Wish list: +/– RES by character type

MHertz

13 minutes ago, Rudra said:

The problem comes in that people already get hung up on names.

Then use dummy names with generic themes (Greek letters, maybe). It’s the same mechanic and I’m not married to the idea of fixed, descriptive names.

The part I find annoying is that the classic superhero trope of a hero being slightly more immune to her own damage type, or even to be recharged by it, isn’t really viable here (nor is the trope that their power actually is their weakness — fighting fire with an even hotter fire). My elec/elec blaster should have a small amount of resistance to electricity, and I would take a weakness elsewhere to represent that. Yes, I know, that’s what Charged Armor is for, but such things don’t exist for every theme or damage type, and thematic stuff like that shouldn’t take you 40 levels and a power slot.

Edited by MHertz
  • Like 1

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

This is basically already in the game.

If you take a set with armor, or have an armor power, sure. And as long as you’re not exemplar’s below the level when you took the power. A Mind Controller doesn’t get psionic protection at all until epic power pools, which always seems wrong to me.

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

11 minutes ago, MHertz said:

A Mind Controller doesn’t get psionic protection at all until epic power pools, which always seems wrong to me.

That's because you are working on the assumption that being good at projecting an ability necessarily makes you good at resisting it from other sources.  That's not always the case.  I could see an argument made for some sort of control/armor AT, but otherwise, as you pointed out, there are the APPs/PPPs...

21 minutes ago, MHertz said:

If you take a set with armor, or have an armor power, sure. And as long as you’re not exemplar’s below the level when you took the power. A Mind Controller doesn’t get psionic protection at all until epic power pools, which always seems wrong to me.

Personally, I like that you can choose to build for this in the long run but you don't get it free baked in. If you want a Mind Controller who is particularly good against Psi, you can do that.

• Thumbs Up 1