Ice Control VS

WitchofDread

Prior to Page 4, Ice Control was the control set with the lowest damage. The only change that affects damage is that Ice Slick now does damage. The amount of damage it does is really low, so unless procs work in it, I would venture that Ice is still at the bottom.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Driving them around, P4 has been a mixed bag for my Ice controllers. 

Let me preface this by saying I use Flash Freeze in place of Glacier because while soloing, Flash Freeze might as well be Glacier only it's up more often, while in teams, nobody would notice an AoE hold if it fell out of the sky, landed on their face and started to wiggle, so why carry one around that's only up every 3rd mission or so?

All that said, Ice Slick was kind of a "cooldown" that I dropped while in melee after things started waking up from Flash Freeze, but now that Ice Slick breaks sleep I have to keep Slick in my pocket a little longer.  On THAT specific front, P4 has kind of changed the dance a bit, not good or bad, just, changed.

On the other end of the spectrum, I used Cold Snap (RIP Shiver) as an opener before Flash Freeze, then would close to melee and get to work.  I still do that, but I've seen a clear reduction in alpha with the new Fear effect in Cold Snap, so that is a change that has been very useful to ME.

The added damage in Ice Slick should be great for MSRs, where you get merits against any Rikti you damaged that eventually dies.  It's probably a decent proc mule with that long recharge, but I'm not into that stuff these days.

On the whole, I think Ice gets a bad rap because people tend to only think of a set in terms of what kind of orange numbers it produces; nevermind that BEFORE P4 Ice was one of the most effective control sets, what with all the -SPD, -Rech, Confuse, KD, Immob, Sleep, and Holds.  Adding Fear to the party has just made it that much better.

The damage in Ice Slick is nice to chip away at minions and, in theory, should lead to an uptick in VMs awarded in an MSR, but it still lags behind other sets in orange numbers, which, I am FINE with because in practice, I feel much more like a 'Controller' when I am running an Ice/xx than I do running most anything else.

• Thumbs Up 5

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

• 2 weeks later
On 9/20/2022 at 11:05 AM, Uun said:

Prior to Page 4, Ice Control was the control set with the lowest damage. The only change that affects damage is that Ice Slick now does damage. The amount of damage it does is really low, so unless procs work in it, I would venture that Ice is still at the bottom.

Guessing I'd want to test it first.  It's based off pseudopets.  It can take a number of procs but at least 2 pertain to knock effects and 1 is a resistance debuff.  IIRC the other 3 are damage procs (Fire, Energy, Lethal).  Base damage is less than 1.

i did some messing around on the test server with this. 

I loaded ice slick up with 3 procs, they would sometimes fire upon casting but not always, but then i didnt even notice any damage from ice slick. I had a interface power slotted that constantly ticked 1 dmg every sec but that was it. 

Cold snap on the other hand worked really well. Again i added 3 procs (i think) and with the arc of the cone i would always manage to hit a significant amount of enemies. The only problem with this power is that it doesn't synergise much with the rest of the set. Works well as an opener that's it really. 

Arctic air is a bit odd as it takes a few secs for the effect to take hold so it can be a bit dicey!

• Thumbs Up 2