Could it be? The long awaited run on common salvage?!?

Yomo Kimyata

8 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I salute this attempt and I welcome our new inanimate carbon rod overlords.

fb61100d6f30772bcc31dbf5a868cfee.jpg

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 11/30/2022 at 3:17 PM, ScrewlooseCohh said:

Stock on hand has definitely been on the way down.

I can't say for sure, it's just conjecture. But I blame myself. I've stopped farming, so, that's 3 brutes that cap salvage every 40 minutes or so - and that salvage isn't being dropped on the AH for cheap. 
So, let's just blame page 5 for making it clear they don't really want folks to afk farm. Fine by me. I hardly ever need salvage. 

I certainly think Farmers have been keeping the prices on certain items low, yet there have been many periods (recently) when common salvage has sold for higher than the cost of uncommon salvage. This is IMO a sign of market shenanigans. I suppose it is possible that there is an extraordinary demand on the part of badgers (and there would have to be a LOT of them) who only want common salvage (for common Invention recipes), but this seems unlikely to me... it is tedious but doesn't take particularly long to get all the crafting badges if you have the influence. The SG base buffs don't allow you to craft more than one each (during period of effect) so it isn't as if the common salvage market is being swamped for Increased Perception buffs.

I haven't been paying that much attention to the Red Inspiration market, but it seems like folks are still preferentially buying those, which I associate more with active farming (outside of Hamidon raid times).

9 hours ago, Ukase said:

I think Yomo is sponsoring this fire sale of purples and pvp IOs. Or is it me? Both of us? A lot of us? Who can say with any assured accuracy? 

Heh.  I've often said that it's a lot easier to get the market to do something it already wanted to do.  There were/are a lot of stored up purples and oranges, and that's fine and dandy but there's nowhere near the amount of demand there once was.  I figured I'd get out while the getting's good and managed to sell off a lot of what I had in storage.  Which was sizeable.  I was/am a bit surprised to see the selloff continuing, but I am sure that there were/are people with stashes that dwarfed mine.  There have been mass consistent buyers of purple recipes forever, and I shudder to think of how many were being held in inventory.

So anyway, at this point, I'm just a bit player in purples and oranges, although I'm still a net seller!

Who run Bartertown?

Whatever was going on in the common salvage market seems to have ebbed. Part of me wants to believe it was a player with a lot of Inf that wanted beaucoup salvage for crafting badges (and did a poor job estimating what was necessary), but part of me thinks it was a poorly motivated market experiment... with some of that motivation being a cruel "for the lulz" bit of thinking. I have long recognized that "farmers" have helped keep AH prices low, but I don't think this was a 'supply-side effect'.

If this was an experiment, I think it was poorly motivated, even if it revealed something about the scale of the market... specifically because common salvage:

• Is common, durp
  • Is itself fungible,
  • Is trivial to collect (by turning up spawn size), finally
  • The target price point that this effort 'picked' was well below what vendor prices are for the other things that 'commonly' drop: i.e. common IO recipes for most levels,  SO enhancements.... not to mention the Inf that can roll in simply from defeats.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do have to give this person some credit (and I do think it is one person, and they may even be reading this forum.  It’s not me, but I wouldn’t tell you even if it were, so take that with a grain of salt.). 

They’ve taken down over 300k of listed commons that were all listed at over 1,000 ( I’m guessing).  It takes about 3-4 minutes for the AH to process buying or selling 1000 items.  (Don’t believe me?  Try bidding on 100x10 lots at 10k, or try selling 100x10 lots at 1.). Add in the amount of time it takes to bid 100x10 and the amount of time it takes to pull them off the AH and vendor or delete them.  Probably north of 5 minutes but let’s call it 5.  Then they did it 300 times.  Now that is commitment to a bit.

I doubt they were actually using the salvage to craft, but imagine the time suck if they did!?!

So you get a golf clap from me.  Nicely done.

Edited by Yomo Kimyata
  • Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

13 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I doubt they were actually using the salvage to craft, but imagine the time suck if they did!?

If they are intending to craft, they are doing that in an incredibly inefficient way: I found an alt with a storehouse of level 25, 30, 45, 50 common recipes (the ones with badges that provide extra inventory space)... I put them on the market for 1 inf each and they barely sold. I ran some missions to accumulate a large number of level 50s, repeated again (and it pains me to not vendor those, but only at 100KInf each) and the same thing. A few players are going to be able to vendor those at a profit, but I doubt they are going to crafting badges.

I also don't think that they are crafting to play converter roulette, because converter prices remain low (and stable).

I don't keep (or accumulate thanks to P2W choices, or market) enough non-common recipes to figure out if there is a particular niche of non-common recipes to guess if the player in question is likely working in some specific area. I also always avoided Defense sets (they always struck me as too crowded a niche) to tell if someone is in that space.

19 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

It’s not me, but I wouldn’t tell you even if it were

837956223_bicrosser10.png.566f370745fea79514057a63786120bc.png

19 hours ago, tidge said:

If they are intending to craft, they are doing that in an incredibly inefficient way: I found an alt with a storehouse of level 25, 30, 45, 50 common recipes (the ones with badges that provide extra inventory space)... I put them on the market for 1 inf each and they barely sold. I ran some missions to accumulate a large number of level 50s, repeated again (and it pains me to not vendor those, but only at 100KInf each) and the same thing. A few players are going to be able to vendor those at a profit, but I doubt they are going to crafting badges.

looney-tunes-speedy-gonzales.gif

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Now, it's started to get interesting.

If you're watching the number of items for sale, from yesterday to today there are about 100,000 additional pieces of common salvage being offered and about 25,000 additional pieces of uncommon salvage being offered (rare salvage roughly the same).

So, someone or someones spent their holiday clicking and dragging about 12,500 stacks of 10x salvage.  Ho ho ho indeed.

So what does this mean?  I didn't bother to check out at what price I thought they were offering at.

If you think that the price of common and uncommon salvage are too high, then by all means dump your stashes into these bids!  In the short term, it's easier for one person to keep up consistent bids for thousands of pieces.  But in the long run, supply from simply playing the game will vastly outweigh the potential demand for crafting purposes.  In my opinion, that is.

Who run Bartertown?

46 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

So, someone or someones spent their holiday clicking and dragging about 12,500 stacks of 10x salvage.  Ho ho ho indeed.

Even though it would break the rules, I hope they used a macro to do that.

Eugh, it's worse, you can only hold 20 stacks on a character at a time anyhow. Think of all the character slots needed just to store it all off the AH. Or just storing it in auction slots, and rotating between slots of bids to buy, stored slots, and slot offers to sell. Yuck; all those stacks would take 60-odd characters (or more if they don't all have maximum auction slots) to post for sale anyway. All this work for ... common salvage?  Eww.

This hypothetical player could leverage a wee bit more by using the vault, but the point stands: whatta waste of time (even if using a macro) and effort.

With over 15K bids on common salvage outstanding, the BIN price was something like 200 Inf.

• 2 weeks later

During the holiday, more people may have been playing and generating salvage to put on the market while they were on vacation, so it could have been a few hundred players/characters dumping 100 salvage each. 

Regarding the OP's question, one possibility is that someone just found out about Homecoming and decided they might try to control, say, the Luck Charm market like they did back on live, without realizing that salvage is fungible on the market.  I know when I first got back in the game I was very puzzled by some market phenomenon, and lost some Inf, until I found out about that (and cheap converters allowing IO interconvertability).  This market has some VERY surprising features if you think it is the same as the original game, and without coming to the forums you wouldn't know what they are.  

• 3 weeks later