Got a new PC that runs the game worse than the decade old laptop I replaced, even though the specs seem well beyond what the game calls for

Just One Fix

Celeron N5105 running at 2 GHz

8GB RAM

Intel UHD Graphics (I know a dedicated video card is best but from what I've read it should be more than enough to run the game decently?)

Windows 11 Home

It's really bizarre too - for a few seconds, it'll run beautifully at 60 FPS. But most of the time, it runs so horribly that the FPS goes into single digits and it's chugging so bad that things like my mouse and menus lag 😞 I've tried tons of things, like turning the graphics all the way to rock bottom, which didn't help. When I Googled the problem I saw a lot of people saying VSync was causing terrible performance but turning it off also did nothing. I know this is probably a Hail Mary, but seeing as the game will run perfectly for a few seconds at a time, maybe there's some hope I just have a setting wrong or something?

Get a real graphics card. I'd bet real money that's the source of the problem. I know that this is an old game, but it still has effects that can't be done well by on the board graphics chips.

Also, Windows 11 sucks. There's nothing the Homecoming devs can do to fix that.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

City of Heroes uses OpenGL.  Unfortunately, OpenGL is ancient and has been replaced by Vulkan.  As a result, Intel and Microsoft no longer natively support OpenGL in Windows 10 nor 11.  Only AMD and Nvidia graphics cards drivers still support OpenGL.  That’s why your computer struggles with the game.  Even though it is old, it still requires a proper graphics card to run properly.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/15/2022 at 1:45 AM, Just One Fix said:

biostem, I love you. There's some graphical glitches but it runs 1000% better! THANK YOU!!!

It basically nixes any advanced shadow or other such effects.  What I do is find a nice middle ground of texture quality and antialiasing, tweak draw distance, and change the option to show player names to only on selection or mouse-over.  I will also remove that option for the initial character creation, so I can get a better look at what their costume will look like and to customize their powers.  Either way, I'm glad you are able to play the game more smoothly now!