Is there a way to launch Homecoming from the Steam Client?

Krimson

Just as it says. I am not trying to replace the Launcher since it's needed for updates, but just adding the game to Steam does not work. 

Here's my reason. Yesterday I replaced my router. Using Big Picture, I can now cast Steam games to my TV and Tablet. I would like to be able to do the same with City of Heroes. So I am wondering if there is a way to make Steam work as a launcher, but of course not an updater. 

Smashing/Lethal Farmer and a Giant Monster Hunter on Excelsior

Monster Hunters: Blue Idoru (Main, Elec/Kin Corruptor), Kurodoru (Dark/Dark Brute), Canadian Content (Rad/Atom Blaster)

Try Arc IDs: 44869 "The Orb" - Smashing/Lethal Farm on the Troll Cave map with 99 mobs, all patrols.  45166 "Hail The Orb" - Smashing/Lethal Farm on the Dreck Freakshow map with 151 mobs, 61 Elite Bosses

Farmers: Freak Out (Rad/Fire Brute, Fire Farmer), Dara Kill (Dark/Spines Tanker, S/L Farmer), Freak Fire (Fire/Rad Tanker, Farm Everything), Blue Idoru (Main, Elec/Kin Corr, Farm Anything), Spidoru (Crabbermind, Farm Anything), various other fighters and support.

I’m pretty sure the Launcher is required for the game. This means the Steam Client can’t be used to launch the game. I believe you can add the game to Steam but you still can’t launch it from there. That is if I’m remembering correctly.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

49 minutes ago, Arc-Mage said:

I’m pretty sure the Launcher is required for the game. This means the Steam Client can’t be used to launch the game. I believe you can add the game to Steam but you still can’t launch it from there. That is if I’m remembering correctly.

That's pretty in line with my experience. I was just hoping there might be a way to do it since Steam Link is a pretty smooth experience. I might have to find a way to mirror my screen to my TV. For some reason Windows 10 is not letting me to it. Oh well. Maybe there's another app I can use. 

Monster Hunters: Blue Idoru (Main, Elec/Kin Corruptor), Kurodoru (Dark/Dark Brute), Canadian Content (Rad/Atom Blaster)

Try Arc IDs: 44869 "The Orb" - Smashing/Lethal Farm on the Troll Cave map with 99 mobs, all patrols.  45166 "Hail The Orb" - Smashing/Lethal Farm on the Dreck Freakshow map with 151 mobs, 61 Elite Bosses

Farmers: Freak Out (Rad/Fire Brute, Fire Farmer), Dara Kill (Dark/Spines Tanker, S/L Farmer), Freak Fire (Fire/Rad Tanker, Farm Everything), Blue Idoru (Main, Elec/Kin Corr, Farm Anything), Spidoru (Crabbermind, Farm Anything), various other fighters and support.

I just did it the old fashioned way, called a 20ft HDMI Cable from the 2nd out on my Video Card. It is connected to the TV with the output on the card set to Duplicate Monitor Mode.

Works fine, but you have to have your PC within pretty close range or it would be impractical.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

if money is not a factor ive seen hdmi remote connections, kinda like w-lan, maybe this would be an option?

Well at least for the Signal... still pc would need to be in some range for remote keyboard /mouse.

sorry that it is in german, but im sure you will find it in your amazon too https://www.amazon.de/Hdmi-Wireless-Transmitter-And-Receiver/s?k=Hdmi+Wireless+Transmitter+And+Receiver

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

IDK if it helps, but can't you (on windows at least) run the file directly?

Not on my WIn machine, but the path inside the Mac ver has ~\coh\bin\win64\live\cityofheroes.exe

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

The Homecoming launcher is only required to update the game. After it's up to date you can run the game independently of the launcher. How to do this:

1) Launch the game from the launcher

2) Log into the game, a shard and a character

3) Open Task Manager

3.a) If you can not see "Command Line" right now in the "Processes" tab right click "Name" and select "Command Line"

4) Write down the information you see in "Command Line" exactly as shown excluding "cityofheroes.exe"

4.a) Put it some where like a txt file for easy copying

4.b) It will look something like this -profile live -auth 51.161.76.201 -assetpath assets/issue24;assets/live

5) In steam go to Games > Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library and add City of Heroes

5.a) The path to this is \Homecoming\bin\win64\live\cityofheroes.exe

6) In your Steam Library right click your new shortcut and go to "Properties"

7) At the bottom of properties paste the "Command Line" text you saved form earlier into "Launch Options" (less the cityofheroes.exe portion)

If you did everything correctly you can now launch City of Heroes from Steam. When Homecoming comes out with a new update you will need to run the launcher and update the game. Then you can close the launcher and launch from steam again. Enjoy!

Edited by Vileynye

4 hours ago, Vileynye said:

The Homecoming launcher is only required to update the game. After it's up to date you can run the game independently of the launcher. How to do this:

1) Launch the game from the launcher

2) Log into the game, a shard and a character

3) Open Task Manager

3.a) If you can not see "Command Line" right now in the "Processes" tab right click "Name" and select "Command Line"

4) Write down the information you see in "Command Line" exactly as shown somewhere easy to copy later. (Like a txt file)

4.a) It will look something like this -profile live -auth 51.161.76.201 -assetpath assets/issue24;assets/live

5) In steam go to Games > Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library and add City of Heroes

5.a) The path to this is \Homecoming\bin\win64\live\cityofheroes.exe

6) In your library right click your new shortcut and go to "Properties"

7) At the bottom of properties paste the "Command Line" text you saved form earlier into "Launch Options"

If you did everything correctly you can now launch City of Heroes from Steam. When Homecoming comes out with a new update you will need to run the launcher and update the game. Then you can close the launcher and launch from steam again. Enjoy!

This is definitely the information that I am looking for, but unfortunately it does not work. Following your instructions exactly and I still get the error that Homecoming needs to be launched from the launcher. 

2 hours ago, Krimson said:

This is definitely the information that I am looking for, but unfortunately it does not work. Following your instructions exactly and I still get the error that Homecoming needs to be launched from the launcher. 

I think I see the problem in my instructions. Are you including cityofheroes.exe in the launch options? I didn't notice that part in my initial guide. You need just the launch parameters.

I have confirmed this working and steam overlay works just fine.

Task Manager.PNG

Launch Options.PNG

Playing.PNG

Edited by Vileynye