Why all the security checks?

Erratic1

Homecoming's network/webhost provider noted that "bad actor" traffic was increasing, so the HC site admin turned on an option to block it. 

Honestly, when I first saw these, I though maybe my ISP was to blame, or perhaps the VPN I use or even malware had gotten installed on my system despite my best efforts.  So I was checking all manner of things at the client end, none of which made the 'checks' stop.   This is probably due to my previous life as tech support - unless there's something posted that says "we have a systems issue" you always start with "find the client issue".  Cipher's response (quoted upthread) made me feel a lot less paranoid.  

• Like 2

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

4 minutes ago, MistressOhm said:

I though maybe my ISP was to blame

Yeah... I thought there was something on my end, too.  I'm actually happy to know it's not that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

7 minutes ago, TheOtherTed said:

I'm wondering if it's some sort of blanket attack.

What kind of horrible person attacks blankets?

Do you think they're going after comforters, too?  😱

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

11 minutes ago, TheOtherTed said:

I'm wondering if it's some sort of blanket attack.  For a week or two, almost everything I log in to has been challenging me to verify that I'm me.  I also can't help but notice that all this activity coincides with the lead-up to the U.S. midterm elections.

While I generally like to avoid politics....I am not going to here.

I believe over the last few years "information wars" are surging back and forth across the web as governments, their agents, profiteers, and random self selected cheerleaders all go about trying to influence world group think.   

Which really makes me want to solo Redside again.  Damn, that writing is spot on.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, TheOtherTed said:

I'm wondering if it's some sort of blanket attack.  For a week or two, almost everything I log in to has been challenging me to verify that I'm me.  I also can't help but notice that all this activity coincides with the lead-up to the U.S. midterm elections.

Or it could be that many sites use the same security providers, such as Cloudflare, and they decided to implement tighter security based upon some other metric they're using...

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Snarky said:

I believe over the last few years "information wars" are surging back and forth across the web as governments, their agents, profiteers, and random self selected cheerleaders all go about trying to influence world group think.

Whenever I go to the comments section on any YouTube news broadcast, I ask myself, does this comment sound like something an actual thinking breathing human being believes?  Or is this what a rival government wants me to think people believe.  The practice of stopping to truly ask myself this question has altered my view of many things.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

19 hours ago, Snarky said:

The scary part is, two decades ago I'd have dismissed this as pure CT.   A decade ago I'd have handwaved it off as possible, but not likely.  Now?  I think you're spot-on.   

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

On 11/10/2022 at 3:59 PM, Luminara said:

200.gif.0551f0b8412269559870b1352fac0e5e.gif

Thats not a vampire

thats me laughing at snarky 😸

• Haha 2

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

1 hour ago, MistressOhm said:

The scary part is, two decades ago I'd have dismissed this as pure CT.   A decade ago I'd have handwaved it off as possible, but not likely.  Now?  I think you're spot-on.   

in 50 years people will herald me as the super genius that could have saved the planet if people had listened.

i am wise enough not to go around talking about this.  people on this planet do violent things to those that stand out as visionary

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1