Devs, please explain why you are nerfing one of the most popular activities on Homecoming

dms

I skipped from the first page of this post to here, as I don't have the time to read them all.  Is anyone keeping track of what's who's opinions on various topics are?  Like a scorecard?  Can't understand the game without a scorecard, ya know.

Anyhoo, the only toxicity I'm really interested in is that from my Spines/Fire Brutes.  I did a rough calculation and even on Page 4, as I can only put one on Autofire, Spine Burst was a better source of AoE damage than Burn.  Burn would be better for ST, but it's Spine Burst all the way for AoE.  Looking forward to CoD2 updating so I can check it again, but I imagine it'll still be Spine Burst for AoE, Burn for ST.  And helps that Spine Burst is slotted with a full set of Superior Avalanche so I get the knockdown as well for mitigation.

As for the devs, welp, they're a bunch of volunteers who are doing the best they can individually and as a group to make Homecoming City of Heroes better.  I don't always agree with what they do and don't do, but I understand their positions.  I also know to get them to consider my views, I need to test and engage with them in a positive manner.

As for farming, I send me Brutes out in the Back 40 from time to time.  And realise by actively using just a part of the game, farming helps draw attention to those parts of the game.  Under that focus, issues are discovered more often and will get fixes implemented more often too.

And if you think the last few Pages generated drama, welp, sooon.  Sooon.

Be seeing you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

whats the difference between that and slotting for 45% def to all and skipping to objectives in tfs/trials to get merits quicker?

and a tray full of insps

and incarnate stuff

One is so much easier than the other that a cat can successfully handle the majority of the play time, just for starters.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Luminara said:

There is no anti-farming league.  It's not about farming.  It never has been.  The only people who believe it is are the ones who refuse to accept that anything can or does happen that doesn't directly and maliciously target farming.

There is no LARP reason to have -def on fire swords.  Even moreso when they removed the lethal part to them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

One is so much easier than the other that a cat can successfully handle the majority of the play time, just for starters.

Even a firefarmer starting out cannot just jump into +4x8 farms.  level shifts, other incarnate abilities, etc.

1 minute ago, kelika2 said:

There is no LARP reason to have -def on fire swords.  Even moreso when they removed the lethal part to them.

No there definitely is.  When you take your sword and light it on fire while chasing people around during LARPing their defense really goes to crap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

whats the difference between that and slotting for 45% def to all and skipping to objectives in tfs/trials to get merits quicker?

and a tray full of insps

and incarnate stuff

Please don't be obtuse here.  Inspirations are finite, once you've used them, they're gone unless you somehow luck out on getting drops that replace them.

Incarnate abilities you have to work for.  

Speedrunning an ITF to farm merits?  Sure thing, it's right up there with rerunning Dreck a few gazillion times back in the day.  As long as you didn't actually finish it, and reset the mish, you could level up against endless Freakshow for weeks.  And yes, Posi came out vehemently against such things also.  

The one difference between all of the examples given, and running a Fire Farm setup, is that when you run AE content, you're not only tuning your character for the expected mission, but you're also tuning the mission to your character.  You're in control of not only what powers and enhancements you have, but also what you expect to face.  

And yes, since Architect dropped, this has been a thing.  And yes, Posi threatened to rip the whole thing out, root and branch, when he found out that the AE was being used to farm.  He got talked down, because there were a lot of people using the AE system to actually tell stories and present content that wasn't farm related.  I can't say he was entirely wrong, though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

Just now, Snarky said:

No there definitely is.  When you take your sword and light it on fire while chasing people around during LARPing their defense really goes to crap.

Then why was ice melee, which underperformed worse than fire melee pre-patch, ignored?

Why didnt Dominators get some of the changes?

oh man, and fire control

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Luminara said:

There is no anti-farming league.  It's not about farming.  It never has been.  The only people who believe it is are the ones who refuse to accept that anything can or does happen that doesn't directly and maliciously target farming.  What there is is a rejection of the "This is my game and you have to satisfy me, fuck everyone else" attitude that those people portray.

If the people espousing that mentality were as mature as you are, we wouldn't have threads like this.

Lumi... There are plenty of regulars in these threads who hate that farming exists in the game on principle. You know that as well as I do.

The "Anti-farming League" doesn't have to be some shadowy, organized cabal any more than the "Dev Crew Cheering Squad" does... It's just humorous shorthand for the members of the gang who'd love to see the practice removed as an option. You can't honestly tell me those opinions don't exist and haven't been made crystal clear.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

1 minute ago, kelika2 said:

Then why was ice melee, which underperformed worse than fire melee pre-patch, ignored?

Why didnt Dominators get some of the changes?

oh man, and fire control

I'm not sure what this has to do with me chasing people around comic con with a flaming sword while LARPing...  But I'll take a shot.

Why didn't Dark/Dark Blasters get unscrewed?   (We were just randomly picking topics now right?)

• Haha 2

Just now, Coyotedancer said:

Lumi... There are plenty of regulars in these threads who hate that farming exists in the game on principle. You know that as well as I do.

The "Anti-farming League" doesn't have to be some shadowy, organized cabal any more than the "Dev Crew Cheering Squad" does... It's just humorous shorthand for the members of the gang who'd love to see the practice removed as an option. You can't honestly tell me those opinions don't exist and haven't been made crystal clear.

Can we get a list of anti-farming players besides UltraAlt? Just want to be sure you’re not drawing a false equivalency between being anti-farming and just not screaming bloody murder when farming is slightly affected by general patches??

• Thumbs Down 2

Just now, MistressOhm said:

Please don't be obtuse here.  Inspirations are finite, once you've used them, they're gone unless you somehow luck out on getting drops that replace them.

No they are not, emailing insps to yourself, buying them from a contact.  i cant recall how long t1 insps lasts but if you space it out you can get some nice time with Lucks.  And you do not need that many to skip and speed stuff, anything from Epidural to LAM

2 minutes ago, MistressOhm said:

The one difference between all of the examples given, and running a Fire Farm setup, is that when you run AE content, you're not only tuning your character for the expected mission, but you're also tuning the mission to your character.  You're in control of not only what powers and enhancements you have, but also what you expect to face. 

Luck insps do not care what is incoming as long as its not autohit.  And someone S/L capped can skip a huge chunk of this game

Also do not forget that getting to 45% fire def requires some dedication.  95% resist cap does not mean much when more than 16 targets can hit you now, moreso with -def.  your health WILL trickle down without both

I'll also toss this into the ring....

When the Halloween event started just after a new currency was introduced there was a post on here that I found very problematic.

A forum user felt that the Dev's were 'spitting in the face' of long term players by introducing a new currency. I'm too lazy to go look it up, but its there.

The devs introduced something for the player to EARN...and the player felt slighted by it.

That GROSS sense of entitlement is what this is all about. Some players feel 'entitled' to farm...that it is their right. The changes altered things. That sense of entitlement feels threatened.

Players are NOT entitled to a damn thing. We're lucky as HELL to even be playing this thing AT ALL.

If you are a long term player that LIVES in the game and do not like the changes....by all means, move on.

If you are a long term player that likes the changes....shut UP and stop bickering.

If you are a long term player that is just happy as hell, like I am, that the game still EXISTS in any form at all....HI!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 minute ago, arcane said:

Can we get a list of anti-farming players besides UltraAlt? Just want to be sure you’re not drawing a false equivalency between being anti-farming and just not screaming bloody murder when farming is slightly affected by general patches??

Can I get put on the "I dont give a crap about farming one way or another but this is funnier than watching you scrape flaming dog turd off your tennis shoe" group?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Snarky said:

I'm not sure what this has to do with me chasing people around comic con with a flaming sword while LARPing...  But I'll take a shot.

Name 1 reason for only fire sword attacks to have -def other than to screw with fire farmers in a roleplay sense.

Remember, there is no lethal component anymore

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Galactron said:

Except for the people who "stopped playing" and go as far as changing their sig to let everyone know "they're out of here" yet still post here constantly?  Those people?  I have a hard time believing *anyone* really quits.

Yup, there's a few of us. But there's a difference between trying to give a shit and watching trainwrecks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I dunno, if you light someone on fire, their ability to avoid further attacks goes right out the window as they try to, you know, put the fire out.  😛 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

3 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

Name 1 reason for only fire sword attacks to have -def other than to screw with fire farmers in a roleplay sense.

Remember, there is no lethal component anymore

Not that I want to climb inside your head.  O, no.  But what connection is there between Lethal and minus Defense in your world that you keep bringing it up again and again?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MistressOhm said:

I dunno, if you light someone on fire, their ability to avoid further attacks goes right out the window as they try to, you know, put the fire out.  😛 

Then why not have -def on every attack?

I mean if you are blinded by a dark blast attack, would that not effect your ability to dodge?  @Snarky

And super sub zero cold temps shivering reducing something and a thing

And getting hit with a rock wait it already does this

etc

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, kelika2 said:

I mean if you are blinded by a dark blast attack, would that not effect your ability to dodge?  @Snarky

etc

These are all appropriate questions and my only possible response is that fiery melee sucked taint and I'm happy as hell to see it buffed. Too bad I deleted ever FM character I built.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, arcane said:

Alt is the obvious one, of course. He's never been shy. I'd also put Ohm at least somewhat in that camp as well, since she apparently views what we do as an "exploit".

As for anyone else, honestly I rarely keep track of names. If you take a stroll through any of the other, older threads, I'm sure you could assemble a list just as easily as I could. It's a common enough sentiment to have made an impression.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Just now, kelika2 said:

etc

Do you really want a list of all the attacks that debuff Defense? Or Resistance? 

Maybe the problem here isn't that Fire Sword is now debuffing Resistance... but that it WASN'T debuffing Resistance before now.

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------