MA/WP Scrapper or Brute?

drgantz

I mostly plan to group and only PVE. 

I know that Brutes get a Def bonuses with Storm Kick.
In a different post, someone said that WP is one of the weaker sets on a Scrapper. 
I've also read several posts saying that Brutes got nerfed.

Yes, but, take those posts with a spoonful of salt. It's rather people lamenting we are not longer in the City of Brutes era. Now there are choices.

For the sets you've mentioned I'd go with Brute but as a rule of thumb: Scrapper for more damage, Brute for better survival.

That said the 7.5% defense in Storm kick helps survival even more (easier to build to 40% defense when 7.5% are accounted for) and WP plays a lot on regen, and regen is based on total HP of which Brutes have more than Scrappers.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 11:58 AM, drgantz said:

I mostly plan to group and only PVE. 

In a different post, someone said that WP is one of the weaker sets on a Scrapper. 

It's important to understand that statements made about specifics sets are based on some specific context.   I've found that most of the time, people talk about sets in terms of what is happening at lvl 50 and in the context of soloing 4x8.

WP, leveling up, is a great set.  It has low overhead and with the ample +regen, you finish fights at full health and full endurance.  I believe it also has Fear resistance and Pisonic resistance.   But unlike /Regen, WP is not great against damage spikes by single hard targets as it's +regen is boosted by mobs.   So it's a GREAT set for team PvE.   But it relies upon the increased HPs and +RES and +DEF to allow the +regen to win the day.   

At level 50, unlike a /Regen or /Bio, it lacks a +heal power.  So if you try and solo at 4x8, you can quickly get overwhelmed.   Strength of Will is some help in those situations, but it is unaffected by recharge.  So you have 2 minutes on and 3 minutes off. 

/WP would obviously be better on  a Brute because the increased hit points are leveraged by /WP's method of mitigation, but a scrapper should be faster at killing the hard targets that /WP is weak against.   So a scrapper doesn't live as long, but theoretically doesn't need to live as long to win the encounter.

Another reason why people probably underrate /WP at level 50 is that it's not obvious how to maximize the set with regard to set bonuses.  Compare that to /SR which is straight forward. Historically, the top rated sets are those that cap +DEF or +RES, combined with other forms of mitigation.   If you don't have a build that can cap either, then you're significantly underperforming compare to a build that can.   I'm betting the average lvl 50 /WP build is probably not capping either.

Edited by Blackjoy