Which scrapper build should I choose when I previously hated scrappers. Please convince me!

Antarticaa

I usually play corruptors, blasters, even sentinels and healers.  A friend challenged me to play a scrapper, and I will but I understand they are so squishy.  I've loved the firepower of blasters and using range.  Now I'll have to get up close and wail away.  What builds would you suggest for one who would like to play a scrapper and will play her. I 'm just open to combo suggestions.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Antarticaa said:

I understand they are so squishy. 

Not at all, especially compared to the ATs you've listed! Scrappers are very resilient.

7 hours ago, Antarticaa said:

What builds would you suggest for one who would like to play a scrapper and will play her.

There are so, so many.  I've lost the pulse what the very best are, but it's likely some pairing of Energy Melee, War Mace, Titan Weapons, Bio Armor, Sheild Defense, and Energy Armor.

Honestly, I'd say just dive in with Scrappers, both literally and figuratively.  It seems like this is your first pure melee character, so it's best to experiment with how you prefer your melee experience to feel. Try a combo that sounds thematically fun and learn how to drive one first, and then focus on powerset combos you want to explore. 

• Thumbs Up 3

The biggest difference in how I play blasters/Corruptors vs scrappers is I usually don't take super speed, if I do I don't use it in missions. For me it feels more natural and to not overshoot.

Number two is to bind target next boss. Get away from the burn everything and move to the burn the biggest thing. Everything else will fall to aoes and cones.

Three you won't melt minions as fast but the average spawn will generally fall faster (see trapdoor tests)

It really comes down to style and what you want to do in game. If you want to min/max or sacrifice a little (or a lot) when it comes to powers. Then the question is do you want to play fast and quick or slower but harder hitting on each attack.

The general consensus is to avoid Regen as a secondary.

Design the character concept then fit powers to it to have more fun.

I don't have a specific recommendation on primaries because they are all pretty good. However, 4 of the weapon sets (Staff, Broadsword, Titan Weapons, Katana) include a +defense power which can make the early levels a bit easier. 

Secondaries are a bit different. I would never tell you to avoid a set if you wanted to play it, but some do have some things to keep in mind which may turn you off. 

Regeneration - This is a more advanced set to deal with and may feel exceptionally squishy as a first time melee player. 
Any sets with a damage aura (Bio Armor, Dark Armor, Electric Armor, Fiery Aura, etc.) - These sets are great for adding more damage, but the damage aura will likely get you more attention than you may want. This can also lead to being overwhelmed early on which may lend to a sense the set is squishy. 

Pretty safe/easy to play picks:
Energy Aura
Invulnerability
Shield Defense (works well with Broadsword for more defense in melee early!)
Willpower

All of the above have a mixture of damage mitigation options built in and Willpower is one of the most hands off secondaries in the game. It can feel a bit squishy early on as you build up, but it smooths out later on. Note, Willpower's Rise to the Challenge has a taunt element to it, but by the time you start using this the set is beginning to mature. Also, RttC regenerates health faster with more enemies so it isn't that bad. Still, this may add a layer of complication you may not be interested in. 

There are a lot of other secondaries to pick from, and if I didn't list them it doesn't mean for a second they are bad. They just may have quirks about them that add to complexity or have other features which may lend a bit more thought to how it plays. 

Edited by oldskool

10 hours ago, Antarticaa said:

I usually play corruptors, blasters, even sentinels and healers.  A friend challenged me to play a scrapper, and I will but I understand they are so squishy.  I've loved the firepower of blasters and using range.  Now I'll have to get up close and wail away.  What builds would you suggest for one who would like to play a scrapper and will play her. I 'm just open to combo suggestions.

Scrappers are not squishy.

Scrappers may not be as tough as Tankers (even Brutes) with the 75% Resist Cap.

If you pick a resist set, you want to max out those resists.  I've been doing okay with an Electric Armor Scrapper that's capped S/L/E near max on F/C and almost 50% on Psi.  Toxic is my weakness, so I do keep oranges handy for those Apex TF 🙂

However, you can always go with a defense based set.  My suggestion for you is Axe/Shield.  Shield is survivable with that softcap and Axe is a fun new set you can try out.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, BrandX said:

My suggestion for you is Axe/Shield.  Shield is survivable with that softcap and Axe is a fun new set you can try out.

x2

Was about to suggest this combo. Shield is a revelation on a scrapper, and new Axe is excellent.  Prioritize at least 1 endrdx in attacks while leveling though, as this combo will slaughter the blue bar.

• Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

10 hours ago, Antarticaa said:

Now I'll have to get up close and wail away.  What builds would you suggest for one who would like to play a scrapper and will play her. I 'm just open to combo suggestions.

There is no need to build a character that you don't want to play.

What is your character conception?

What are their aspects?

Where or how did they train to fight?

All set work and combinations work, it's more about understanding what the character can do and adapting your playstyle to fit what the character can do.

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 11/2/2022 at 10:14 PM, Antarticaa said:

Don't play what you don't want to play is my advice, but here are a few rambling thoughts:

Scrappers are relatively squishy in comparison to brutes and tanks for a number of reasons, this is true.  If spending most of your time in close combat concerns you, start focus on a defense-based secondary and look to soft-cap your melee defense.  a % of defense works the same on a scrapper as it does on a tank.  Ninjitsu, Shield Defense, Super Reflexes are all positional defense, and are probably going to be a little easier to learn.  Energy, Ice, Stone are damage-typed defenses and may be a little bit more difficult but I find them to be overall better sets.  As previously mentioned, there are four primary sets that have a (very effective) +melee defense power.  Personally, I like layered protection.  Defense, resistance, healing, knockdown, mez are all good ways to keep alive, and I try to avoid builds that are all in on only one of those.

Ask yourself how you will be playing, and at what difficulty.  If you are teamed up all the time, then the only thing other people will expect of you is that you are going to go medieval on mobs.  If you want to be soloing +4/x8 TFs, you'll probably want to spend most of your attention on protection rather than maximizing offense.  Pick any primary that interests you -- they all work -- but if you want more bang for the buck look at sets with good AoE powers.

And if you like range, try the ridiculous new version of Battle Axe.  I've built a hover-blasting scrapper that floats just out of range and throws axes in near perfect safety.  It was poor testing and planning by the devs, but they are going to do whatever they want to do.

Who run Bartertown?

If the first one doesn't give the feel you like try several more.   Like all ATs there's similarities between scrappers but each also has it's own style.  I started on a scrapper and eventually defender then controller as well as a second scrapper.  Then I tried blasters.  The first several well I don't even recall what they were.  Then I tried a Fire/Energy and things just clicked.  It was a sweet spot for ranged attacks and getting up close and personal.   Next thing I knew she was among my first 50's and topped a growing list of blasters.  So while I consider myself a scrapper and controller player primarily just about all my characters tend to be willing and able to get in close and scrap but especially the blasters.  My current favorite is an Elec/Fire blaster who lives to get in the middle and let loose.  In short try several before you really decide they aren't you.  And may you find your own Soulfire Lily.

• Thumbs Up 1

... scrapper ... I understand they are so squishy.  I've loved the firepower of blasters and using range. ...

Scrappers can be very durable, considerably more durable than blasters, and can have up to twice the ST damage, but considerably less AoE.

I would recommend EnM/EnA for near tank durability while still maintaining respectable damage (but light on AoE damage).  I used this combo to solo 2-Star and 3-Star content.

From there you can expand into more overall balanced damage with Kat/ Mace/ Axe/ Fire/,  /Bio.

More AoE focused with ElA/, /SD.

and many more variations.

EnM Ena ShadowMeld Scrapper - 801 - Recharge-T9 ver 2J - [i25].mxd

Edited by Linea
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

I'm going to shill for one of my most favorite combos - savage melee/radiation armor - you are very durable, will practically never bottom-out your end, and even get a gap-closer as your melee T9...

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later