and members or different SGs. They are in general, a speedy bunch, with a number of players who have a keen understanding of game mechanics, and how to get the most out of a build. 

There used to be a time when being a member of a given SG meant something. Like these guys are speed-runners, these folks are into RP, those guys over there are more into iTrials than anything else, that group likes pvp. 

Nowadays, it seems like an SG will take anyone, which basically means your sg is just a pug group. But, I guess once you team together a few times, you can iron out certain wrinkles so the pugness of the experience isn't that bad. 

• Thumbs Up 2