Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #3: Praetoria

SeraphimKensai

10 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

but even the map seems to be lazily thrown together. Not the map of each zone, but the overall Pretorian map.

The rest of your post is fine.  I hold mostly opposing views but we all have our opinion, live and let live, yeah.  However I'm curious as to what you mean by the latter part of that sentence.  The zones themselves are (again IMO) frankly the best looking zones in the game.  And that's a thing that pissed me off re the old Devs.  Let's build a city zone that is frikkin great...and then blow it up.  Such a waste.  Not even a possibility of a rebuild like is happening with Faultline/New Overbrook, just gone.

So, lazily thrown together as an overall map?

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

A few have noted the theme environment of the Gold side. I didn't even think to comment on this but I should. I thought it was dumb. We're in a superhero game and this angle is fine but it became too much. It was a major part of the game and theme.

I really hated how all of the signature characters had their alternate versions. I got tired of it. 

It seemed a lot of the game had big influences from the fantasy/D&D type stuff, which is fine, but it also got to be a bit much.

The HC team is too small and not paid so I'm not expecting anything massive to come out. Overall, I'd say the Live devs really whiffed on Going Rogue/Rouge. A ton of time, effort and resources and the result was really meh. Such a shame.

Yes, Goldside is ok and I will journey there for some of the missions but that's about it. I see it as a wasted opportunity.

I really like Praetoria, both the maps and the arcs, and I love First/Night Ward.  I think it's a huge shame it requires XP micromanagement to be able to play through the 1-20 Praetorian arcs.  Although large-scale content revamps are probably beyond a volunteer dev team, I do hope that one day they'll be able to adjust the level ranges of the arcs to make it a smoother experience.

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

6 hours ago, Darmian said:

However I'm curious as to what you mean by the latter part of that sentence.

There is a map of Praetoria as a whole. 

As I recall, it is basically divided into rectangles and increases in difficulty with each time that you move in the same direction.

Paragon City nor Rogue Isles are laid out in this manner. Sure the lower level zones connect to the next higher level zones, etc. but it isn't moving from left to right along the map. It seems to be very lazy design to me.

The zones themselves are (again IMO) frankly the best looking zones in the game.

They were done at the highest level of graphics that were done in the game, so they have the most "polish" due to the graphics level when it was built. (You can even see graphic level advancements in CoV for that matter)

Praetoria apparently hasn't been damaged by a Rikti invasion and were rebuilt with all the newest construction techniques. Do they even get Rikti Raids over there?

Heck, the place is so dystopian that even the sewers are wide open spaces and squeaky clean thanks to clockwork and other automations. (I hear they stick you in an isocube for a 10 years if you drop a bubble gum wrapper in the sewers ... it's 100 years if they catch you throwing your used bubble gum on sidewalks on the streets above!)

And that's a thing that pissed me off re the old Devs.  Let's build a city zone that is frikkin great...and then blow it up.

That do you mean "blow it up"?

Did the battle damage it at some point?

Not even a possibility of a rebuild like is happening with Faultline/New Overbrook, just gone.

Are you talking about Galaxy City?!

I miss that too.

Wait, are they repairing Faultline?!

So, lazily thrown together as an overall map?

Yes. Entire sequel map divided into rectangles that gains difficulty as you move from one side of the map to the other is pretty lazy map design in my point of view. 

The rectangle of the entirety of the map is divided into rectangular zones which are each independent island. 

Here is Paragon City's map from the box

400px-Citymap-i26.jpg

Rogue Isles

350px-CoV_Map.jpg

I can't find an image of the box map for Going Rogue show how Praetoria was divided on that, but it can sort of be seen by looking at these images.

300px-Praetoria_ingamemap.jpg

From right to left as level advances

Nova_Praetoria_VidiotMap.png

Imperial_City_VidiotMap.png

... and I'm pretty sure on the box map that Neuropoliz was divided into two zone splitting with the bridges connecting the the two islands. Note how the difficulty changes as you cross the bridge.

Neutropolis_VidiotMap.png

Compared to the maps for City of Heroes and City of Villains, the map for Going Rogue is pretty lazy map design.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

3 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

There is a map of Praetoria as a whole. 

As I recall, it is basically divided into rectangles and increases in difficulty with each time that you move in the same direction.

Paragon City nor Rogue Isles are laid out in this manner. Sure the lower level zones connect to the next higher level zones, etc. but it isn't moving from left to right along the map. It seems to be very lazy design to me.

They were done at the highest level of graphics that were done in the game, so they have the most "polish" due to the graphics level when it was built. (You can even see graphic level advancements in CoV for that matter)

Praetoria apparently hasn't been damaged by a Rikti invasion and were rebuilt with all the newest construction techniques. Do they even get Rikti Raids over there?

Heck, the place is so dystopian that even the sewers are wide open spaces and squeaky clean thanks to clockwork and other automations. (I hear they stick you in an isocube for a 10 years if you drop a bubble gum wrapper in the sewers ... it's 100 years if they catch you throwing your used bubble gum on sidewalks on the streets above!)

That do you mean "blow it up"?

Did the battle damage it at some point?

Are you talking about Galaxy City?!

I miss that too.

Wait, are they repairing Faultline?!

Yes. Entire sequel map divided into rectangles that gains difficulty as you move from one side of the map to the other is pretty lazy map design in my point of view. 

The rectangle of the entirety of the map is divided into rectangular zones which are each independent island. 

Here is Paragon City's map from the box

400px-Citymap-i26.jpg

Rogue Isles

350px-CoV_Map.jpg

I can't find an image of the box map for Going Rogue show how Praetoria was divided on that, but it can sort of be seen by looking at these images.

300px-Praetoria_ingamemap.jpg

From right to left as level advances

Nova_Praetoria_VidiotMap.png

Imperial_City_VidiotMap.png

... and I'm pretty sure on the box map that Neuropoliz was divided into two zone splitting with the bridges connecting the the two islands. Note how the difficulty changes as you cross the bridge.

Neutropolis_VidiotMap.png

Compared to the maps for City of Heroes and City of Villains, the map for Going Rogue is pretty lazy map design.

Well, thanks for the response. As you can probably predict I mostly don't agree with you, but to each their own.

A few things. Praetoria doesn't actually have sewers, the Underground is actually nuclear bunkers that have been converted.

Blow it up?  Well, post the Praetorian War, and specifically the Mag iTrial, the place in "the present" is completely unavailable to players.  There isn't even a chance to visit it like the much maligned Galaxy City tutorial.

As you can see this is Nova Praetoria "now", as opposed to what we get going through the TUNNEL system. So what I mean by that is the old Devs left us with the stupid choice that future stories in the newest and best looking part of the game simply wouldn't happen.  Just bizarre.

Repairing Faultline?  Well compare Echo Faultline to Faultline, with its addition of New Overbrook.  There was a definite move towards repair and advancing the timeline there.

260786748_screenshot_200923-01-58-33-Copy.thumb.jpg.542d3a6fa3f71ae9441f660c231df03c.jpg

As for the totality of the map?  Well, again the lore behind that is that it's entirely artifically created islands, with certain areas getting more security and "gentrification" and reflecting that in danger levels.  Again, Dev choices but no more than deciding to make any area a higher danger level.  YMMV and obviously does.  

Edited by Darmian

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

My biggest issue with Praetoria is the attempt to soften Tyrant's image. To make him look like a benevolent fascist dictator when he's really no better than Reichsman or Lord Recluse.

We know from the NCSoft moba game that they were planning on giving "Emperor" Cole a face-turn after he nuked Praetoria (killing thousands at a minimum) in the Magisterium Trial; and that he was going to become the new Statesman in Primal Earth; presumably to help [lead the fight / make hard choices / continue being a monster] against the Battalion in Kallisti Warf. 100% redeemed, truly worthy of being the new Statesman.

So of course the first thing he does is build a giant megalomaniacal tower in Khalisti Warf complete with a giant statue of Marcus Cole in front of it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PoptartsNinja said:

My biggest issue with Praetoria is the attempt to soften Tyrant's image. To make him look like a benevolent fascist dictator when he's really no better than Reichsman or Lord Recluse.

We know from the NCSoft moba game that they were planning on giving "Emperor" Cole a face-turn after he nuked Praetoria (killing thousands at a minimum) in the Magisterium Trial; and that he was going to become the new Statesman in Primal Earth; presumably to help [lead the fight / make hard choices / continue being a monster] against the Battalion in Kallisti Warf. 100% redeemed, truly worthy of being the new Statesman.

So of course the first thing he does is build a giant megalomaniacal tower in Khalisti Warf complete with a giant statue of Marcus Cole in front of it.

The face turn was IMO crap.  However, the so-called benevolence of Tyrant is exactly that, so-called.  Cole is actually a more interesting character because of how he became Tyrant, rather than "EVIL STATESMAN, RARR!" So, no, not an attempt to soften his image, just add reasons why decent Praetorians would have fought for Praetoria, even beyond the propaganda and Enriche.

Statesman himself, and Lord Recluse, could have very much benefitted from similar treatment in game.  I've read the novels and have regard for both of the characters due to them, but most players don't have that option.  

Also, WHO built the giant statue in KW?  Are you saying Tyrant is responsible for that?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Darmian said:

There isn't even a chance to visit it like the much maligned Galaxy City tutorial.

The Galaxy tutorial isn't on the Galaxy City map.

You can only go to the old Galaxy City by visiting it's Echo.

40 minutes ago, Darmian said:

Well, post the Praetorian War, and specifically the Mag iTrial, the place in "the present" is completely unavailable to players.

Was it ever available to players?

40 minutes ago, Darmian said:

future stories in the newest and best looking part of the game simply wouldn't happen.  Just bizarre.

Other than that map that I posted, there are 2 more Praetorian zones. They are First Ward and Night Ward, and that is where the leveling path goes to from the Praetorian Islands.

Though it is the newest and graphically most advanced zones of the game, I don't think they are the best looking.

48 minutes ago, Darmian said:

As for the totality of the map?  Well, again the lore behind that is that it's entirely artifically created islands, with certain areas getting more security and "gentrification" and reflecting that in danger levels.  Again, Dev choices but no more than deciding to make any area a higher danger level.  YMMV and obviously does.  

There are different levels of difficulty on other maps and they are a bunch of rectangles like dominos placed side to side to each other. It's lazy.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

The Galaxy tutorial isn't on the Galaxy City map.

No, it isn't. And Faultline isn't Echo Faultline. But the tutorial map is still Galaxy City and New Faultline is still Faultline.  I think we're talking about two different things here.  I'm speaking of the place narratively and you're obviously not.

4 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Was it ever available to players?

If you played Gold side, then yes, and then it was taken away from you.  But that wasn't the point I was making.  

5 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Other than that map that I posted, there are 2 more Praetorian zones. They are First Ward and Night Ward, and that is where the leveling path goes to from the Praetorian Islands.

Well spotted!  Plenty of people don't know that and just leave at 20 for Primal.  And then "come back".  For me it's a more interesting route to not leave and go straight to First Ward.

However, all of Praetoria is closed off in the "present". And the "present" is post the Praetorian War/New Praetorians/Mr. G.

There's no proper advancement of plot at all in any of the zones. And my point on that was simply that when you have gone to the bother to make these lovely new zones, to then narratively destroy them or access to them is bizarre.

10 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Though it is the newest and graphically most advanced zones of the game, I don't think they are the best looking.

Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.  Personally I think they are.  Potayto/Potahto.

11 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

There are different levels of difficulty on other maps and they are a bunch of rectangles like dominos placed side to side to each other. It's lazy.

You think it's lazy, again that's your take.  Fine. 

7 hours ago, Darmian said:

I'm speaking of the place narratively and you're obviously not.

Correct.

I'm talking about the previously existing Galaxy City that was removed from the game in order to funnel new players into a single starting zone on the hero side.

If you played Gold side, then yes, and then it was taken away from you.  But that wasn't the point I was making.  

I did play the Praetorian content. I didn't like it. I didn't stay in it very long.

And I stopped subscribing a year before the sunset and didn't play any more until Homecoming was open to the public.

Honestly, the focus on the Praetorian content was one of the factors involved with me dropping my subscription. It wasn't as great of a reason as other issues I had with what was going on in the game and in game development at the time.

I know it wasn't the point that you were making, but I had not heard of it, so I didn't know if it was internal to some mission/task force content or if it was an actual city zone.

Thanks for answering that question.

So, in fact, it was removed from the game like what happened to Galaxy City.

However, all of Praetoria is closed off in the "present". And the "present" is post the Praetorian War/New Praetorians/Mr. G.

I guess this may be in your characters timeline. Every character's timeline is different. When a character leads a team, everyone is drawn into their timeline.

Or I don't understand what you are talking about as clearly players can create characters and start off in Praetoria. I also hear that there is that sewer network that can be used to travel to it (how a sewer network takes you to a parallel world? I have no idea).

There's no proper advancement of plot at all in any of the zones. And my point on that was simply that when you have gone to the bother to make these lovely new zones, to then narratively destroy them or access to them is bizarre.

I haven't played through either First Ward or Night Ward far enough on any character to run a mission where they are destroyed.

I thought I had played pretty far into it, but maybe not.

Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.  Personally I think they are. 

Yep. We have clearly both stated our opinions on that point.

The things we obviously have disagree on, we have both made our points.

If you have information on the other stuff, I would be glad to hear it/discuss it as you are more knowledgeable on the Praetorian stuff than I am.

I posted my views. That is what this thread was started for.

Discussions to me aren't about agreeing or disagreeing on something. It's about providing opinions and the reasons why you have those opinions and sharing information.

The point of asking a question in a discussion shouldn't be to an attack others in a discussion. Asking questions in a civil discussion should be because you think the other person can answer the questions or maybe just hope that they or someone else can.

You have answered many of my questions and some have lead to other questions on my part.

Some have lead to confusion. Unfortunately, that's bound to happen.

Edited by UltraAlt
fixed a badly constructed sentence
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/9/2022 at 9:54 AM, twozerofoxtrot said:

I do wish that trainers/icon npcs/etc didn't reject goldsider characters with their "I don't talk to people from other dimensions" dialog.

Even a native Praetorian doesn't talk to a gold side character:

oMMafcM.jpg

Outrageous!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think of Praetoria as basically CoH 2.  It's an upgraded version of the original game after the Dev's learned from all their mistakes is CoH and CoV.  It's really better in basically every way except player population.  Although in correcting their original mistakes, they did make a few new ones.

My biggest gripe is that the stories, while really well done, also smell too much of "Godmodding."  I love the fact that they wrote very morally ambiguous stories.  I also hate the fact that in doing so they force the player to be ignorantly fooled into helping contacts who are obviously lying to carry out their schemes.  It doesn't matter that I can tell the contact is lying.  I can see that they're going end up evil or doing harm, but I still have to help them with their plot to open up the next story arc.  While these complex plots make for a few good stories, I'm not convinced they make for good roleplay.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

2 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

I think of Praetoria as basically CoH 2.  It's an upgraded version of the original game after the Dev's learned from all their mistakes is CoH and CoV.  It's really better in basically every way except player population.  Although in correcting their original mistakes, they did make a few new ones.

My biggest gripe is that the stories, while really well done, also smell too much of "Godmodding."  I love the fact that they wrote very morally ambiguous stories.  I also hate the fact that in doing so they force the player to be ignorantly fooled into helping contacts who are obviously lying to carry out their schemes.  It doesn't matter that I can tell the contact is lying.  I can see that they're going end up evil or doing harm, but I still have to help them with their plot to open up the next story arc.  While these complex plots make for a few good stories, I'm not convinced they make for good roleplay.

Definitely not a CoH 2. Or I hope that wasn't the idea. It's the same old with minor adjustments and tweaks.

16 minutes ago, BurtHutt said:

Definitely not a CoH 2. Or I hope that wasn't the idea. It's the same old with minor adjustments and tweaks.

In a way it was.  Shortly after the leak of the "secret" server in April 2019, documents for a proposed City of Heroes 2 using Unreal Engine 3 by Paragon Studios submitted to NCsoft back in 2008 leaked.  Strangely enough, it looked a lot like Going Rogue, including the Destroyers mob group.  NCSoft eventually rejected the proposal for CoH 2, and I very strongly suspect that a lot of the ideas Paragon Studios had for it were repurposed into the Going Rogue expansion.  At least as much as the aging Cryptic engine allowed.

On 11/10/2022 at 10:19 AM, UltraAlt said:

I guess this may be in your characters timeline. Every character's timeline is different. When a character leads a team, everyone is drawn into their timeline.

Or I don't understand what you are talking about as clearly players can create characters and start off in Praetoria. I also hear that there is that sewer network that can be used to travel to it (how a sewer network takes you to a parallel world? I have no idea).

Character timelines are situational to what they have and have not done obviously.  But the latest point in absolute terms (someone jump in and correct me on this if I've got it wrong) in the overall game timeline, is just at the end of Mr. G and Marchand's arcs. 

The sewer network?  You may be thinking of the Underground.  And no, you're not going to a parallel world via the Underground since the entrance to First Ward via the Underground is through Imperial City, so you're just going from one part of Praetoria to another part of Praetoria.

Edited by Darmian

But the latest point in absolute terms (someone jump in a correct me on this if I've got it wrong) in the overall game timeline, is just at the end of Mr. G and Marchand's arcs. 

I have no idea either way.

Thanks for the info

• Thumbs Up 1

There's been some great conversation about Praetoria this round. Personally I enjoy the branching choices, difficulty of the NPCs, and overall design.

I've taken two characters from 1-50 goldside, my most recent was an elec/ice tanker, otherwise I've taken several others through the rift once they had the option.

If I could redesign a bit, I'd want to stretch the contacts XP range so people don't out level contacts just running the story arcs, allow for some further story arcs after you take the rift to primal earth to maybe bring back a strike force to put down the resistance or fight the power and try to strike a blow to Emperor Cole's rule. I also like the idea of gold side TFs and being able to access Ouroboros.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I haven't spent hardly any time there since it debuted.  I found it awfully tough to start new characters over there, and from time to time still find myself getting dropped within a couple of seconds by some of the bad guys there who show up in later blueside content or whatever.  "Tough" is one thing, "getting ganked" is another and just not that much fun.  It did look fantastic though (I've been back for a couple of those Valentine things, with toons who were high level) and I liked some of the ideas in it, but I don't think I'll ever start another toon there.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

The whole loyalist/resistance alignment in Praetoria is just putrid. I often see no distinction between the two. You're a villain either way. 

But, I do enjoy the look of the zones. I like the brevity of the story arcs. To me, the only things missing are a GM or two, access to blue and red side for exploration badges, if nothing else, and a task force. 

It doesn't make sense that a level 1 hero can hop over to gold side, but the reverse is not true. Mind you, I'm not suggesting that blue/red shouldn't be able to travel there, but it's quite silly to preclude gold from visiting the other areas. My main reason for finding it silly discounts the lore. There are only 8 gold zones, and two of them are 20+. So, that's a cap of 40 reward merits for a newer player trying to make some influence. Granted, it's a blessing to get any reward merits for exploration accolades, but for me, the reason 90% of my characters start blue is because of the huge number of opportunities for those easy reward merits at the early levels. 

Zip over to PD, switch from hero to vig at level 4, and use SS and a jet pack to get 
Atlas, Echo:Atlas, Echo:Galaxy, Kings Row, Mercy, Nova Praetoria, Underground Nova. 

It's just a lot more opportunity for easy merits for a vig/rogue than there is for a Praetorian. And that's at level 4. The sheer number of zones available continues to be lopsided. 

Now, I don't expect for new zones to be developed to make things equitable. I don't expect a gold sider to actually run blue side content. But they should be able to move around and grab the explores, the day jobs - that kind of thing. Otherwise, what's the motivation to make a gold sider? We can simply do that content at level 15 as a vig/rogue and have a much easier time of things, and certainly have an easier time of generating influence if that's what's needed. 

As stated, I discounted lore/story reasons. It makes sense that a character can't zip between alternate worlds/dimensions for the praetorians, but it seems to me that if primal world has the tech to zip to praetoria, and we know the reverse should also be true, why not? 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/11/2022 at 12:21 PM, SeraphimKensai said:

There's been some great conversation about Praetoria this round. Personally I enjoy the branching choices, difficulty of the NPCs, and overall design.

I've taken two characters from 1-50 goldside, my most recent was an elec/ice tanker, otherwise I've taken several others through the rift once they had the option.

If I could redesign a bit, I'd want to stretch the contacts XP range so people don't out level contacts just running the story arcs, allow for some further story arcs after you take the rift to primal earth to maybe bring back a strike force to put down the resistance or fight the power and try to strike a blow to Emperor Cole's rule. I also like the idea of gold side TFs and being able to access Ouroboros.

I've got a character goldside, and I'd like to keep them there, but I was under the impression the content capped out at 40?

1 hour ago, Arcalian said:

I've got a character goldside, and I'd like to keep them there, but I was under the impression the content capped out at 40?

You can do some repeatable mission contacts, which is basically like radios, do the SBB in pocket D, or AE content. There's a wealth of AE content that isn't actually farms that can keep you entertained, but keeping a character as a praetorian can limit your options.

On 11/8/2022 at 12:12 PM, SeraphimKensai said:

What has your experience been with gold side?

I really like the Story Arcs. There's definitely points where I want more choices offered.  There's definitely points if i was actually my character I'd do things differently. But compared to all the story arcs from Blueside and Redside, I thought it was a strong improvement. The downside is you basically have to solo them, and even then not set your difficulty too high, unless you are willing to disable XP, or you can very easily outlevel several contacts and ding 20 while feeling like you barely scratched the surface. 

I tend to do 2 or 3 alignment storylines in each of the three 1-20 zones for my goldsiders. And yes, that absolutely means I disable XP immeditately upon dinging 9, 14, and 19. Sometims at 8 and 13, if I care about all the "introduction" missions. 

I think it's deeply unfortunate that NCSoft designed certain NPC's who are mission contacts to vanish from the game after a conflicting alignment arc. That's just bad design. Have them vanish from their normal location, sure, but have them available in a prison somewhere, or a safehouse, something!

All in all, I very much prefer goldside to blue. Maybe some of it is the darker grittier feel of the world speaks to me. Maybe some of it is being sick to death of running classic TF's, or Radio missions. 

Do you prefer resistance or loyalist?

That's lumping things together too much, I think.  There's Power, Responsibility, Warden, and Crusader. 

• Responsibilty and Warden are the easiest to handle RP wise.  At least for me. When you're just someone trying to get through the day and do what you think is the "right" thing. Maybe you don't like Cole, but decide he's better than the Devouring Earth.  Maybe you want Cole gone, but realize humanity can't afford many more losses on this world. 
  • Power is next easiest. It's not hard to imagine sociopathic ladder climbers who will happily cut down anyone else they think might be a threat to them, or just because they like being a bully. Not my favorite characters to imagine, but not difficult, either.
  • Crusader are the ones I have real problems trying mentally see their world through their eyes.  Where they're so focused on tearing the world down, while a huge Devouring Earth presence is OUT THERE, and they have ZERO PLAN for how to deal with that after they knock down Cole.  I cannot really consider them anything but partially mentally damaged. 

I also definitely wish there was a ground-breaking change for how certain NPCs reacted to the idea of another world accessable by portal.  You'd think a lot of people would be ecstatic to know Humanity is not at the brink of extinction, there are more of us out there. I imagine many would want to get young kids out to Primal Earth, even if they wanted to stay behind and try to break Hamidon. But it's barely made noise of. 

Praetor Power Pool arcs at lvl 35 similar to villain patron pool unlocks?

I would not object to these as long as something similar were created for people would in theory should be Kill-On-Sight for most Praetors. Ie, you can't talk to Cole or his Praetors, but someone like Blind Makwa, or a post-corporeal spirt form of Vanessa De Vore, might be willing to teach you a few tricks.... provided you'd done the relevant content leading up to them. Still. Personally?  I would never use them.  My characters get thier powers from themselves, I have no use for hand-me-down tricks from Black Scorpion, or Captain Mako. It does not matter one bit how much min-max combat numbers benefit there may be to Scorpion Shield. I will never use it, on any character, and never have. I'll do the arcs for badges and fun. But I'll never use Patron Pools in any respec.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arcalian said:

I was under the impression the content capped out at 40

Gold side toons are not capped in a general sense, but after Lv.20, there are only a few contents available for them.

• One Lv.50 Incarnate content (The Emperor's Sword) is available from Pillar of Ice and Flame in your SG, but not Ouroboros.
  • There are repeatable missions in Praetoria, First Ward, and Night Ward, but your toon will eventually out-level them.
  • Passive accolade powers will be unavailable, aside from long-range teleportation.