Dead zone in the badge list window.

Luminara

dead_zone.thumb.jpg.be1428344a959fdd8dda4976aa35c48a.jpg

In the region I've outlined in red, tooltips don't display.  There's an invisible window blocking mouse interaction with the badge window.  The placement of that invisible window is interesting, dead center of the screen.  Wonder what it is and why it's there at all, since it's not interactive.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

If you move the badge window the no-tooltip region doesn't move with it. It stays in the center of the screen. Not entirely convinced its your own character blocking it since it doesn't seem to scale when you zoom in or out and remains there even in first-person view.

• Like 1

From Champion (Hero) and Infinity (Villain), currently playing on Everlasting.

Former member of the Hammers of Justice on Champion.

Raid leader for 'Everlasting TFs'.

Mains: Trickery Girl (Ill/Rad Controller), Burk (Sword/Shield Stalker), and 6 other complete badge characters.

Now this is interesting.  I just logged in to check the progress of a day job on my Ice/Willpower sentinel, and the dead zone isn't present.  New question on my mind is what makes that region of the screen dead.  It's not Alt+Tab, so we can strike that one off of the list.  Going to test this...

19 hours ago, lemming said:

Can confirm, though it looks like it's always from your char's head up a little, so something to do with your char.

It's not part of the character hit box or model, it's a window.  Easiest and simplest way to see the same effect is to open a mission acceptance window or /ah, then open the badge window.  With the badge window on top, the exact same behavior occurs, tooltips failing to display where it overlaps the other window.  There's an invisible, non-interactive window that sits in the center of the screen... but as I note in my last post, it's not always there, something creates it.  Some activity or action.  It's not present upon logging in, something we do creates it, and once it's created, it persists for the remainder of that gaming session.

None of the activities associated with running a tip mission (opening Contacts, selecting Tips, selecting the specific tip... everything involved with selecting and running a mission, including exiting the mission and closing the mission completion dialogue window) created the invisible window.  I also allowed myself to be defeated once to bring up the rez dialogue, and leveled up (veteran level 44), still no invisible window.

Zoning via transit hub (Rogue Isles ferry, in this test) doesn't create the invisible window.

It's not caused by entering a base, opening a vendor window, opening the salvage window, opening the Incarnates window, entering and immediately exiting the Enhancements screen, opening the recipes window or accessing a crafting station, opening enhancement/salvage/inspiration storage in a base, opening the merit vendor window, opening the ID or personal info windows, the combat attributes windows (the sticky one at the top left or the main window), the Clues or Find Contact windows, nor the Options window.

Not a result of staying in the Enhancements screen for six minutes, or exiting a base.

Abandoning a mission doesn't cause it.

Drops and getting a tip doesn't do it.

It's not pseudo-pets, this character has two (Ice Storm and Blizzard).

E-mail usage, claiming account items, nope.

Camera angle, orientation and zoom don't create the invisible window.

Selecting a newspaper mission, abandoning it and selecting a new newspaper mission didn't do it.

Earning a badge doesn't cause it.

/respec didn't do it, but I backed out immediately.  A full respec needs to be investigated, but I don't have any respecs planned for any of my characters at the moment, so that will have to wait.

AH HA!  I tested logging out to the character selection screen, and on the character I logged in to, the invisible window is there.  Logging back out to the character selection screen and back into the character I was previously playing, the invisible window is there.

That's it.  It's caused by switching characters.  I exited the game entirely, restarted the client and logged into a character.  There was no invisible window.  I logged out to the character selection screen and logged back into the same character, and the invisible window was there.

Switching characters is what creates the invisible window in the center of the screen.  It's either the logout window itself not properly terminating, or a hidden window created specifically for some purpose, though I can't fathom why switching characters would need an invisible window always active.  Wish @Faultline were around to dig into the code and figure out what's going on.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

It's not part of the character hit box or model, it's a window.  Easiest and simplest way to see the same effect is to open a mission acceptance window or /ah, then open the badge window.  With the badge window on top, the exact same behavior occurs, tooltips failing to display where it overlaps the other window.  There's an invisible, non-interactive window that sits in the center of the screen... but as I note in my last post, it's not always there, something creates it.  Some activity or action.  It's not present upon logging in, something we do creates it, and once it's created, it persists for the remainder of that gaming session.

Makes sense and nicely done with the testing on the following post