rad/poison advice please

Gray Scale

I have this build

and it looks OK. I am concerned, though (generally) about a few things.

One is that this poison guide suggests that /poison corruptors don't work. Does anyone have an opinion on that?

Also, my build lacks a self heal and also lacks hold/mez/sleep prevention so I worry about having to wade into groups to make my pbaoe stuff effective.

The good news that in the low levels I'm enjoying playing this character. It's my first corruptor. I have a lot of experience with defenders (including a poison/sonic, which kicks ass btw), but corruptor feels different and this build has some holes.

Any advice is appreciated.  

/poison Corruptors are fine. I have a fire/poison that is probably in my top 20 toons of my 140 or so toons. Yes they don't get a self heal which is a bit alarming but once you get your debuffs laid on, you'll reduce incoming damage substantiality and a respite is usually good enough. I use clarion as having mez protection is important, especially using venomous gas, we want to stack that with our main target debuff, and the targets affected by splash debuffs from weaken and envenom.

5 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

/poison Corruptors are fine. I have a fire/poison that is probably in my top 20 toons of my 140 or so toons. Yes they don't get a self heal which is a bit alarming but once you get your debuffs laid on, you'll reduce incoming damage substantiality and a respite is usually good enough. I use clarion as having mez protection is important, especially using venomous gas, we want to stack that with our main target debuff, and the targets affected by splash debuffs from weaken and envenom.

Thanks the the advice. I'll definitely stick with the character and see how I go.  Any comments on the details of my build?

I went for teleport to get fold space, which means I avoided acrobatics - which makes me a bit nervous while levelling as I rely on it with a lot of characters.

4 hours ago, Gray Scale said:

Any comments on the details of my build?

Sure I'll bite. Looking at your advanced totals and set bonuses I don't really get what you're necessarily trying to accomplish here as I don't really see a focus on the IO slotting to really key in on any particular area. Some of your slotting choices are wasted ie. 3 slotted hasten, when you can use 2 and +5 them. Additionally you have some powers slotted with IO's and some slotted with SO's. Also Health is unslotted, most people will put at least 1 if not more healing procs into that power to increase efficiency in the toon.

My only logical assertation is that this is perhaps a live build that you had slotted with SO's and you've been replacing to IO's as you go so to speak.

On my fire/poison corruptor I built with a focus on a few things:

• Positional Defense ( I have melee at 45.05% and ranged at 40.99%) - given the nature of how envenom/weaken/venomous gas work, and that inferno is a pbaoe, I live in melee on this toon. I even took Oppressive Gloom to help mitigate incoming damage from minions as I wanted Soul Drain to increase my DPS.
  • Mez protection, because I live in melee and am using offensive toggles as a big part of my toon, mez protection was important so I went with Clarion, as if you get mezzed in melee and unable to operate things can go south very fast.

The toon is still end heavy as well in playing it, so depending on my team and if there is someone I can trust to keep a Clear Mind, Enforced Morale, etc. on me then I will swap Clarion to Ageless Radial for the refill and then DDR for myself and team.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Sure I'll bite...

Thanks for the advice. It's safe to say that I don't know what I'm doing most of the time when building so I have a lot to learn.  I'll poke around some existing poison builds and see how I can get my melee and ranged defences up that high. I've never managed to have a toon break 30% on those.

• Envenom requires accuracy. Slot Shield Breaker or Analyze Weakness.
  • Weaken requires accuracy. Slot Cloud Senses or Siphon Insight.
  • Not sure why you went with Power Mastery. Other than the +dmg, Power Build Up does very little for /Poison and the armor is S/L resist only. You would be better served by Scorpion Shield (Mace) or Charged Armor (Mu or Elec).
  • You've skipped the two +def uniques.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

1 hour ago, Gray Scale said:

Thanks for the advice. It's safe to say that I don't know what I'm doing most of the time when building so I have a lot to learn.  I'll poke around some existing poison builds and see how I can get my melee and ranged defences up that high. I've never managed to have a toon break 30% on those.

As @Uun said there's 2 unique resistance IO's that each give +3% defense a piece. Otherwise, there's typically IO choices you can pick in mids that give some type of defense. You can keep Advanced Totals screen open to watch your defense rating. Also a power like power build up will lie to you as it boosts defense for 10 seconds, but mids will show the value with it under the effect of the boost if you have the power toggled on in mids. If you have a power that boosts special, make sure to take that into consideration.

You don't always need super high defense, but it helps with survivability considering there's no self heal. That said if you solo or play on teams will affect your choices.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/18/2022 at 1:34 PM, SeraphimKensai said:

As @Uun said there's 2 unique resistance IO's that each give +3% defense a piece. Otherwise, there's typically IO choices you can pick in mids that give some type of defense. You can keep Advanced Totals screen open to watch your defense rating. Also a power like power build up will lie to you as it boosts defense for 10 seconds, but mids will show the value with it under the effect of the boost if you have the power toggled on in mids. If you have a power that boosts special, make sure to take that into consideration.

You don't always need super high defense, but it helps with survivability considering there's no self heal. That said if you solo or play on teams will affect your choices.

Thanks again @SeraphimKensai and @Uun. I've made a lot of changes and come up with this new build.

There are some things I did to get a few more bits of defense that I didn't want to do: like the slotting in Poison Trap with obliteration when I really wanted to put in damage procs.

Even with all that, my totals are around 30% melee and ranged def.  I've been working at it like a puzzle for ages and can't figure out how someone gets closer to 40% in those.

My guess is that the build I've attached will perform a lot better than my original build, and there are a number of enhancements I never would have found without your advice.

If you have an opinion on my changed build - or if I forgot something that might be useful, please let me know.  I didn't know what to do with the last few powers so I grabbed quality of life things and was able to squeeze in a few useful enhancements into elixir of life and power sink. I went with Mu in the end.

Venomous Gas will cover you on melee. For some reason it's not showing up in Mid's, but it gives you 14% -tohit which stacks with your melee defense.  Throw Envenom into the mix for another 10-20%. I would be more concerned about boosting ranged defense. I went with Scorpion Shield on my build and built for typed defense (I've got 40% to S/L/E before Venomous Gas or Envenom). None of these are major, but here's a few more tweaks:

• Drop Cross Punch and put the slots in X-Ray Beam. Move Superior Avalanche to Irradiate.
  • Slot Superior Malice of the Corruptor. If you split the set, you can get the 10% recharge bonus twice.
  • Replace Extreme Measures with Sting of the Manticore.
  • Replace Reactive Armor with Unbreakable Guard.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

2 minutes ago, Uun said:

Venomous Gas will cover you on melee. For some reason it's not showing up in Mid's, but it gives you 14% -tohit which stacks with your melee defense.  Throw Envenom into the mix for another 10-20%. I would be more concerned about boosting ranged defense. I went with Scorpion Shield on my build and built for typed defense (I've got 40% to S/L/E before Venomous Gas or Envenom). None of these are major, but here's a few more tweaks:

• Drop Cross Punch and put the slots in X-Ray Beam. Move Superior Avalanche to Irradiate.
  • Slot Superior Malice of the Corruptor. If you split the set, you can get the 10% recharge bonus twice.
  • Replace Extreme Measures with Sting of the Manticore.
  • Replace Reactive Armor with Unbreakable Guard.

All excellent tips thanks again @Uun!

1 hour ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Sadly I don't have access to Mids at work, so I'll check out your build when I have some time hopefully tonight. Working, have a newborn, have MMA practice tonight, and my team plays in MNF. If not tonight I should have a bit of time tomorrow to look at it.

Thanks @SeraphimKensai!  No rush of course. I appreciate your help.