Please adjust the color of the Dual Pistols Incendiary Ammo projectiles

Flashtoo

A fix that feels like it should've been addressed by Paragon Studios before the content was released back on Live but wasn't, due to late-released content being.. maybe a little rushed. Incendiary Ammo projectile particles do not match the color of the power icon or of the DoT particles that attach to enemies after they've been hit. Most people who aren't actually the ones playing the Dual Pistols character probably don't notice that anything's wrong since they just assume the Pistols guy is using Chemical Ammo, and even the Pistols player may not notice if they typically run on large teams where particle effects are easy to miss, but when soloing, the color discrepancy is obvious:greenfire.thumb.png.68c3e2fd1d1fa94391e25a8dd073e5d6.png1849241672_fireparticlesnormal.thumb.png.94944f9104b9f561bd54ed0a06ef55e2.png

Eyedropper tool brings back #FFFFxx yellow tones for the projectiles, i.e. exactly equal red and green content, which registers to the eye as greenish when it's darkened/attenuated even though it's technically the 'purest' kind of yellow. Compare to the default fire effects that have more red than green content, for an orangey tone. Unfortunately this isn't something I can patch clientside, since the projectiles use generic shared grayscale-image particle textures and if I nudged them to be more reddish to offset the greener aspect of the coloring, and doing so would stain every other usage of those particle textures more red than they should be, so it has to be done by changing the particle FX color values serverside.

So, how to fix this? Two possibilities:

Unlock color customization for Dual Pistols.

This is IMO the less desirable option, because of the difficulty in implementing it in a satisfactory way. This option would entail either:
1) Color customization only applying to the Incendiary Ammo, which presently isn't even viewable in the tailor (only default ammo is),

2) Color customization applying to all types of ammo with the same colors, which is disappointing and counterproductive for people who want all their ammo types to be distinct from each other (in particular Incendiary and Chemical),

or

3) The dev team diving deep into the UI to not only introduce the unprecedented ability to swap powers between "modes" within the tailor interface but to allow three or even four (if you count the default ammo) separate color customizations for every power in a set, which would be amazing and cool and ideal for the players but seems extremely unlikely to happen.

Alternatively, Change the color values for the Incendiary Ammo projectile particles to a more orangey yellow.

This option gets my vote because it'd be much easier for our dev team to actually implement. Below, a mockup of what the projectile color for Incendiary Ammo probaly should look more like, globally - I did my best but of course there's only so accurate you can be when changing a 2D image of fuzzy 3D particle systems:

greenfire_fix_mockup.png.eab77f247f3f337b376e835fd852f2ab.png

I really doubt that this would piss anyone off, because the people I talked to about it when I have brought up the subject can be divided into two camps, which are "Yes, I agree, I hate that it's green, it should be orange" from the people who play with Pistols a lot and "What, isn't it orange already?" from the people who never paid that much attention. Camp A gets what they want with this change, and Camp B doesn't even notice a difference. Net gain.

Thoughts? Fix please? This seriously drives me nuts and it's not just me.

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 5

Character portrait artist for hire, PM for details!

Commissions: Closed, Sorry

6 minutes ago, TheZag said:

Having fired tracer rounds,  the color they emit isnt the color of the fires they start.  But this is a superhero game and being able to edit the color would be nice.

That, and you usually have to stop and reload at some point...

1 hour ago, Flashtoo said:

Eyedropper tool brings back #FFFFxx yellow tones for the projectiles, i.e. exactly equal red and green content, which registers to the eye as greenish when it's darkened/attenuated even though it's technically the 'purest' kind of yellow.

Yellow.png.0c5bf4eb39025e226664313c87616a28.pngActually, if you start with a pure yellow -- 0xFFFF00 -- and lower the brightness, you'll find that the color does turn into an olive green color. This is laid out in more detail here. This has been known for centuries, and is an artifact of color perception, the same way we can't have bright browns or violets

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Flashtoo said:

Unlock color customization for Dual Pistols.

This is IMO the less desirable option, because of the difficulty in implementing it in a satisfactory way. This option would entail either:
1) Color customization only applying to the Incendiary Ammo, which presently isn't even viewable in the tailor (only default ammo is),

2) Color customization applying to all types of ammo with the same colors, which is disappointing and counterproductive for people who want all their ammo types to be distinct from each other (in particular Incendiary and Chemical),

or

3) The dev team diving deep into the UI to not only introduce the unprecedented ability to swap powers between "modes" within the tailor interface but to allow three or even four (if you count the default ammo) separate color customizations for every power in a set, which would be amazing and cool and ideal for the players but seems extremely unlikely to happen.

Or we can ask the devs to take the Swap Ammo power and make all three options listed as separate powers for color customization. So the costume creator/editor would show "Incendiary Ammunition", "Cryo Ammunition", and "Chemical Ammunition" with selectable palettes for each. No need for swapping modes in the creator/editor. Just a break down list with palette options.

Edit: For clarification, the list would go Pistols, Dual Wield, Empty Clips, Incendiary Ammunition, Cryo Ammunition, Chemical Ammunition, and so on. (Edit again: And it would use the Pistols animation to show what the shot looks like.)

Edited by Rudra

34 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Yellow.png.0c5bf4eb39025e226664313c87616a28.pngActually, if you start with a pure yellow -- 0xFFFF00 -- and lower the brightness, you'll find that the color does turn into an olive green color. This is laid out in more detail here. This has been known for centuries, and is an artifact of color perception, the same way we can't have bright browns or violets

I am aware of this and intended to convey said awareness in my post, but apparently I'm bad at communication.

1 hour ago, TheZag said:

Having fired tracer rounds,  the color they emit isnt the color of the fires they start.  But this is a superhero game and being able to edit the color would be nice.

I believe this but at this time, the color of the fire they emit is so greenish in color that at first when I made my Pistol characters I kept getting confused about 'Wait, I meant to put in Incendiary, not Chemical.' Yellow is a fine fire color. I just think that for the sake of visual design, it'd be better for it to be a more school-bus yellow than lemon-lime yellow.

• Retired Developer

I'm willing to entertain a more orange and more red palette since the power customization route might be less likely to happen in a reasonable amount of time, and the green color is a bit of an odd choice in context.

There are what looks like 7 particle files for the trails, each using about 3 colors each (start color, be color by time x), so sorting out the new palette is a bit more work than changing just one basic color for the FX (all of which are definitely yellows and greens).

If I can get some video of the results, I'll try and get 2 options to choose from and post them here in the future for which would go on beta, if approved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Naomi said:

I'm willing to entertain a more orange and more red palette since the power customization route might be less likely to happen in a reasonable amount of time, and the green color is a bit of an odd choice in context.

There are what looks like 7 particle files for the trails, each using about 3 colors each (start color, be color by time x), so sorting out the new palette is a bit more work than changing just one basic color for the FX (all of which are definitely yellows and greens).

If I can get some video of the results, I'll try and get 2 options to choose from and post them here in the future for which would go on beta, if approved.

Wow, what a fast response! Thank you so much!

Unsurprising that it's multiple color values that need adjusting.

I remember making this exact same suggestion back when Swap ammo was still a click power in beta and being told by one of the Devs “You ain’t shooting fire outcha guns” and I still stand by the idea that this color change should be done.