Open Club  ·  40 members

PC Builders

Cheap prebuilts that can ROCK CoH!

Hyperstrike

I generally have a parts list for people looking to build a so-called "bare bones" rig that rages CoH.

One thing I've avoided is that there are PREBUILTS that actually have a nearly identical layout.

Ryzen 5 5600G  Hex-Core CPU
8GB RAM (BARE MINIMUM, recommend bumping to 16GB when money allows)
500/512 GB SSD (recommend bumping to 1TB to extend lifespan of the drive, and you can use the 512 as additional cold storage)

These builds use the IGPU on the 5600G's die.

And these are MicroCenter systems.  So if you're risk averse, you have a location that can service you.  And their warranty ROCKS.

https://tinyurl.com/Ryzen5-5600G-Boxes

$560+tax/warranty/etc.

Now, if you're running lots of VMs. SQL server, etc.  Any business computer-heavy loads, these are NOT the machines you want.
But as the baseline for a general productivity/gaming box, this is BIGTIME bang for the buck.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• 4 months later

Been using one of these as a 2nd system to play on.  https://www.amazon.com/TRIGKEY-Mini-Computer-PC-Graphics/dp/B0BCVLFQQ4

It's a NUC clone using AMD Ryzen instead of Intel.  Cost varies if they're on sale or not, but generally a decent one can be had for $300-400 to game on.

Pros: NUCs and NUC clones are super portable.  If you have room to take a Nintendo Switch around on trips, this is just as able to travel with you to plug into a Hotel room TV, just BYO Bluetooth keyboard and Mouse.  Unlike most laptops, these can be upgraded in RAM, Wi-Fi, and M.2 Storage.  This one also has a slot for a SATA 2.5" drive for additional data storage past the M.2 drive it comes with. And for the price, a similarly equipped laptop would be on the low end for graphics/processor. ($400 for a laptop is looking at a Ryzen 3 and likely 4-8GB RAM.)  The gaming capability is a touch oversold in the marketing material, most AAA games, FPS and eSports titles will need the resolution turned down to FHD or 720.  For MMO titles, however, it runs great.

Cons: It's... not a laptop. Even if it is basically laptop parts in a tiny box. So if you don't have a screen and AC Jack, you're out of luck.  The prior post is a better choice for graphics upgrades, which isn't a possibility here (System on a Chip - Ryzen CPU and Radeon graphics soldered to the board.)  And some Intel fans will deride the AMD versions of the same thing as inferior build quality or questionable brands.  Both Intel and all of the AMD ones are made in China anyway, so the distinction of quality is a bit silly. And only enthusiasts go for these, so if the warranty is important, you won't look at one of these to begin with.  If you fix your own stuff, cause "PC Builders", you have a good chance of being a self-support type.

Trigkey is the same label as Beelink, they both have the same manufacturer.  Minisforum also sells these (their Kickstarter for AMD versions of the NUC is what touched this off to begin with.)

Finally: some shopping advice -- AMD laptops and NUC clones are on older Zen architectures at the moment waiting for a refresh.  Zen+ and Zen 2 NUC Clones can be had for cheap, and still support Windows 11.  Zen 3 models, the price will be a bit higher (because they'll last longer and possible have Win 12 in their future).  If you look, you can find a Ryzen 5 for $250-300 if you don't mind either a Windows 10 one, or feel froggy enough to put Linux on it instead.  Watch the specs carefully, the low end (Sub $200) may be in unplayable territory (Intel GMA or low end Iris graphics, or AMD E-Series processors pre-Vega.)

Edited by uninventive

I am not a chat bot, I think.  I just drink a lot of caffeine and type too damn much.

Coming back to Homecoming?  Welcome home!  Here’s a Field Guide!

• 3 months later

Looks like Intel is giving up on NUCs.  (Mostly the bottom line, niche market interest as PC sales slump.) Probably just as well as they sit in-between the Laptop and Desktop form factor except in the "wrong" way.  SFF's are popular with businesses where space is at a premium or keeping computers out of the way makes sense.  But for home use, a Laptop makes SFF computers difficult to consider even if they work well. 

Ignoring gaming for a sec: Raspberry Pi and other SBCs buck this trend because of the super low cost without terrible performance. The Windows 10 System on a Sticks in the mid 2010s ran worse than Netbooks. Cheap NUCs at that $100 price point do a bit better than that these days. But no Integrated Graphics support past video playback/2D stuff means you're spending $300-500 on one that has Radeon Vega or Intel Xe included. Which returns to "why not just get a cheap laptop at $50-100 more?"

(I'm aiming for the low end per the OP topic.  Ghost/Beast Canyon NUCs that can slot PCI-Ex 16 cards were never affordable to begin with.)

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1989175

Inactive account.  For current info, see GM_Tock.

1 hour ago, Tock said:

Looks like Intel is giving up on NUCs.  (Mostly the bottom line, niche market interest as PC sales slump.) Probably just as well as they sit in-between the Laptop and Desktop form factor except in the "wrong" way.  SFF's are popular with businesses where space is at a premium or keeping computers out of the way makes sense.  But for home use, a Laptop makes SFF computers difficult to consider even if they work well. 

Ignoring gaming for a sec: Raspberry Pi and other SBCs buck this trend because of the super low cost without terrible performance. The Windows 10 System on a Sticks in the mid 2010s ran worse than Netbooks. Cheap NUCs at that $100 price point do a bit better than that these days. But no Integrated Graphics support past video playback/2D stuff means you're spending $300-500 on one that has Radeon Vega or Intel Xe included. Which returns to "why not just get a cheap laptop at $50-100 more?"

(I'm aiming for the low end per the OP topic.  Ghost/Beast Canyon NUCs that can slot PCI-Ex 16 cards were never affordable to begin with.)

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1989175

I can get behind the NUC for one reason.

I can use desktop-grade peripherals.

Most laptop-grade keyboards SUCK SYPHILITIC DONKEY WANG.
(And NO, I will NOT tell you how I REALLY feel.)
For prolonged use, I prefer the NUC format.
On top of that, its portable nature allows for true single machine continuity.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• 2 weeks later