Let people make their topics and speak.

Relvinian

17 hours ago, Neiska said:

Not everyone is going to agree what "the right direction" is. 

Fair enough. 
I've already been corrected for suggesting that no opinions were right or wrong, to an obvious generalization that nobody is wrong all the time. 
I've already been accused for moving a goal post for saying that an absolute term is just fine. 

Someone disagrees with you, (not you, Neiska, just the general "you") and people must have the last word and try to move people closer to their way of thinking and seeing the world. 

I don't see that approach working in most cases, unless they know and respect you. And other than maybe 5 people on the forums, the rest don't know you to respect you. And half the regular forum goers probably have those same 5 people on ignore for reasons of their own, while they only know and respect a different 5 people. 

I can see now, these forums are the place of madness. Enjoy yourselves, I'm out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Perfidy said:

I can see now, these forums are the place of madness. Enjoy yourselves, I'm out. 

I have always seen the forums as a waste of time 😛 its like twitter before twitter was a thing. people argue and yell at each other here then get muted, soon enough you only get msg and convo with people you already agree with.

things like how to build X or how to make X work here as people with knowledge can answer questions to people who are new. Fixing the game, what needs to be added etc. Are always a questions to nothing, the Devs might look in on them but I have never found it will change anything.

Spring-boarding, in a semi-serious way off of...

On 10/25/2022 at 2:08 AM, Redletter said:

That happens after a page and half of actual discussion on the topic at hand, usually spearheaded by people who have no proof of their claims in either direction, who have no inclination to agree with their "opponents" because, sincerely, they don't have to. This carries on until most of what's been said, has been said multiple times by mulitple people, representing arguments from any side that could be taken in any argument.

Then we shitpost, because at that point there's already over 500 words on the actual topic to read through about the topic, and people can formulate opinions for themselves. The topic has all but reached its natural conclusion. So there's no point in repeating eachother, lest we end up with another page and a half of actual discussion on the topic at hand, usually spearheaded by people who have no proof of their claims in either direction, who have no inclination to agree with their "opponents" because, sincerely, they don't have to. This carries on until most of what's been said, has been said multiple times by mulitple people, representing arguments from any side that could be taken in any argument.

I find the Homecoming forums refreshing. I am a member of a "professional" forum that has a very different sort of attitude,. Over the years (decades, really), it has become weirdly cliquish, such that the same group of moderators (and fanbois) like and echo all the same posts... which I wouldn't have expected because that forum covers an incredibly wide variety of industries, and solicits (or used to solicit) precise input. The posts that keep appearing, being quoted, and getting likes? Practically meaningless questions directed to the person asking an original question!  On a good day about 50% of that crew's questions are necessary for a precise answer, but It's like watching a bunch of elementary grade people play at the Socratic method... because it would kill them to not write anything.

giphy.gif