CoX needs bigger balls

Snarky

This game has gotten tougher at the higher level.  Incarnate work and the new hard mode TFs are quite challenging.  Of particular note is how much larger and more spread out combat situations have become since Incarnate content started dropping.

Now, those with cones have ways to naturally enhance. You can extend the length quite a ways with enhancements.  Then there are synthetic enhancement in Alpha abilities etc.

But there is nothing that can be done to enhance what seems to be the ever shrinking power of balls.  I think there should be a hard look taken at balls, with an eye to finding a way to make them large enough to get the job done.  Maybe enhancers? Or just a ball size increase, or perhaps an increase in certain content?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

You're not abusing your teammates properly.  As a blaster, you should have learned by now that the only reason to have teammates in the first place is to pull enemies into tight formations so you can smack them with your balls.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Solution: Take Barrier Destiny on all your characters.  This will give you and basically everyone in every league you're a part of a great big ball to run around in, like a bunch of little incarnate hamsters.  Of course, you don't get to have your balls if someone else who has that Destiny casts theirs before you...so if you want to have the biggest balls, you need to first encourage the dev team to give us a minimal FX option for that (and Clarion) so that we can take instead, and be dependent on your balls, for all our balls.

I believe in Snarky's balls, devs.  This is not just me begging for minimal FX options again for my own sake, I swear. It's solely in support of Snarky's balls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Anything that comes to mind will lead to a GM smack, so Imma be quiet. 😛

• Haha 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 11/2/2022 at 5:26 PM, Snarky said:

This game has gotten tougher at the higher level.  Incarnate work and the new hard mode TFs are quite challenging.  Of particular note is how much larger and more spread out combat situations have become since Incarnate content started dropping.

Now, those with cones have ways to naturally enhance. You can extend the length quite a ways with enhancements.  Then there are synthetic enhancement in Alpha abilities etc.

But there is nothing that can be done to enhance what seems to be the ever shrinking power of balls.  I think there should be a hard look taken at balls, with an eye to finding a way to make them large enough to get the job done.  Maybe enhancers? Or just a ball size increase, or perhaps an increase in certain content?

Okay, it took me a minute to figure out what in the world you're talking about, but I THINK I've got it.  😄  So.... Are you suggesting / asking for a way to increase the radius of Targeted AOEs? 

As you alluded to, Range enhancements in a cone makes it wider at the end and thusly allows a player to potentially get more in it (if not already at the cone's target cap).  But with a targeted AOE (like Fireball or Explosive Blast) that goes 80 ft and then explodes in a "ball" with a 15ft radius, a range enhancement ONLY increases the 80 ft to 100 ft and leaves the radius still at 15ft - and there is still no way to get more nearby foes with it (like a cone), if not at the power's target cap already, of course. 

...is this what you mean and are suggesting to change?  Having Range enhancements increase the radius of the "Ball" as well as the distance it goes? 

....if so, I agree and think that would be worthwhile and fair.  i think Range Enhancement in a cone should widen the angle a little bit too.  Not many people slot for range and only get a little bit from sets like Posi's Blast (or with Sniper sets for their sniper powers).  Plus, with cones and targeted AOEs having target caps, all this would do is help ensure we get to the target cap of the power - I do not think that is game breaking and certainly would be useful.

2 hours ago, Frozen Burn said:

...is this what you mean and are suggesting to change?  Having Range enhancements increase the radius of the "Ball" as well as the distance it goes? 

....if so, I agree and think that would be worthwhile and fair.  i think Range Enhancement in a cone should widen the angle a little bit too.  Not many people slot for range and only get a little bit from sets like Posi's Blast (or with Sniper sets for their sniper powers).  Plus, with cones and targeted AOEs having target caps, all this would do is help ensure we get to the target cap of the power - I do not think that is game breaking and certainly would be useful.

Yes exactly. Although Range enhancers already serve one function in the power.  I am not adverse to a a range enhancement doing both jobs.  It is not a normal thing in the game, although i can think of other odd enhancement oddities 

Bear in mind that sphere radii exist to control the effectiveness of AoEs.  Play a sentinel (smaller target caps) at a large team size setting with a rain-type AoE, or any character with a toggle AoE/PBAoE, and you'll notice that the target cap isn't fixed at the time of activation.  Enemies which were unaffected at activation will be affected when other enemies exit the AoE or are defeated.  Consequently, removing that limitation would entail adding another limitation, such as reduced effects or even smaller target caps.

So before going hog wild theorycrafting massive radius AoEs, consider what you'd be willing to give up to obtain them.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 minute ago, Luminara said:

Bear in mind that sphere radii exist to control the effectiveness of AoEs.  Play a sentinel (smaller target caps) at a large team size setting with a rain-type AoE, or any character with a toggle AoE/PBAoE, and you'll notice that the target cap isn't fixed at the time of activation.  Enemies which were unaffected at activation will be affected when other enemies exit the AoE or are defeated.  Consequently, removing that limitation would entail adding another limitation, such as reduced effects or even smaller target caps.

So before going hog wild theorycrafting massive radius AoEs, consider what you'd be willing to give up to obtain them.

I don't understand this train of logic. Why would we need to add in limitations when target caps already exist AND by slotting ball enhancers we'd be effectively g8ving up some other stat?

I don't agree with this accessing and reads of small-ball vibes

Edited by Yaliw
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball".   Tankers, take note.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

I cant resist

you like big balls?

well weve got the biggest 

Balls of them all !!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?