*The* Anime Thread.

Spinning off from the Bofuri fan thread...

My top prospects for Fall 2022, in no particular order:

Encouragement of Climb: Next Summit
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury
My Hero Academia 6
Spy X Family: Part II

Bocci The Rock! shows promise after one ep, but I'm not ready to call it a contender yet.

Edited by Doc_Scorpion
  • Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

I'm most excited for AoT final final final season, Demon Slayer with its amazing visuals, My Hero Academia because it's a great super hero anime, and...

... I actually just might get around to watching Bleach for the first time, now that they've released their final season as well. 

Edit: Actually I've never seen The Mountain Climbing Girls, my bad!

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

• 2 weeks later

OK, I know exceedingly little about Anime. It's one genre of geekdom I never really got into. My son, however is becoming a fan and I signed up to Crunchyroll for him, which gives me a chance to try some of it, see if it sticks.

Trouble is, no clue where to start! I've watched a few of the Ghibli movies, just started watching Arcane on Netflix which I'm enjoying and my girls used to love Sailor Moon when they were little so seen some of those. Also, massive fan of the Power Rangers and Pokemon back in the day 🙂

Any advice on a good starter show that's available on Crunchyroll? Nothing too hardcore, something fairly easy to get along with.

If it helps, I pretty much love all other geek culture stuff, especially superhero stuff, obviously.

Appreciate the help in advance 🙂

5 hours ago, Coin said:

Any advice on a good starter show that's available on Crunchyroll? Nothing too hardcore, something fairly easy to get along with.

If you're into superheroes, My Hero Academia is an obvious entry point.  A Place Further Than The Universe is a stunningly good coming of age story.  Flying Witch is a fun slice-of-life/comedy.  Laid Back Camp is a VERY fun relaxing slice of life.  Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato is a very good reboot of the 1974 series, well worth watching.  Dr Stone is... very much it's own thing, and pretty darned good SF(ish).  ERASED... is mostly a character drama, but there's a couple of SFish twists and I can't say more without spoiling.

That's some of the best-of-the-best IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!

5 hours ago, Coin said:

OK, I know exceedingly little about Anime. It's one genre of geekdom I never really got into.

Also, not to be too nitpicky, anime isn't a genre - it's a medium like movies or TV.

51 minutes ago, Krimson said:

If we're going this route, I would recommend the first season of a Toaru Kakagu no Railgun/A Certain Scientific Railgun. And yes, I am aware this bypasses the source material of Index, but Railgun is a really good first thing to watch. 

I always recommend skipping Index...  It's not a prerequisite for Railgun and trying to keep track of it's internal mythology and ever shifting factions gives me a headache.

On 11/21/2022 at 2:32 PM, Coin said:

See, this is why I need you guys 😄 

Coin I've got a few and I'll provide a little flavor of why I recommend each below - in no partcular order.

Spy X Family - A new show that makes a unique twist on the spy theme that hasn't really been done before in anime to my knowledge. 

Full Metal Alchemist (and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood) - Great art style and voice acting. Some anime tropes, lots of dark story telling and a couple of surprises for the audience throughout. Great music and character development makes you root for the good and bad guys for different reasons.

One Punch Man - A great introduction to anime. Over the top characters and a mix of humor and drama, this is a superb gate way to other series. Super powered individuals abound.

My Hero Academia -  Another gateway anime that mixes the super hero genre with a dose of Shonen-like story telling. Can't go wrong with this one! The big bad fight scenes are awesome. 

Mob Psycho 100 - Feels a lot like One Punch Man, so if you watched that and enjoyed it, try this one out. Bit of a super powered series as well. 

Demon Slayer - Highest recommendation from me if I had to pick among any of these to watch. Pretty generic storyline about a kid who experiences traumatic loss and gains power to overcome his enemies and his fears. The art style in this series is so amazing. The final boss fight scenes for each season are pure Sakuga 🔥 👌 💯

Gurren Lagann - Just so good. Amazing story and art style and music and uplifting in my opinion. Without spoiling too much, a kid raises his hopes towards the heavens and achieves his dreams. Mecha themed background with a solid mix of campy and sardonic story lines.

Trigun - Great story that follows a light hearted protagonist that quickly develops in to a weighty character arc and delivers at the very end like a spaghetti western classic. Great early 90s art style.

Cowboy Bebop - Bounty Hunters in space meet amazing art style and musical score. I enjoyed it for its flashy scenes and interesting protagonist as a kid watching it on Cartoon Network's Toonami. Rewatched it as an adult and it was even better. 

Samurai Champloo - Amazing soundtrack, something I consider an integral part of a great anime series is how the music and the art style help tell the story. This one has plenty of action, if a bit adult themed with its depiction of violence. Recommend watching a few episodes first before hand to see if it's your jam. If you like this series, I would recommend an unrelated but similar themed anime called "Afro Samuai"

Attack on Titan - I'd argue some of the best storytelling in any anime I've ever watched, coupled with amazing (I know I say that a lot, but this is a pantheon of the all time great animes in my opinion) visual style that evolves throughout the seasons. You will be in for a hell of a ride with this one!

Honorable Mentions:

Sword Art Online and Overlord are cool video game RPG themed anime. And some of the classics if you're looking for some easy, some would say cheesy, anime that grow on you - Bleach, Naurto, One Piece, and the Dragon Ball series. Then you've got your 90s classics like Yu Yu Hakasho and Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing (and its many iterations), Inyusha, Rouroni Kenshin, Golgo 13, oh man the list goes on!

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

• 1 month later

Bunping this thread in anticipation of AOT Season 4 Part 3, Demon Slayer Season 3, and the continuation of My Hero Academia Season 6! 

Really enjoying Spy X Family and Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War. 

Hulu is doing a readaptation of Trigun using a new art style and story telling perspective if anyone is interested. 

Pocket D Zone Tour