Excelsior and Indomitable

Astralock

I'll say it.  I have no idea why they made more then 1 server.  I'm sure there are lots of "reasons" but none that aren't be easily overcome.

• Like 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

<----this is the only guy I have left on Indom. I moved all the other ones to other servers.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

12 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

I'll say it.  I have no idea why they made more then 1 server.  I'm sure there are lots of "reasons" but none that aren't be easily overcome.

Because the CoH server software cannot handle more than 2,500 accounts concurrently.  You can throw a supercomputer’s hardware at it, it just doesn’t matter.  For the first five months or so of Homecoming, we were at or near 10,000 concurrent accounts during peak hours.  That demanded a minimum of four shards.  That’s why we have five shards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumbs Up 2

52 minutes ago, Techwright said:

I actually kind of like this.  It would be kind of neat to have Atlas Park vacant for a bit, and Maurader overwhelming his sweetie with numerous FTD runs.

Pick more flowers you Gold Mooks!

• Haha 4

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

3 hours ago, High_Beam said:

Pick more flowers you Gold Mooks!

Task Force Algernon is on it!

• Haha 6

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Quit trying to label servers.

Calling Indom the PvP server is one of the factors (in my opinion) that led to people transferring in the first place. The avalanche followed. "It is too late for the pebble to vote."

Every style of play is available on every server. RP, PvP, soloing, red side, gold side, theme teaming, costume blinging, farming... Keep your labels to yourself.

Indom is Indom. It's a nice, quiet neighborhood. Lots of vacancy for folks to move back to. Some really good players call Indom home. Stellar players.

And quit suggesting servers be merged too.

• Thumbs Up 8

17 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

I'd usually be all for 1 server but even besides Astralock's explanation I feel like it wouldn't make sense to literally have only 1.

You can easily talk me into 2 though. And I'd def be a proponent of combining two current servers but nobody is asking for that. Of course you would have char name issues and such.

That said Live never combined servers unless I'm mistaken? NGL I kinda wish they had though at a certain point.

Indomitable & Torchbearer might make more sense to combine. Call it Justice.

• Thumbs Down 5

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Any action which results in literally the first HC server vanishing is a bad call. I'd rather see Excelsior get renamed to Torchbearer than see Torch wink out of existence. 

And there's no reason to force servers to merge or close. None at all. It's a non-issue with transfers as they exist.  And a host of issues such as SG Bases and held names are immediately created for the HC volunteer team to have to deal with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

And there's no reason to force servers to merge or close.

This is very true.  While I see no value in having multiple servers, also see no value in shutting down a server that's already up. 

I think there's no question crowded servers are more fun.  It's not like you can't just pop into a solo mission and turn off chats to play in solitude.  But you can't always find a team when you want one on an empty server.  And since we have the ability to move servers, we can always get our preferred toons to our preferred servers without having to remake them.  

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

On 11/11/2022 at 1:57 AM, CR Americas Angel said:

Indom's pretty much the farming server these days.

Since there are more people on Excelsior than any other server, and that tends to draw people who then end up making farmers, tending to keep them on the same server for at the very least alt farming in addition or recipe/influence farming, can you provide any statistical information that supports the claim that Indom is    The    farming server?

• Like 1

Excelsior has the most people, so Excelsior is going to have the most variety of play styles and themes.

Excelsior has become the everything server... which is what all the servers should be.

I agree with TraumaTrain above, stop putting labels on things.  People will do what they want and may end up making those labels obsolete or outright wrong.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, Krimson said:

We should merge Shards after we figure out how to keep names, Super Groups, and associated bases.

Number Six has made quite clear that that will never happen.  Running additional shards other than Reunion doesn't cost any additional funds as the four North American shards share the same hardware, and some people prefer playing on small shards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

My statement is still valid. It's possible that progress could be made on names, SG and Bases. I don't think it will happen, but it is possible. I think people would be more agreeable to having one Shard if the option for everyone to keep their stuff was present. 

I don't want lag though, that's why I play on Indomitable. Bringing all of the players together on one shard would make it Summer 2019 all over again. Queing to play this game is silly!

• Thumbs Up 4

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png