Devs, please explain why you are nerfing one of the most popular activities on Homecoming

dms

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

"Are the devs anti-farming?"

This is 100% just me musing here, but I imagine if it is like any other sort of team of people it varies person to person. But overall, the general feel is that they aren't "anti-farm," only anti AFK farm. Or at least, making that more challenging to do and not so simple. 

I never disagreed with a line being drawn, only where that line is and how they arrived to it. Not to sound cliche here but, I will use WoW to demonstrate my point. There were two main modes of the game - PVE and PVE. Now, the different classes had the same powers in both game modes. Some powers would do extra things in one mode or another, or simply not work at all. As time passed, they began to "bleed" the different modes, which left neither side happy. The PVE people saw their powers gutted and trimmed down, which made every class a 4 button rotation with an extra cooldown to use now and then. While the PVPers saw it as an overall nerf across the board. Not a PVPer myself, but it was described to me as they turned the game of chess into checkers, or even rock-paper-scissors.

I fear the similar thing happening here. I don't want them to use one form of gameplay as a sort of "measuring stick" to balance everything else against. If it were up to me, it would be give and take. Gain some, loose some. Knock down the big stuff a few notches but bring up a few other things as well. To their credit they have done that somewhat, with the new prism salvage and the like. It isn't 100% even yet, but it's gotten closer, at least where the economy is concerned. 

But to be clear, I make no claim that they used any particular mode to balance everything around. Only that's what it feels like, at least from my side of the fence. One part of game play has been propped up, while the other has taken a few notches down. In this case, ITFs and the like vs Farming. Now before you light your torches, I am not making the case that INF should be put back to where it was. But it would be nice if "something" was given to farmers as well, even if it was something minor or cosmetic. Even if it isn't EXP or INF based. Just something that says "Hey we see you, and we value you as a part of the community too." Because from the farmers side of things, it's been nothing but lost ground. And this need not even be farming specifically, but I would make it based off AE use or Map creation.

As far as what that something might be? I confess, I have no idea what would be acceptable or even possible. Again, if it was my decision, there would be badges or perhaps a costume or something for AE map creators, or even if someone made a map that got so many great ratings and the like. Even if it was just a title like "Creator" or something, that little bit can go a long way to soothe ruffled feathers when only one side has gotten all the bells and whistles.

I do honestly believe that the Devs aren't out to get anyone. They could nuke the AE from orbit if they wanted to, just to be sure. But they haven't. They did make afk farming more difficult, true. But not impossible. The rewards for AFK vs Active farming is more noticeable now as well, but I don't think anyone would argue against that, even among the farmers.

Just my musings on the matter.

• Thumbs Up 1