about Fighting

Wavicle

30 minutes ago, Aracknight said:

Gotcha all, thanks for the bludgeoning.  

So the solution, then, is to do the same thing that was done with the Stealth pool, and have the third power in the final four remaining power pools with pre-requisites for the third power to be a travel power.

Please add +Runspeed to Tough.

Please add +Jumpheight to Intimidate

Please add +Flight to Tactics

Please add +Teleport to Aid Self.

These are all negotiable also.  Aid self could make you run faster or Tough could make you fly faster.  I don't give a shit.  There's a ton of these single slot wonders you can slot Defense IOs in with no prerequisite, and exactly one that gives resistance, other than Rune of Protection which is a t5.    You all scream about the slippery slope of power creep when blasters, who used to be nicknamed floor-eaters, can solo the ITF.  The barn door is closed.  All but four horses are already long, long gone.

Summation: "If I can't get my power creep one way, I'll ask for it another way."

(Edit: "Dang it! That rancher still has 4 horses left!")

Edited by Rudra
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Summation: "If I can't get my power creep one way, I'll ask for it another way."

(Edit: "Dang it! That rancher still has 4 horses left!")

Summation:  I'm like a pigeon knocking over all the pieces on the chessboard, shitting everywhere, and declaring checkmate.

Edited by Aracknight
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

28 minutes ago, Aracknight said:

Summation:  I'm like a pigeon knocking over all the pieces on the chessboard, shitting everywhere, and declaring checkmate.

Tough is already part of the Holy Quad of Fighting, Speed, Leadership, and Leaping. With Tough being one of the primary powers that are sought after. So your response is to take an already premium power and make it more powerful by adding a travel component to it. That's worse than the previous asks in other threads of just taking away the prerequisite. Becuase now it becomes that it shouldn't have a prerequisite since it is a travel power, on top of giving very good smash/lethal resist. Same thing with Tactics which can already be used not only to boost your perception and chance to hit, but your damage as well. Of course, Maneuvers and Assault being the prerequisites for Tactics means you don't hear complaints about Tactics having prerequisites in the first place.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct the spelling of "because".
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Rudra said:

Tough is already part of the Holy Quad of Fighting, Speed, Leadership, and Leaping. With Tough being one of the primary powers that are sought after. So your response is to take an already premium power and make it more powerful by adding a travel component to it. That's worse than the previous asks in other threads of just taking away the prerequisite. Becuae now it becomes that it shouldn't have a prerequisite since it is a travel power, on top of giving very good smash/lethal resist. Same thing with Tactics which can already be used not only to boost your perception and chance to hit, but your damage as well. Of course, Maneuvers and Assault being the prerequisites for Tactics means you don't hear complaints about Tactics having prerequisites in the first place.

Raar, me disagree and bludgeon more from perceived higher ground!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Rudra said:

Maneuvers and Assault being the prerequisites for Tactics means you don't hear complaints about Tactics having prerequisites in the first place.

This is literally the whole point right here. The prereqs should be good on their own, just like they are in Leadership.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

This is literally the whole point right here. The prereqs should be good on their own, just like they are in Leadership.

If you look at my posts in this thread, I'm not arguing against making Boxing or Kick any better. I don't actually have an opinion on that. My very first post on this thread was to comment that despite @Aracknight's comment, @BrandX's comment that Jump Kick is comparable to the two is valid. It is, or was rather, one of the two possible prerequisite powers for Super Leap and it is mechanically equivalent to Boxing and Kick. At equal level tiers in their pools, they are comparable. My next two comments were in response to @Aracknight's comment to make already premium powers even better in the name of removing their prerequisites.

As was stated earlier in the thread though, any changes must be equal and balanced across the board. Make the pool attacks equal to secondary set attacks of T1 magnitude? Don't care, as long as the prerequisites themselves are not removed. Especially using the line of reasoning that the actually desired pwoers be buffed up to be even better than they already are for the sole purpose of doing away with their prerequisites.

Edit: I'll make you a bet though. My bet is that no matter how much Boxing and Kick (and Jump Kick) are buffed, people are still going to complain that they are useless powers as a tax. Because they are attacks rather than defensive toggles or other self-buff.

Edited by Rudra

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

Edit: I'll make you a bet though. My bet is that no matter how much Boxing and Kick (and Jump Kick) are buffed, people are still going to complain that they are useless powers as a tax. Because they are attacks rather than defensive toggles or other self-buff.

I won't take that bet, because I'm sure you're right. However, if Boxing and/or Kick were as good as Arcane Bolt or even Air Superiority, I would not be one of those people.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rudra said:

If you look at my posts in this thread, I'm not arguing against making Boxing or Kick any better. I don't actually have an opinion on that. My very first post on this thread was to comment that despite @Aracknight's comment, @BrandX's comment that Jump Kick is comparable to the two is valid. It is, or was rather, one of the two possible prerequisite powers for Super Leap and it is mechanically equivalent to Boxing and Kick. At equal level tiers in their pools, they are comparable. My next two comments were in response to @Aracknight's comment to make already premium powers even better in the name of removing their prerequisites.

As was stated earlier in the thread though, any changes must be equal and balanced across the board. Make the pool attacks equal to secondary set attacks of T1 magnitude? Don't care, as long as the prerequisites themselves are not removed. Especially using the line of reasoning that the actually desired pwoers be buffed up to be even better than they already are for the sole purpose of doing away with their prerequisites.

Yeah, I'm sure people will still say that, but at least, I wouldn't 😛  I'd go, they're good attacks!  Better than so and so's t1/t2 option 😛

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wavicle said:

I won't take that bet, because I'm sure you're right. However, if Boxing and/or Kick were as good as Arcane Bolt or even Air Superiority, I would not be one of those people.

Agree. 

Also, were punch “headbutt” (and corresponding animation) with a KD, I’d use it all the time. And laugh every time.

Edited by Nyghtmaire
Removed contraction

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I'm pretty sure I already said it in this thread, but I will say it again. I would really like if they just added a third t1 power to the pool. A short ranged attack, maybe a throwing knife. Make it on par with punch for damage, and give it some comparable secondary effect. The reason I don't usually bother with the fighting pool, is that on most of my toons that would get the most out of it, I prefer to stay OUT of melee range. I will happily take a prereq power IF I think I will use it. Hack, I took the single target fear from presence because I wanted access to the aoe fear. But I really don't like taking a completely useless power.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later

personally i take the fighting pool on nearly every character. I rarely use tough, weave on the other hand is my bread and butter. However i do agree that punch and kick are lackluster compared to their power pool counterparts. Block is an excellent suggestion a power that roots and reduces incoming dmg by a set % either give it a long recharge or make the % low for balance perhaps. 

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?