Excelsior and Indomitable

Astralock

1 hour ago, Disruptor said:

What they should really do is create Classic CoH like Classic WoW and have a Issue 1 Shard that progresses through each issue! 🤪

The problem with that is that there is no Issue 1 framework from which to build such a server since the iteration that our current servers are built upon was one of the last issues from live.

The HC devs would have to essentially reverse engineer..... extensively.... an issue build that would mimic but not quite exactly be an issue 1 build.  My assumption is that the amount of extensive work that would be involved would not equate to players that would stick with it once they realize how barren and exploitive it would be(mind you, I'd love to see 6 slot damage burn for giggles but then I'd not be inclined to stick around).  Let's remember that a significant amount of the game we play now both in terms of content, utility and options would be non existent on issue 1 and the novelty of it would wear off in weeks, I believe.

1 hour ago, Sanguinesun said:

The problem with that is that there is no Issue 1 framework from which to build such a server since the iteration that our current servers are built upon was one of the last issues from live.

yea im aware, playing older issues is likely never going to happen.

i was mostly joking although i genuinely do want to play i1 as it once was, i believe I joined the issue they added Hollows either i2 or i3 

On 11/11/2022 at 1:23 PM, TraumaTrain said:

Quit trying to label servers.

Just for that, I'm going to label servers.

Excelsior is the teaming server. Not that other servers do not form teams, but Excel is the only server where LFG pops at all hours of the day. Case in point, an MoUG launched at something like 2 am Pacific today. That's the power of Excel for you.

Excel also has a somewhat different pug culture from the other three. People tend to talk less, and focus on the fighting more. I used to view this negatively, because I am not a big fan of the soul-less modern MMO experience which can best be described as "being alone, together". Recently, however, I have come to appreciate it because frankly there are not a lot of people I want to talk to. The more efficient gameplay is a neat side bonus.

Note, however, that Excel players on the whole are not any better or skilled - any efficiency gains are merely because they spend time fighting rather than talking. As can be attested from the Lv 37 stalker and fire/therm corr who skipped both shields spotted in a 2* ITF, they are every bit as stupid as the average CoX player!

Everlasting (the dev who choose this somewhat cumbersome name will always regret passing up the chance to call it Eternal instead, I suspect) is the RP server. Not that RP does not happen on other servers, but Everlasting is the only one where you can go to Pocket D and find people hanging around the bar for you to chat up and cyber with. You will, somewhat occasionally, see people type in (( )) to indicate OOC, or give their LFG ad a little in-character flair, and I think it gives the server a kind of kitschy charm, like going to a theme park and seeing the employees dressed as mascots.

So Excel and Everlasting are, very very approximately, the Freedom and Virtue of yesteryear, with every other server being ghost towns as always. Beyond the above, any labels are probably not too accurate. People farm on every server. People beg to sit on every server. People do run content on every server. I can't speak to pvp specifically though.

As for merging servers, that should never happen, and not just because the current setup gives me 4x the chance to snag coveted names. It is always better to have more servers than fewer ones. Even beyond Homecoming itself, I want to see other private servers flourish and take the game in different directions. A multitude of separate communities, catering to many different audiences and playstyles, and creating a healthy competition among themselves to appeal to players, is the best future CoX can have. In game and IRL, diversity is strength.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Zect said:

....  Everlasting (the dev who choose this somewhat cumbersome name will always regret passing up the chance to call it Eternal instead, I suspect) ....

But then I wouldn't have been able to name my personal supergroup The Everlasting Gobstoppers... (yes I really did that) 🙂 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/11/2022 at 6:00 AM, Shred Monkey said:

I think there's no question crowded servers are more fun. 

I have a difference of opinion here.  The information is out there on what the different servers do well, so players who prefer a certain server are there because it serves their needs.  "More crowded" isn't appealing to everyone.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

Lets be clear, though.

Even at their most heavily used time of day AND time of year (seems people show up more often during holiday events), none of these servers match the populations of the Live servers.

So "more crowded" is extremely subjective. 

The flip side to that is, I'm not sure HC is running these on servers that match the hardware or bandwidth that NCSoft was using, so 100 people on Everlasting might be using the same server capacity PERCENTAGES that 1000 players placed on Freedom.  I'm not privy to the specs, so couldn't tell you if this is true or not, or to what degree. I do believe that HC dev team did 'downsize' the servers and network connections, as they are leased from a third party and thus they (like Liberty Biberty says) "Only Pay For What You Need". 

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

On 11/11/2022 at 6:23 AM, TraumaTrain said:

Every style of play is available on every server. RP, PvP, soloing, red side, gold side, theme teaming, costume blinging, farming... Keep your labels to yourself.

Well, I would totally second the notion of Indom being the Theme Teaming server! 😎

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

That incident involving a nuclear accelerator and a banana… You know… I REALLY don't wanna talk about it!

On 11/14/2022 at 10:14 PM, twozerofoxtrot said:

So we don't have to speedrun everything in wordless murderhobo teams.

And catgirls in Pocket D.

When I'm on Everlasting it feels like I'm back in '09. Catgirl Demon whatever else hybrids galore. The team banter to me was always campy, but at least it was there.

I do prefer Excel now though, much better teaming options for a variety of content as opposed to the SAME blueside TFs or the SAME itrials OVER AND OVE-

*ahem*

Everlasting has its' appeal though, for those who like the RP scene.

Edited by Seed22
  • Haha 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 11/10/2022 at 10:57 AM, CR Americas Angel said:

Indom's pretty much the farming server these days.

Indom is the Wyoming of HC.

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

3 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Indom is the Wyoming Montana of HC.

Fixed it for you.

I'm okay with being Montana as long as Excel is okay with being Florida.

• Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Indom is the Wyoming of HC.

Moooovin' to Montana sooon... gonna be a dental floss tycooon.... 

• Haha 2

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

4 hours ago, Troo said:

Fixed it for you.

I'm okay with being Montana as long as Excel is okay with being Florida.

I-hm. Crazy random BS at the most inopportune time. Yeah that's...that's sometimes Flori-I mean-Excel.