Elec Control - Questions on How Powers Perform

Zumberge

So I've been looking at some of the control sets I never had a chance to see much in action in Live and Elec Control caught my eye thanks to having an AoE confuse on a very reasonable cooldown.  I was originally going to ask solely about how that performed but then I figured that it would just be more timely to ask about all the stuff that differs from other sets.  So here we are.

Jolting Chain - It's mass knockdown on an eight-second cooldown which, sure, probably isn't great, but is it even worth using insofar as both a) soft control is soft control, and b) you can put a Force Feedback set and proc in there for the chance of +recharge?

Conductive Aura - Pine's has no endurance cost listed, and considering that it gives you recovery it's a gentle encouragement to get closer to the action.  Is any aspect of the recovery or drain significant, though?

Static Field - It appears to be a -speed -recharge patch, but how long does it last, and does the sleep effect proc continuously over its duration, i.e. can a single enemy be put to sleep multiple times?

Synaptic Overload - It's a chain AoE, but if you shoot it into a mob, can you reasonably expect that (barring things like resistance and bosses requiring mag 4 mezzes for them to take effect) most of the mob will be affected?  I guess the question is, how effective is it?

That last one is probably going to make or break it because I really like AoE confuses you guys.

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

So I've been looking at some of the control sets I never had a chance to see much in action in Live and Elec Control caught my eye thanks to having an AoE confuse on a very reasonable cooldown.  I was originally going to ask solely about how that performed but then I figured that it would just be more timely to ask about all the stuff that differs from other sets.  So here we are.

Jolting Chain - It's mass knockdown on an eight-second cooldown which, sure, probably isn't great, but is it even worth using insofar as both a) soft control is soft control, and b) you can put a Force Feedback set and proc in there for the chance of +recharge?

I had an electric/time on live and found it quite useful while solo.  With immobilizes now converting knockback to knockdown, this seems like a pretty solid choice.

Conductive Aura - Pine's has no endurance cost listed, and considering that it gives you recovery it's a gentle encouragement to get closer to the action.  Is any aspect of the recovery or drain significant, though?

Yes, the end. drain is pretty significant, but it does require more time than I find most teams allow.

Static Field - It appears to be a -speed -recharge patch, but how long does it last, and does the sleep effect proc continuously over its duration, i.e. can a single enemy be put to sleep multiple times?

I believe the duration is 30 seconds and it does reapply the sleep.

Synaptic Overload - It's a chain AoE, but if you shoot it into a mob, can you reasonably expect that (barring things like resistance and bosses requiring mag 4 mezzes for them to take effect) most of the mob will be affected?  I guess the question is, how effective is it?

That last one is probably going to make or break it because I really like AoE confuses you guys.

If you hit the first target, it spawns two chains to spread the confusion, if I recall correctly.  It's very likely that it will hit most of the mob.

I really enjoy this power. It is in my opinion the crown jewel of the Elec Control set. I have mine slotted with 2 end and 1 acc (only level 26) and it does much more work than others you have you believe. Combine this with Static Field and Tesla Cage and the group drops down to 0 end in seconds.

I think it does resleep but I am not 100% sure about this, I would have to test it (pay attention to it actually). Also it is not a -Recharge but a -End that has a chance to give end to your teammates

Static Field is a pulsing sleep.  Basically it acts similar to a location aoe fear - enemies hit the patch and fall asleep, when they get hit they wake long enough for one action and then get hit by the pulse again to fall back asleep.  Unlike fear which applies -to hit, Static Field drains end on each pulse.  It's a very overlooked power for how strong it controls.

Jolting Chain is a power I usually take on the way up to 50 and then respect out of later. It's not terrible, but the damage is low. The biggest issue, though, is the amount of animation time devoted to knocking a pack of enemies over one time. At higher levels your pets have this power and will occasionally knock down the pack, costing you no animation time for doing other things.

Conductive Aura is a very effective sapping tool. The main issue with it is it detoggles if you get mezzed. If you enjoy the sapping game, consider pairing Electric with Kinetics and/or taking a power pool that has Power Sink (I think the Controller Mu Villain Patron Pool provides this--I know it does for Dominators). With Power Sink, Conductive Aura, and Electric Cages my Dominator can floor the endurance of Elite Bosses.

Static Field is a pseudo pet that continually recasts Sleep. The outstanding thing about this power is it doesn't require any real slotting to be effective. The Recharge time is very quick. I usually slot 1 Accuracy here and move on. Note that this power tends to be more effective when soloing versus teaming, and Elec Control is very low damage on a Controller. On a Dominator this is a signature power. You'll want to avoid damage over time effects to get the most out of it.

Note that slotted with Damage IOs, Jolting Chain does about 100 damage at level 50. That may seem underwhelming, but it's on an 8 second recharge... powers on Controller scale that recharge in 16 seconds would only do a bit more damage than that. It's actually a strong damaging power for Controller AoEs. And while spamming AoE attacks with 8 second recharge is usually tough for the Endurance, Electric is a set that should have no problems doing this, given End recovery from its single-target attacks, Conductive Aura, and the Sleep field.

Right now I can't really decide between my Elec/Traps and Elec/Time. They are both so much fun. I guess I'll level both to 50 and have a closer look with sets and incarnate abilities.

back in the days: Zukunft (EU) ... nowadays: Everlasting

Right now I can't really decide between my Elec/Traps and Elec/Time. They are both so much fun. I guess I'll level both to 50 and have a closer look with sets and incarnate abilities.

I'm running mine with Kinetics. Time is really fun too though !

Thanks to whoever suggested Static Field. I've played my Elec/Dark troller up to mid-20s without it, due to most sleep effects not being useful in other control sets. I decided to try this one based on this thread, and it totally changes the way I view sleep powers now. I wish others were up to snuff, because this is a damned useful tool to have in the arsenal.