Who took my name???

Ad Delirium

We should have some kind of Name Policy to keep people from keeping names they aren't using...

Oh wait...

Bringing logic and reason to an emotional showdown is like bringing a gun to a nuclear missle contest.

In a more negative tone, if you fight with the pigs you get shit on you.

This one is hilarious.

We heard for years that 'all the good names were taken' yet we continued to make fun names until Live was no more.

Will there be jerks that make accounts just to camp names? Sure, jerks will be jerks.

The HC server runners have already done some data diving so they know how the lay of the land.

At last published count that I saw, one player had 277 characters, the highest single number.

Don't get me wrong, I lost a couple new-to-me cool names when I moved servers here already, I am not immune.

I get that it is a bummer to have a concept someone else beat you at making.

Like others, I simply changed them a little and like mine better now.

In the end though, this is a purely emotional thing and you can never please all of the people.

Bringing logic and reason to an emotional showdown is like bringing a gun to a nuclear missle contest.

... if you bring the right gun, you still win ... :D

dd8b6ff9a7852ab3bc903dcc28a0fccd14d6c351_hq.jpg

• Thanks 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

We should have some kind of Name Policy to keep people from keeping names they aren't using...

Oh wait...

Not really a fan of that policy.  Then again, I regularly do a login cycle to shuffle everyone to their day jobs, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.  I'm assuming that even logging in for a second would be enough.

Oh wait...

Except it is trivial to get to level 50.

So the implicaiton here is that someone would would level to 50 just to camp a name?

Really?

I know better than to post about it, but really, that's what it sounds like this idea implies.

Jerks are going to be jerks I guess, that seems like some dedicated jerkery to me...

Note there was a good number of people playing this before it went public. I would have hammered out any and every name I could think of if I was there early on.
I got Witchfire, Malfeasance, Roughtrade and Psychic on the server I wanted, and I came to the game a week and a half late.  I am really glad the early players were not jerks who would hammer out any and every name they could think of early on.

I've gotten everything outside of three, Banner, Shutdown or even Lockdown, and Amp. Nobody has mentioned a name I would have gone for. In other words, even if I went and grabbed all I could, my impact would have been a sliver. Yes, missing out on a name you really want and might even have been a main on live really does suck, but when it is painfully obvious, you have to understand you are playing with fire in terms of always being able to get it.

FYI, I got Waterpark. I feel like I have no clue how that wasn't taken. I checked and wasn't surprised to see Waterslide already was taken. Sometimes you get an obvious name, sometimes you don't.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

FYI, I got Waterpark. I feel like I have no clue how that wasn't taken. I checked and wasn't surprised to see Waterslide already was taken. Sometimes you get an obvious name, sometimes you don't.

I really hope you find Waterslide and get to team up with them.  That is 100% a comic I would read, based on names alone.

Pink Champagne (Emp/Rad)

Guide of Misguidance (Dark/Regen)

I will admit I ended up camping a few names before sunset, but each of those names ended up on a level 50 character when I finally found an AT and powerset I liked for each one. In most cases they were just multiple false starts (like my Peacebringer Solar Fury started as a fire/fire blaster, a fire/something controller, a fire/fire tanker, etc).

• 2 years later
14 minutes ago, Spectre7878 said:

I wanted to move some of my 50s to excelsior. But literally all my names are taken. I wish they could do what champions did and use are global name so character names weren’t a issue like this. 😕

3 things

1) necropost.  interesting.  so points!  researcg chops

2) Champions sucks

3) i do not need to see 1000 Snarky clones everytime I log in.  Yeah, I know you guys want to.

Did I mention Champions sucks?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I just had to laugh awhile back when some of the roleplayers were doing double-takes and seemed absolutely boggled that there was a character named Coyotedancer running around in Packet D on Everlasting... Who WASN'T me. (It may be my global handle here, but I don't and never have had a character with the name. Somebody took advantage of that. 😝 )

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

It’s not a statement on how champions game play was. It’s about how there name policy was managed. People could get the name that wanted and we wouldn’t have accounts that may or may not been active that are sitting on names that no one will be able to use ever. So the community has the right to talk about how they feel about this subject. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Snarky said:

3 things

1) necropost.  interesting.  so points!  researcg chops

2) Champions sucks

3) i do not need to see 1000 Snarky clones everytime I log in.  Yeah, I know you guys want to.

Did I mention Champions sucks?

What server are you on Snarky?

*runs off to make Snarky Rex, Snarky?*

• Like 2

Who run Bartertown?

13 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

What server are you on Snarky?

*runs off to make Snarky Rex, Snarky?*

lol  I am on Excelsior.  And although I was a half year late to HC I was lucky enough to get Snarky (my global on live) as my Global and snagged the toon name on all but one server.  I have a kitted out duplicate 50 Dark/Dark Blaster with a 1000 or so badges on Everlasting should I ever need to bop in there for a run with peeps holding the name Snarky.  On Excelsior I do run a lot of Snarkey, Snarkbot, Snarkbringer, etc....

2 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Jumped the Snark, Snarkbite, Snarkfishing, Snark Attack, Snark In the Water, Snarkbait, Snarkfin Soup, Twinkles, Hammerhead Snark, Great White Snark, Nurse Snark...

😄

My theme tends to be one compound name.  I like Snarkbait.  I made Snarknado after twodays listening to Shark memes in General.  A Storm Summoning Water Blast Defender.  I havent levelled them.  I cannot bring myself to inflict that on a PUG team....  My SG has sadly declined the opportunity to embrace the madness.

3 hours ago, Spectre7878 said:

It’s not a statement on how champions game play was. It’s about how there name policy was managed. People could get the name that wanted and we wouldn’t have accounts that may or may not been active that are sitting on names that no one will be able to use ever. So the community has the right to talk about how they feel about this subject. 

I think the current system is fine. First come first serve and you own the name. There are plenty of names I would have liked to have gotten, and many I did get. I would rather have this then dozens of the same name running around. Just got to get creative sometimes. One consolation is the population on HC is smaller then live so there are probably many good names still not in use.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

5 hours ago, Snarky said:

Champions sucks

To be sure, the online game managed to take all the great parts of the Champions tabletop game and eliminate them.

Whereas the tabletop game was in dire need of computer assistance to run smoothly.

Great game, though. It looks like Prowlers and Paragons may be a fitting successor.

OT, I usually can get a name I like with one or two tries. But I was bitten by a radioactive thesaurus as a child.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

7 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

I just had to laugh awhile back when some of the roleplayers were doing double-takes and seemed absolutely boggled that there was a character named Coyotedancer running around in Packet D on Everlasting... Who WASN'T me. (It may be my global handle here, but I don't and never have had a character with the name. Somebody took advantage of that. 😝 )

I do the same thing with my forum handle and in-game handles, though I've bumped into people before that have been very intuitive and linked the forum handle with my at least one of my three accounts.

I would just like to report that a couple of months ago, I got a request from someone on Torchbearer if they could use the name of one of my characters there. I hadn't played the guy in months, so I logged my character off and renamed the one on Torch to something else and told him it was now his if he hurried up and used it. No charge. 

The name was Big Kahuna. Personally, I think it's a fantastic name for a character, and while I might regret it one day in the future, so far, I don't. 

So even though this thread started over 2 years ago, if you use /getglobalname to learn who's got the name you want - you have nothing to lose by sending a tell and politely asking if you can use that name. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

9 hours ago, Snarky said:

lol  I am on Excelsior.  And although I was a half year late to HC I was lucky enough to get Snarky (my global on live) as my Global and snagged the toon name on all but one server.  I have a kitted out duplicate 50 Dark/Dark Blaster with a 1000 or so badges on Everlasting should I ever need to bop in there for a run with peeps holding the name Snarky.  On Excelsior I do run a lot of Snarkey, Snarkbot, Snarkbringer, etc....

Sir Snarksalot, Snark Of Infinity, Vaulted Snark, Snarkitech, Snarkcana, Snarketype...

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

21 hours ago, Snarky said:

1) necropost. 

We're playing a 15 year old game that closed officially 8 years ago. Using time metrics when discussing it seems silly. Also, I think this is a thing forums need to do less of, there's nothing wrong with revisiting a topic that is still an issue even years later. I totally understand them wanting to talk about. There's also a number of folks who are just getting back into the game again like me so we should be mindful of that.

• Thumbs Up 4

You pay to play, having fun is ok, kill Skuls or kill Crey, hunt at night or in the day, black or white or shades of gray, play it your way, we have no say.