I oddly enjoy street sweeping in door missions but not actual street sweeping

DougGraves

Been soloing redside.  There are several missions being sent to Paragon City.  They are outdoor maps with objectives like kidnap people or place bombs.  But they are set up with longbow and/or police - but then also have the regular gang spawns such as hellions, skulls, and clockwork.

I enjoy those missions and like the variety of suddenly finding some hellions instead of Longbow to fight.

But I don't like just street sweeping.  Even missions that assign street sweeping.

I wonder if it is the difficulty in finding the right enemies at the right level with street sweeping (not a problem in the door missions)?  Especially with all of the zone revamps it can be really hard to find some villain groups in the assigned zones.

33 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I think the OG End Game Zones, Peregrine Island and Grandville, should have level 51-54 mobs.

Disagree. Characters lvl 45-50 need to be able to do their missions without already being incarnates.  That said, if they want to do it to areas well off the beaten path .... I'm thinking the huge Arachnos manufacturing facility north of Grandville proper. Hey sure. That'll never interfere with anyone levelling.  Peregrine, I'm not sure has enough similar real estate. There is the Monster Island, but I think people would want that left as is. 

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

Right now, if you want to street sweep high level mobs, you need to be in Dark Astoria, The Rikti War Zone, or Cimerora. 

What’s wrong with that? Characters with that level of power should be looking for extraterrestrial forces to do battle with, not fighting random thugs on the street who also happen to have godlike powers.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

I like street sweeping too. My problem is usually that you just cannot find the same mob density outside as you do inside a mission. A perfect example for me would be the Cap Au Diable factory map that's used in missions like Stop Rikti Bombing. I love the layout of that map so much, but I can't find x8 spawns in the same area outdoors.

Hazard zones almost get there in mob density. But this is not me advocating for open zones to have the same spawn size as hazard zones. I can see how that could cause issues in the lower level zones.

I could be imagining this, but don't outdoor spawns have a chance to increase in size if there's a lot of sweeping being done in the area? If not, they should. That would be dope.

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

7 hours ago, Krimson said:

I'm not quite sure what the opposition to higher level mobs in PI or Grandville would be.

Story-wise, when you’re level 50, you are facing cosmic level threats, aliens, invasions from other dimensions, time travel, stuff like that. Threats from outside Earth. It cheapens the idea of beyond-max-level enemies if they’re just loitering around city zones.

There may also be technical or design reasons why the incarnate content is segregated: gating the content from under-50, setting up the level shifts for incarnate content, adding to the zone load-in with additional mobs, or whatever. I wouldn’t assume it’s just a matter of tossing some guys on the map and calling it a day.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

35 minutes ago, Krimson said:

But no one bats an eye when a tank pulls 3 or 4 Giant DE into the Portal Corp parking lot, because getting a rock to swim a mile has so much verisimilitude.

I'm not sure how this bolsters your argument that more absurdity is the solution.

• Thumbs Up 1

Street sweeping is one of those area I've always felt lacked something to hold attention.  I'm not happy about that, and I'm really wishing I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure what the solution to that might be.  In games like WoW, street sweeping is essentially roaming the fields targeting everything that can be fought and it is far more fun and rewarding than here.  Perhaps if there were nests of elites to fight through (the Freak village in Crey's Folly seems a natural place to put this) or a chance at truly rare drops, or perhaps even setting all to within 4 levels of the player's avatar, it might change how I look at it.  As it is, I get far more reward from running task forces, so why sweep? 

59 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Street sweeping is one of those area I've always felt lacked something to hold attention.  I'm not happy about that, and I'm really wishing I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure what the solution to that might be. 

In bank missions you get side missions from street sweeping.  And there is doorbell ringing for trick or treating.

You do get tips from street sweeping now to help with getting badges.  But it seems like they could add side missions or bonus rewards.

It would be cool if rescuing people got you a medium inspiration or salvage or something - so you would stop muggings and such.  But you should only get a reward if the foes are level appropriate.

On 11/14/2022 at 10:51 PM, MHertz said:

Story-wise, when you’re level 50, you are facing cosmic level threats, aliens, invasions from other dimensions, time travel, stuff like that. Threats from outside Earth. It cheapens the idea of beyond-max-level enemies if they’re just loitering around city zones.

There may also be technical or design reasons why the incarnate content is segregated: gating the content from under-50, setting up the level shifts for incarnate content, adding to the zone load-in with additional mobs, or whatever. I wouldn’t assume it’s just a matter of tossing some guys on the map and calling it a day.

Why are there Malta hanging around in PI like a gang?  That's not their MO. Carnies?  Not really their thing either.  Nemesis groups? Well, that's just another Nemesis plot. Perhaps if either had someone handing out flyers or spouting invitations to their organizations (i.e., recruitment) then it might make more sense (like Council on soap boxes or Crey people in SW Bricks). It's not just 50+ groups that shouldn't be hanging around like low level street thugs.  But it was an MMO thing back in the day, it didn't have to make sense.  

Some of us at 50 don't care for incarnate things; or dislike roaming "edgelord" darkity-dark Dark Astoria, or time travelling to fight Roman soldiers (really?  why are they 45+?). We just want a bigger area than the small section of PI to casually beat up bad guys. I don't want to go into AE (I dislike the way its implemented). It would be nice to have some story and reason for street sweeping, but that seems to be a very low priority (if it exists at all) for added content.

• Thumbs Up 1