Pairings with Stone Armor

Xandyr

So, it's my understanding that Brimstone Armor gives a chance of fire damage with each attack? If that's the case, does Stone Armor get more benefit from a more AoE focused primary (say like Staff or something) vs a primary more geared towards ST damage (like EM)?

And this extra damage, is it pushing towards Bio Armor levels, or is Bio still the way to go for most damage?

Honestly, it adds enough for Bio levels of damage. Big drawback for ME personally is Stone Armor for scrappers lacks a taunt aura. As for pairing? I don't see how it wouldn't go well with whatever you like to play. Obviously the PBAOE aura is going to really help a ST oriented primary a lot, but it helps everything.

• Like 1

My Ice/Stone was a blast to play up to 50 and beyond. It was just a very smooth experience overall. Ice Patch kept me very safe and made sure I didn't have to worry about runners.

Never once felt like my damage was low. In fact, I still use this scrapper for 4* ITFs.

• Like 2

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

I just got a spine/ stone (graniteless) Brute to T3 incarnates, and it's been a ton of fun. I took Barb Swipe and skipped Impale to better pressure hard targets with DoTs.

I went with Brute over Scrapper because I could build over 3k hp under Earth's Embrace, and the DoTs get a boost from Fury. And taunt. 

I might try a high burst damage set like Fire or Energy to pair with Stone on a Scrapper, maybe less runners if they're dead. 

On 11/5/2022 at 10:23 AM, BrandX said:

I'll still suggest Claws, as it's not an option for Brutes or Tankers

You can't do claws with Stone Armor

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Oh my, I did not know that... I may have to look into a stoned clawer...

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

5 hours ago, Zepp said:

You can't do claws with Stone Armor

You can with Scrapper, hence why I said you can't with Brutes and Tankers.  I have a Claws/Stone Scrapper was enjoyable 🙂  Mudpots doesn't really slow enemies down, even with slow slotted, so I wouldn't slot for slow.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, BrandX said:

You can with Scrapper, hence why I said you can't with Brutes and Tankers.  I have a Claws/Stone Scrapper was enjoyable 🙂  Mudpots doesn't really slow enemies down, even with slow slotted, so I wouldn't slot for slow.

Yeah, my hope on /Stone Armor for scrappers was that the mud pots slow would KIND of make up for the lack of a taunt aura 😕

4 hours ago, StriderIV said:

Yeah, my hope on /Stone Armor for scrappers was that the mud pots slow would KIND of make up for the lack of a taunt aura 😕

I've come to feel that no slow power seems to really slow an enemy down.  At least not the slow powers on DPS.  /Martial Blasters have a slow power and enemies don't feel slowed.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, BrandX said:

I've come to feel that no slow power seems to really slow an enemy down.  At least not the slow powers on DPS.  /Martial Blasters have a slow power and enemies don't feel slowed.

Ok. This is interesting to me.  Because yeah, the slow in MudPots on a Scrapper is so ineffective that I ran around checking everything in range with PA out of a suspicion it was outright broken. It isn't, it's just ... weak.

I tried out an Ice Blast sentinel to see if I could leverage slows. Nope. Not even a little bit.

But it's my Fire/Martial blaster with Reaction Time that is the only one that feels effective in slowing enemies, but that is because the debuff on that aura is 70% compared to much lower values in Ice Storm/Blizzard/etc.  It probably helps that I run Gravitic on that blaster, which stacks onto the slow.  Between that, RoF, and RT, this blaster is better at slow than every Ice character I've tried.  Caveat: These are all DPS classes.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

10 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

Do I recall incorrectly? I remember moving slightly with Mudpots and while foes did not struggle to reposition I would have sworn I noticed a delay in them maneuvering to get to me.

No, you are mostly correct and I am mostly hyperbolic. 😉

And/Or setting my expectations too high for movement debuffs on dps classes.

The effect is there; I just found the overall result (edit: from Mud Pots alone) lackluster.

Edited by InvaderStych
clarity
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Just now, InvaderStych said:

The effect is there; I just found the overall result lackluster.

It is not like dropping Blizzard on a group, but I got to wondering about the defensive gains to be had by periodically repositioning. Maybe if I get back to the character in the future (Elec/Stone brute) I will get a chance to explore the idea more.