is /elec only good with the elec primary?

Jawbreaker

Short answer is nope.

It's obviously thematic to have similar powers for your primary and secondary, plus having the same power in both usually proves complementary. But Elec/ works well with all the others. You might even go so far that it goes very well with /dark. /Dark is quite end hungry and elec/ has the option to end drain... isn't nicer if you're not just the only one sucking wind and instead share the end drain with everyone?

On a slightly more serious note, you can definitely pick any secondary that fits your fancy and pair it with elec/. My personal favourites from sentinel secondaries are Ninjitsu, SR and Bio. Thematically they still work (a mystically powered Raiden devotee, a member of the Allens or Wests, or some bio engineering gone horribly wrong or horribly right).

14 hours ago, Six-Six said:

Short answer is nope.

It's obviously thematic to have similar powers for your primary and secondary, plus having the same power in both usually proves complementary. But Elec/ works well with all the others. You might even go so far that it goes very well with /dark. /Dark is quite end hungry and elec/ has the option to end drain... isn't nicer if you're not just the only one sucking wind and instead share the end drain with everyone?

On a slightly more serious note, you can definitely pick any secondary that fits your fancy and pair it with elec/. My personal favourites from sentinel secondaries are Ninjitsu, SR and Bio. Thematically they still work (a mystically powered Raiden devotee, a member of the Allens or Wests, or some bio engineering gone horribly wrong or horribly right).

Yeah I know the primary elec is good, was wondering more about the secondary as I don't see it used much without the elec primary

Ask me about my City Of Heroes patch problem https://levelzeroems.com/search?q=City of Heroes

7 hours ago, Jawbreaker said:

I know the primary elec is good, was wondering more about the secondary

Sounds like a good experiment.

Let us know how it turns out.

I haven't made one, because I haven't had a character conception that made me want to make one ..... yet ...

.... oh, wait ... I do have an electric/electric sentinel ... I just don't have a non-electric/electric Sentinel ....

Edited by UltraAlt
Duh, was looking for a non-electric/electric sentinel on my spread sheet

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

So my main qualm with the set is the whole grounded mechanic. I tend to Hoverblast, so being tethered to the ground is unappealing to me. Aside from that, it isn't a bad set. A synergy that may eventually pop up will be with Seismic Blast, if it ever gets ported, which also has mechanics that requires that you be on the ground. I don't necessarily think it'd be enough to get me to use it, but we'll have to see.

Sentinels actually have a stronger version of Electric Armor as you lose the damage aura for a +max end and +regen toggle.  Also, AFAIK, the Grounded effect gives you the +res no matter what, it is only the Immobilize and Knockback protection that disappears when you're in the air.  Given that most Immobilizes already give you -fly, and the worst Knockdown effects only happen on the ground, I think you're pretty good using Hover and Fly.

The main reason not to take Electric Armor on any AT is because it is a wholly a resistance set without a decent heal to offset the chip damage.  Energize heals the same as Regen's Reconstruction but with a twice as long recharge and a half as short duration.  However, Sentinel Energize is now 90s recharge (instead of 120) and its 100% Regen buff is complimented by Charged Shield's 150% regen toggle buff.  And Charged Shield is equal the same amount of Regen that is in Regen's Integration power. Mids seems to be a big bugged with Energize (it's not letting me turn it on, but show the End Discount automatically?} but Energize and Charged Shield sit at 250% Regen, Fast Healing and Intergration at 225% Regen, and 150% from Hardened Carapace and Ablative Carapace (in Bio Armor.  With enough targets Parasitic Leech actually trumps both Elec and Regen in total regen%)

So really, there's no reason not to take Electric Armor on a Sent.  I would guess people don't do it because it's not a great armor on other sets, but that's not the case here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have a 50 Dark/Elec sentinel and it works really well.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

On 9/26/2022 at 2:42 AM, Jawbreaker said:

Just starting out with Sentinels and I've noticed that just about every mention of /elec involves the elec primary. Does it not work well with other primaries?  If not, what other primaries work well with it?

Thematic pairings are very popular conceptual implementations for a lot of Sentinel players (backed up by the older metrics on Fire/Fire, Ice/Ice, Elec/Elec, etc.). 

These pairings have very little to do with any real or perceived synergies or general effectiveness of the primary with the secondary. 

In other words, don't over think this because the reasons why people do what they do isn't always about power gaming. 

Edited by oldskool
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Outside of theme, Power Sink + Short Circuit is a good way to drain a mob so there is synergy in the pairing as well.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I main an Elec/Elec/Mu Sentinel, /Elec is basically SR, but resistance based, you get the free travel/recharge passive, Power sink + Elec attacks lets you totally nuke groups endurance So most enemies can't even attack you, and Mu gives you AOE to go with wanting to be close (For sink/short) in the form of thunderstrike.

In short, it's a thematic combo that can tear through most content without too much trouble

Oh, and you get a self-heal that doubles as an end cost reducer, so you can basically attack forever.

/Elec is good with anything, to the level that i can take my Ele/Ele/Mu build, and replace Elec/ with literally any other primary and the build still works basically the same. You just trade the end drain for Whatever gimmick the primary has.

Edited by Zerethon
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 10:59 PM, moobiman said:

I was playing around with mids earlier and ice armor looks like it has some good synergy with end drain in elec primary. You will need to be in melee more though as that power has a range of 8. You also get mez protection by lvl 4

Yep, if you're wanting to go Def over Res, Ice is just as mean in a lot of ways as /elec, little trickier to build as you need to work in a Travel power and whatnot, but you can also get the usual suite of perks from def IO sets really easy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1