DP/Dark Corruptor Build

robopop

Back in the retail days, I had this concept for a character: a revenant gunfighter returned to dispense Old West justice in modern Paragon City. I rolled up Deadshooter as a Dark/DP defender, and he was my first Fifty. Now on Homecoming, he's a corruptor, and looking to push past fifty for the second time in his conceptual life.

So I'm tweaking his final build. My build back in the day featured soft-capped ranged defense, but I've recently found that one can make do (in normal content) with 32.5% defense, since even a small purple inspiration gets you to soft-cap, and I can get 32.5% in both ranged and melee. Furthermore, Dark can debuff to-hit like there's no tomorrow, so a mob only needs be affected by either his Fearsome Stare or Darkest Night, and that's effectively soft-cap as well. So I reworked the build to try proccing out his Hold powers, his Fearsome Stare, and his Fluffy. I've never tried a proc-focused build... I've always just pursued defense and recharge set bonuses. I'm curious whether people think this rework is effective, especially in terms of the proc-slotting.

My latest build is below, and I share for other people to use and to critique. It's a solo build... could probably work as a team build, but take Howling Twilight earlier in that case. I didn't use purple or winter sets because I didn't feel they added too much for the expense (I'm not poor, but I've got altitis as bad as most). I didn't bother with Incarnate powers, because other than fire farmers, I've never gotten far down the Incarnate path. Also, I took teleport for thematic reasons, but if you use the build, you'll probably be better served by the leadership or flying pools. The build is tuned for +2 level enemies (56% base chance to hit)... you'd need a bit more accuracy in the holds and Fearsome Stare if you wanted to play +4 difficulty. All that said, I'm curious to hear what people think of the build.

I should briefly lay out the battle plan, which is very controller-y in nature. Lay down a tar patch on a corner, pop a Luck, and pull the spawn around the corner (usually I use Bullet Rain to piss off a bunch of them). They'll bunch up at the corner because of the slow, then you pop around and hit them with Fearsome Stare (primarily for the to-hit debuff, but the fear is nice, too). Next, lay down Darkest Night on the most durable enemy, then run into the middle of the whole cowardly pack and cut loose with a Hail of Bullets, then a Bullet Rain, then pull back and Empty Clips. Most of the minions are dead or close at this point. Clean it up. If there are bosses, you can double-stack holds on them with Suppressive Fire and Petrifying Gaze (or the +2 mag hold might proc and snag them in one shot). Use Twilight Grasp to top up your hit points (and Fluffy's) as needed. Howling Twilight on the bosses to floor their regen. Pop a break-free if you get stunned (sorry that's nearly the only status protection). As inspirations pour in from the boodles of mobs you're dropping, combine them into purples and break-frees in about a 3:2 ratio. I find playing at x5 difficulty gives me enough inspirations for one luck per spawn and break-frees as needed.

Anyway, without further pontification and explication and reminiscence, the build. I hope you enjoy and offer whatever critique you think would be helpful. Thanks and have a heroic day!

Spoiler

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Deadshooter: Level 50 Magic Corruptor
Primary Power Set: Dual Pistols
Secondary Power Set: Dark Miasma
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Dark Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Dual Wield -- Thn-Dmg/Rchg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7)
Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- TchoftheN-Heal(A), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(7), TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(9), Heal-I(9)
Level 2: Empty Clips -- SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprScrBls-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprScrBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprScrBls-Rchg/+End(15)
Level 4: Tar Patch -- Slow-I(A), RechRdx-I(17)
Level 6: Teleport -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(50)
Level 8: Bullet Rain -- SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMlcoft-Rchg/Dmg%(19), SprMlcoft-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprMlcoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 10: Swap Ammo 
Level 12: Suppressive Fire -- Lck-Acc/Hold(A), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(23), Lck-%Hold(25), GldNet-Dam%(25), NrnSht-Dam%(27)
Level 14: Kick -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A)
Level 16: Shadow Fall -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(17), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(27), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(29), UnbGrd-ResDam(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 18: Executioner's Shot -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(31), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(33), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 20: Darkest Night -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(34)
Level 22: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-Max HP%(34), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(36), UnbGrd-ResDam(36)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(31), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37)
Level 26: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(37)
Level 28: Fearsome Stare -- GlmoftheA-Acc/Fear/Rchg(A), GlmoftheA-Dam%(50), CldSns-%Dam(50)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39), Rct-ResDam%(39)
Level 32: Hail of Bullets -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(39), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Obl-%Dam(42)
Level 35: Petrifying Gaze -- Lck-Acc/Hold(A), GldNet-Dam%(42), Lck-%Hold(42), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(48), NrnSht-Dam%(48)
Level 38: Dark Consumption -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(43)
Level 41: Dark Embrace -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(43), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(43), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 44: Dark Servant -- CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(45), TchoftheN-%Dam(46), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(46), CldSns-%Dam(46), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(48)
Level 47: Howling Twilight -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Combat Teleport -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Scourge 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(15)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 10: Chemical Ammunition 
Level 10: Cryo Ammunition 
Level 10: Incendiary Ammunition 
------------

Edited by robopop
Fixed issues with build display
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later

Deadshooter made 50, so I can now say this build worked out well. I took Soul Transfer instead of Combat Teleport, but otherwise, the final build was the same. The real stars were the two Lockdown +2 mag hold procs that went in Suppressive Fire and Petrifying Gaze. I used these powers mainly on bosses, and the procs frequently fired and held the boss in one shot (rather than needing to layer on both powers). That meant I had more time to shoot the boss while he was held, and I could more easily chain-CC him.

The battle plan outlined above worked very well. The build is extremely durable with a luck inspiration soft-capping the melee and ranged defenses. I had to tread more carefully without that +12.5% defense, because I was more easily damaged and more easily mezzed. If you use this build, definitely keep the lucks and the break-frees at the ready. Oh, and try to stand close to Fluffy... the free heals he fires off are nice.

• Thumbs Up 1