Jump to content

Help me understand Hot Feet...


biostem

Recommended Posts

So I rolled up a fire/cold controller recently, and have been steadily leveling them up.  I've played controllers before, but one thing that perplexes me is Hot Feet.  Is it meant to be a sort of "area denial" power, keeping enemies from entering melee range?  Is there some other use for this power that I'm not aware of?  Thank you for your insight!

Edited by biostem
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, biostem said:

So I rolled up a fire/cold controller recently, and have been steadily leveling them up.  I've played controllers before, but one thing that perplexes me is Hot Feet.  Is it meant to be a sort of "area denial" power, keeping enemies from entering melee range?  Is there some other use for this power that I'm not aware of?  Thank you for your insight!

 

You can use it that way, but I think most eventually try to use it for damage.  It does pretty good aoe damage when combined with fire cages to keep them contained and cooking.  Assuming you can survive being in melee of course.  /cold might be a bit tougher of a combo.  The classic fire/rad had choking cloud working in synergy, even fire/kinetics had spamming the heal to help survive.  I've heard fire/dark is just a flat out tank so it can do it. 

 

But with the right IO build /cold is probably doable.  Bonfire (with kb to kd IO) can potentially help later as well and add even more damage.   

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got a Fire/Nature and run Hot Feet together with Entangling Aura. Anything that comes into melee range gets held and cooked.

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Link to comment
Share on other sites

/Cold would have slow movement to keep them tight, though not quite as tight as immobilized or held.  Plus Avoid  in Sleet and Afraid in Hotfeet leaving them to try in slo-mo to run away as they get burnt to a crisp (Sleet, Snow Storm and Heat Loss).  Slotting that I've seen used back on Live was Microfilament Exposure HOs to max the slow and endred.  Then cap the damage (all in potentially 4 slots) with lvl 53 HOs and +5 boosting these days (and/or Armageddon IOs)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2022 at 10:35 PM, biostem said:

So I rolled up a fire/cold controller recently, and have been steadily leveling them up.  I've played controllers before, but one thing that perplexes me is Hot Feet.  Is it meant to be a sort of "area denial" power, keeping enemies from entering melee range?  Is there some other use for this power that I'm not aware of?  Thank you for your insight!

Keep in mind too, that it's only mag 3 fear. Really wish (like caltrops but toggle) it was at least mag 4 fear so you could more effectivley use it as the denial power, especially on blasters.

 

But on a controller, you have flashfire anyway to keep min/lts contained so the denail mostly means nothing on a controller/dom.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

And remember unlike Blasters you've got 3 crazed fire monkeys chewing on things too (or will).

They really end up doing extremely little. They're flimsy as hell, and really need to be given a 2nd attack.

 

Overall,  I LOVED when you could have 20 of them, but since the change I find them to actually be one of the worst pets overall now with just scorch only in their attacks.

 

It was also a lot different when you could reduce their recharge, but now yeah...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

It was also a lot different when you could reduce their recharge, but now yeah...

You can't reduce the recharge on their attacks, but you can absolutely reduce the recharge on the resummon. They work better with a secondary that allows you to heal and/or buff them.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Uun said:

You can't reduce the recharge on their attacks, but you can absolutely reduce the recharge on the resummon. They work better with a secondary that allows you to heal and/or buff them.

Oh I know how to use and heal/buff them, debuff the mobs etc. Just saying with them only having scorch as an attack and being lower level than other pets means they actually kinda suck. The other pets all get some form of a control, better resists/more hp, and more attacks in general which usually means they can actually do more damage than the imps combined, and they get flung all over super easy as well.

 

They easily need another attack. Flares would make the most sense and finally give them a ranged attack, but I can imagine fire/kin being annoyed. But one combo versus being better for all.. is fine.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

     True the little monkies are fragile and more than a touch of "shiney!" in their attention spans.  But 1) Cold can buff them with their shields (and Fog, IOs and/or Maneuvers), in short the can have substantial defense and 2) many of the same things helping the character (Avoid, slows and recharge debuffs) also help keep them upright a tad longer.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

     True the little monkies are fragile and more than a touch of "shiney!" in their attention spans.  But 1) Cold can buff them with their shields (and Fog, IOs and/or Maneuvers), in short the can have substantial defense and 2) many of the same things helping the character (Avoid, slows and recharge debuffs) also help keep them upright a tad longer.

Again, note the context,. It's not about, what set you pair with, that would help other pets too. The issue in question IS their base stability, and their lower damage due to their level issue, and only having scorch as their attack. Other pets do FAR more than imps including help controlling, slowing, debuffing etc, and in most cases do more damage too, and are sturdier, better resists/defense, and even mez protection on some.. Ever since what issue 5 when pets could only be one at a time, they've been needing a rework to compensate. Starting with ALL pets in game, should be even level (god esp MMs, but not going there in this thread lol).

 

Since ALL imps do is damage, no control, no debuff, they should at least do more of it, and that just isn't the case in most situations, especailly when all of these are factored in.

Edited by WindDemon21
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

Again, note the context,. It's not about, what set you pair with, that would help other pets too. The issue in question IS their base stability, and their lower damage due to their level issue, and only having scorch as their attack. Other pets do FAR more than imps including help controlling, slowing, debuffing etc, and in most cases do more damage too, and are sturdier, better resists/defense, and even mez protection on some.. Ever since what issue 5 when pets could only be one at a time, they've been needing a rework to compensate. Starting with ALL pets in game, should be even level (god esp MMs, but not going there in this thread lol).

 

Since ALL imps do is damage, no control, no debuff, they should at least do more of it, and that just isn't the case in most situations, especailly when all of these are factored in.

👍

     We're (I'm) talking about different things.  Buffing the pets and the merits of doing so is separate from understanding Hot Feet and how that might play out paired with Cold.

     Been a long time since I ran a Fire Controller.  Last one was a Fire/Sonic, part of a static team with friends of all Fire/Sonics ~issue 16-ish but /Cold should be a very strong with respect to Imp survival, probably as strong if not stronger than Force Fields due to the Avoid and debuffs as well as boosting their damage potential through resistance debuffs.  And yes all that would help Rocky just as much and he hits like a truck freight train but to truly compare you'd have to account for Fire damage vs Smashing and 3 Imps vs 1 Rocky damage output all else equal.  Been too long for me to know how lopsided that comparison would be personally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later

On my Fire/Storm controller I use Hotfeet for either area denial or good damage as needed.

 

Flashfire/fire cage/thunder clap stuns the group and holds them in place while tornado and lightning storm help with the cooking.

 

Keep in mind hotfeet accepts slow enhancements -- it wont stop a mob from running up and hitting you but it will take them a min to get to you then they turn around and run away because their feet hurt. Any kind of slow from /cold should get mobs to their min speed. Many groups are 1/2 to 3/4 cooked before the stuns from flashfire/thunderclap run out though. Containment is only 75% instead of 100% unless that got fixed at some point.

 

On live I had a fire/fire blaster (a true debt magnet) with hotfeet and it helped a lot with keeping mobs away from melee range.

Edited by Zep

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **


** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my experience, Ice Mistral's Torment in Hot Feet has been rather transformative; HF is basically just another damage aura, this one with some slow attached.  But if you enhance damage AND slow, now you've got something.  Doesn't hurt that the set bonuses are really decent, either.

  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, which is it, young feller?  You want I should freeze or get down on the ground?
If'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop.  And if'n I drop I'll be in motion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later
On 9/30/2022 at 9:56 AM, WindDemon21 said:

They really end up doing extremely little. They're flimsy as hell, and really need to be given a 2nd attack.

 

Overall,  I LOVED when you could have 20 of them, but since the change I find them to actually be one of the worst pets overall now with just scorch only in their attacks.

 

It was also a lot different when you could reduce their recharge, but now yeah...

  I agree with with you. I don’t understand why some pets are stronger over others. Fire Imps need to be looked at. All they do is die. I think they need more durability and damage. 
 

As for hot feet. I feel this powers could have its  endurance reduced. Controllers are not the biggest damage dealers. So they should not have these high endurance powers. 
 

just my opinion 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Area Denial"

In reality, it doesn't really work out.

HOWEVER, in prolonged combat, you'll find the majority of your damage will be done through...Hot Feet.
Toss in debuffs, various procs, etc, and that works out to a WHOPPING amount of damage.
 

  • Thanks 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later
On 7/23/2023 at 2:18 AM, Hyperstrike said:

"Area Denial"

In reality, it doesn't really work out.

HOWEVER, in prolonged combat, you'll find the majority of your damage will be done through...Hot Feet.
Toss in debuffs, various procs, etc, and that works out to a WHOPPING amount of damage.
 

     And with /Cold those Imps can become sturdy enough to not be not quite so fragile.  Feel free to abuse p2w Stun Grenades in combo with Flashfire and bosses will get stunned as well.  Sure that's 2 attacks (one with no acc or endred either) but sometimes until things might change to how you like or think you go with what works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fire control is for damage.

While the literal archetype is meant for support and control, Fire Control is meant to do damage.  Flashfire(start containment) (ATO set) > Fire Cages (posi or bombardment) > bonfire (bombardment 5/6 or epic taoe 5/6 + KB2KD) + Hot Feet (oblit 5/6 + 1 end redux) leads to a lot of small numbers stacking up

 

Since all control sets have a similar template you can use Fire Control just for controlling.  In that case there is not much use for Hot Feet as your Sleet will do it better

 

Alternative secondaries:

Trick Arrow - Oil Slick + Flash Arrow.  Flash Arrow and Smoke (4/6 dark watchers) is like -20% to -30% tohit depending on your level and slotting.  Oil Slick is just more dots dkp joke.  And yes, [power boost] effects flash and smoke.  Its been awhile since I did low level content on my fire/trick troller but trick and smoke added up to about 22%.  thats huge at low levels

Radiation - Choking Cloud blows all primary holds out of the water.  Choking Cloud + Your single hold generally holds bosses right off the bat.  Near constant Containment.  Also Radi Infection (3 enzyme hamis) + Smoke might take a little too long to setup its also kinda phased out by Choking Cloud.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...